JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Cross posted in DDC -- UPDATE #8 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2718100-cross-posted-ddc-update-8-a.html)

AnnaBonana April 26th, 2014 06:36 PM

Cross posted in DDC -- UPDATE #8

How is everyone feeling post partum? I mean vaginally?

I'm three weeks out now and still having some issues. I know there was a lot of tearing from the birth, front back and sideways. But three weeks later and I'm still feeling some burning/stinging in the stitched area when I pee. Also things are very, very tender! I tried to touch today to see what was up and the opening feels very, very swollen still. That's the first time I've tried to touch it, though.

How long did it take you to heal? I didn't think things would still be this sore. I just looked with a mirror and I can still see some string hanging down from the stitches at the back. As well, (waaaaaay TMI!) the vaginal opening itself looks very strange. I'm kind of creeped out but I've never done this before so not really sure how things should be.

Thanks ladies!

EverydayJoy April 27th, 2014 09:36 PM

Re: Cross posted in DDC

I didn't have that much soreness 3 weeks later. Actually we DTD at 4 weeks out, I believe. So I was pretty well healed up. But I didn't have a lot of tearing this time around, either. If you had extensive tearing then I can imagine it taking a longer time to heal. Everyone is different, too, and your body may be a bit depleted thanks to supporting the baby for 9 months (and beyond!).
My suggestion would be to do sitz baths with healing herbs. Here's a link to one that I haven't tried personally but I like the company's products. Postpartum Recovery Bath Herbs - reduce swelling and speed postpartum healing
If you don't have the thingy to do sitz baths (little plastic insert that goes over your toilet), you can toss the herbs in your bathtub and soak that way. I would definitely recommend it, though. I used herbs that the hospital gave me in sitz baths after my first, and recovery really went well. I had a deep 2nd/almost 3rd degree tear, and it healed well and I wasn't too sore after birth. I was surprised...I expected to not be able to sit down for a week or two. But it wasn't like that at all. I had to sit gingerly, of course, right at first, but it seems like it went well. With Kody, my second, I used a healing ointment:
All Natural Healing Cream
It also went well and I recovered fairly quickly. Medicinal herbs can really help speed healing and support your body in recovery.
Also, something I wanted to get but didn't end up doing is called "New Mama Bottom Spray", and it helps with the soreness and helps keep the area clean and free from infection.
New Mama Bottom Spray - Eases discomfort of postpartum soreness, swelling, episiotomies and hemorrhoids

Just some ideas! I'm sorry you're so sore still! But I think it's understandable.

Also, about the appearance...I was too scared to even look at myself in the mirror after my first (I expected it to look like a war zone down there!). I think I didn't look till after 6 weeks was up. This time around I looked sooner and yeah, it looked pretty bad at first, but things are more or less back to normal now. Swelling all by itself can really distort how the skin looks. I wouldn't worry too much about the appearance until after the swelling goes down and healing is well on its way. Chances are it will never look exactly the same, especially if there was a lot of tearing. But it will probably look a lot better than it does right now.

PS, if you get the herbal cream, I would apply it several times a day (or as often as you can remember to). If you do the sitz bath/herbal bath routine, then I would do them once a day until you are feeling better. Also if you take extra vitamin C that will help give your body a boost on healing too.

cortln April 28th, 2014 07:58 AM

I'm sorry your still feeling sore :( I had 4th degree tears (hole to hole) sorry TMI. My daughter tore through my sphincter muscle as well so I had problems controlling BM's. I didn't fully recovery & had surgery 5 months later. This is uncommon though so I'm sure it's not the case with you (I don't want to freak you out). Just keep an eye on your symptoms, call the Dr. if you think things are strange, ex - if you start feeling air (gas) coming out of the wrong spot or other strange things. Otherwise just mention to your Dr. your still sore and you want to get checked out to be sure everything is healing properly.

melissalaw April 28th, 2014 01:22 PM

With Jackson my dr cut me and it took forever to heal. It hurt like crazy for weeks. With Christian I just had a small tear that required a few stitches and it only hurt for a few days. I hope you feel better soon. It sucks.

AnnaBonana April 29th, 2014 01:35 AM

Thanks girls. Joy, I did take a long site bath last night in post partum healing herbs. I only did that the first week an now I'm realizing I should have all along.

I did call the midwife yesterday because it feels like it is getting worse and worse. She told me to try and get lots of "air time" by sitting naked when I can. I am going in today for an exam to make sure everything is ok. S, hopefully I'm just being paranoid and all is good!

humnck April 29th, 2014 08:07 AM

I hope things heal soon, it does suck. I had an episiotomy and tore on top of that with DD1 and it felt like forever before I was back to normal. It was about 3.5 weeks before I felt sort of back to normal. With DD2, I tore a little and wasn't sore for nearly as long, maybe 2 weeks, but it wasn't as intense.

cortln April 29th, 2014 11:52 AM

Keep us posted!! Glad you are getting checked out :)

AnnaBonana April 29th, 2014 07:15 PM

Re: Cross posted in DDC -- UPDATE #8

So my midwife looked at me today. I'm so upset.

I haven't done my birth story yet but I'll get there. In the meantime I'll tell you that the birth went perfectly. The problem came after when they had to do ninety minutes worth of stitching and the lidocaine did not take. I've had procedures done before, twice, where the freezing didn't work on me and now I'm thinking that it just doesn't work on me. She said she used eight vials of it and I felt every single stitch. It was the most horrific experience of my life. I feel like I could give birth again standing on my head in comparison to the horror that was being sewn up with no (or faulty) pain relief.

So, I have separated stitches as well as stitches that haven't dissolved. She said she is pretty sure that the separation will heal on its own but the three stitches need to come out. She tried touching them and the pain was so severe I screamed and started to cry.

When she tried to touch them again I just told her not to. I can't do it. So, she said she would give it a week as there are no signs of infection and next week she will have to remove them.

I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow to talk about Isabell's reflux and I am going to ask him for some kind of prescription. Can they not sell me some kind of numbing agent? I mean for when my midwife goes to take them out. I know the lidocaine didn't work but maybe there is another kind.

I've been so upset all day. Between the SPD and now this, I've been in pain for months and I'm so tired of moving gingerly and hurting all the time.

Between now and then I am to do loads of sitz baths and air drying, as well as using the peri care bottle and hair dryer after I pee.

So that's my update. I know it could be worse but Still..... This sucks.

cortln April 30th, 2014 06:37 AM

:( With my 4th degree tears I felt every stictch as well and screamed in pain the whole time. Very horrible experience. I was diagnosed with a rectovaginal fistula about 6 - 8 weeks after my daughter was born. I have no idea what the outcome of your injuries will be, crossing my fingers it heals up. Maybe if you see a new Dr. get another opinion about what may be going on, you need to know what's happening asap.

cortln April 30th, 2014 07:00 AM

If you need to chat feel free to email me. Send me a message and I'll give you my email.

humnck April 30th, 2014 07:37 AM

I'm not sure if you can use it or if it will even work since the lidocaine didn't, but I used Dermoplast, it has Benzocaine in it, which is similar to lidocaine, but slightly different. Maybe ask your caregiver about it? You can buy it over the counter, but I would ask them if it is safe, they gave it to me at the hospital after both of my girl's births.

EverydayJoy April 30th, 2014 08:52 AM

Wow that sucks so bad! I'm so sorry you have this going on. How awful!
I would definitely demand some sort of pain relief and don't let her touch you until she can get it numbed. I bet they could do a nerve block if they can't find a topical pain relief that works. I'm surprised they did all that stitching up without even trying to figure out some sort of alternative pain relief. I hope you can heal up soon!

Schofield06 April 30th, 2014 01:02 PM

That sounds terrible! I'm so sorry. I hope you're able to get some pin relief and you heal up quickly!

To be honest though, i'm still not completely healed and it's been almost 2 months. I don't think I was ever in quite so much pain as you are though. I'm so sorry!

AnnaBonana May 1st, 2014 07:54 PM

Thanks girls... I'm back to sitz baths as often as I can, but with DH away so,often it's really once a day. TMI but my pp bleeding is done with so I've been wearing loose jogging pants around the house with no undies. My midwife said to get the air at it as much as possible. I'm blow drying and using the peri bottle often as well. All of this is helping me feel better-- there is less burning and pain already.

I'm really hoping the skin around the stitches heals between now and the sixth, enough that it doesn't hurt so much to have them touched. My doctor told me to get some Emla cream to apply to the area before she takes them out but touching them is horrifying!

Anyhow in feeling less upset, if nothing else, and that is worth a lot as well!

EverydayJoy May 1st, 2014 10:47 PM

I'm glad to hear you're seeing an improvement! That's great that you're getting such quick results. I hope by the time your appointment comes up, you are feeling much better!
Question--is Emla cream over the counter? I thought you needed an Rx for that. I would definitely try it beforehand to make sure it worked for you before you go in for the appt! That way you know whether or not it's going to help.

AnnaBonana May 2nd, 2014 02:04 AM

It's not over the counter now... I'm pretty sure it used to be though. Good idea on the trying first, I'm going to get some early now! I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Sunrise May 2nd, 2014 06:13 AM

Joint the convo late...I didn't start feeling normal down there until about 3m pp. When I'd look with a mirror, it was a scary sight to me :) I didn't even have "damage". Provider gave me 2 stitches and said I didn't even need them for a teeny tear. I'd done kegals as directed-then stopped, but still felt "open" below. A lady I met suggested to continue kegals- that helped. Should have continued doing them after those first 6 weeks apparently. As for those 2 stitches, now (4m out) I can still feel exactly where they were. I hate stitches. I can't imagine the sensation when you've mad many of them.

cortln May 5th, 2014 06:47 AM

Glad your feeling better :)