JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy Over 35 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f326-pregnancy-over-35/)
-   -   intro (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f326-pregnancy-over-35/2705455-intro.html)

bradybunches January 27th, 2014 12:24 PM

intro

Hello,
I'm Andrea, mom to 5 children, 12, 10, 8, 6 and our almost 2 yr old.

We were done after this last one. I'm fine with her being my sweet little baby that I get to spoil.

Last night we got a shock, a plus sign. We were using b/c too and going for a more permanent solution in the near future.

Right now, I don't feel excited or happy and I'm wondering how we're going to fit a new one in the house. We know our vehicles won't work so we have to decide which vehicle goes and what to get now. Daycare expense, HOW to tell my boss (who already thinks i'm crazy for having so many kids) and the fact that I'm terrified because I'll be 41.

My husband reminds me that it's all God's plan, that it will work out and with 2 smart resourceful people like ourselves, we'll get it figured out.

I was 39 when last baby was born so know the tests from then but seems there are new ones now? Maternit21? I don't know. Since I'm over 40, will I need different tests and monitoring too? Do I need to make an appt right away, sooner than the 8 weeks I normally have?

Thanks for reading

Boos Moo January 27th, 2014 04:27 PM

Re: intro

Hello Andrea, congrats and welcome.
I can imagine your surprise since you thought you were done. You're DH seems like a smart guy, and don't let the other stuff stress you out, you've got time to figure it out.
I'm 43 and didn't take the Maternit21, so I have no idea what that one looks for or covers. I opted for the CVS test. And I know women younger than 35 get some of these tests as well (at least some of the ones in my DDC do). I think the tests would be the same as for your 2 year old, unless you had complications or your health has changed. The amount of monitoring will depend on your doctor and how your pregnancy progresses. And with this pregnancy they still wouldn't see me until I was 8 weeks, but that might vary depending on doctors.

sandel07 January 27th, 2014 05:45 PM

I had Marternit21 when pregnant with my daughter at 41. The test, a simple blood test can be done as early as 9 or 10 weeks, so if you test positive you have plenty of time to decide whether to do additional testing. The test if I remember correctly tests for trisomy 13, 18 and 21. My Maternity21 test was negative and gave me a great deal of relief. God luck!!

bradybunches January 29th, 2014 01:24 PM

Thanks ladies :)

Do I need the Materniti21 through my doctor's office? I am definitely going to ask about all testing.

Boos Moo January 29th, 2014 06:34 PM

Check with your doctor or insurance. I had my testing through a genetic counselor, but probably any lab can draw it and send it off to the lab.

My2miracles January 30th, 2014 11:14 AM

Congrats! I had my 1st at 36 and my 2nd at 40. I didn't do any additional testing. After asking many questions, my doctor admitted that my only "risk" factor was my age. And now I have extremely healthy kids - 7 & 11.