JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Unbelievably Bad News - Job Related (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2718296-unbelievably-bad-news-job-related.html)

lelila April 28th, 2014 11:59 AM

Unbelievably Bad News - Job Related

I just got a call from my boss. I've been laid off. I'm in shock. I make a really good salary and we can't afford for me not to work. The problem is, we live in a very rural area and I telecommute for a company in NYC, so there isn't comparable work in my area. I'll never be able to secure another position/salary like this one.

I'm lost.

I don't even know how to process this. I've been with this company for 16 years.

EverydayJoy April 28th, 2014 12:03 PM

Re: Unbelievably Bad News - Job Related

Oh my gosh Leia. I'm so sorry. Did they even give you a good reason as to why they laid you off? Especially what with being with them for 16 years! Ack!

melissalaw April 28th, 2014 12:09 PM

Oh no Leia I'm so sorry that this happened. I hope they gave you a good reason. Are they laying other's off also?

I hope you are able to find something else that is somewhat comparable in salary.

lelila April 28th, 2014 12:44 PM

It is a legitimate lay off. The client/account I and several others worked on has dropped us. We've all been let go.

humnck April 28th, 2014 01:02 PM

I am so sorry! Are they giving you any kind of severance package? You can collect unemployment right? I know that doesn't even touch what your salary is, but at least it is something. My DH was laid off a few years ago, got a job, then got let go again, it was a tough time, but we made it through.

Hugs!

MelChicago April 28th, 2014 01:47 PM

Oh no! I'm so sorry- what a horrible shock.

I hope once the initial blow passes, you can find some way to look forward.

Boos Moo April 28th, 2014 01:51 PM

Leia I'm so sorry! I would be in shock also after working with them for so long. I really hope you can find some new work quickly. Lots of hugs during this stressful time.

MoonAngel702 April 28th, 2014 03:16 PM

OMG Leia I am SO sorry to hear this :( How horrible! Sending you huge (((HUGS)))

Ame C April 28th, 2014 04:21 PM

That's devastating! I'm so sorry :( I hope y'all can figure something out soon.

geogeek April 28th, 2014 04:44 PM

I am so sorry. :dothug:

AnnaBonana April 29th, 2014 12:31 AM

Oh Leia, I'm so sorry to hear this. What devastating news.

((Hugs))

JackieV April 29th, 2014 01:34 AM

OH I am so sorry to hear this. I couldn't even imagine being in your position :( ((HUGS))

lelila April 29th, 2014 05:05 AM

Well, the shock has sort of worn off. DH and I talked it over last night and we have a plan in place. I qualify for unemployment and will file for it - that lasts up to 2 years. I've been paying into it for 22 years, I might as well get some of it back right?

Since I'm out of work now, I don't need daycare. That is kind of a relief. I didn't want to leave my baby so soon, and now I can stay with him longer and breastfeed longer.

I can also put in a bigger garden and more chickens, geese, ducks and turkeys. We'll live off the land even more than we did before.

I'm also considering keeping DS1 home next fall and homeschooling. That's still TBD. So, the plan is in place and we'll make the best of it.

Ame C April 29th, 2014 10:21 AM

That actually sounds really good. A blessing in disguise maybe? Spending more time with your boys sounds like it will be wonderful.

humnck April 29th, 2014 12:21 PM

I am glad that you have a plan in place. I have had 2 friends who were laid off while on or right before maternity leave. They ended up being able to stay home with their babies for a while longer and then ended up with better jobs when they were ready. I hope this happens for you too!

Boos Moo April 29th, 2014 12:46 PM

So glad you have a plan. Wishing you luck that everything works out great for you.

EverydayJoy April 30th, 2014 06:31 AM

I'm glad you're able to figure out what to do to make it work. I think being home with the kids sounds great too. Good luck!

Schofield06 April 30th, 2014 11:53 AM

Glad you have a plan. That is so scary!