JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy Questions (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1191-pregnancy-questions/)
-   -   hot bath (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1191-pregnancy-questions/2533901-hot-bath.html)

lovelyenchanted May 31st, 2012 07:36 PM

hot bath

sorry, this is a duplicate post... I originally posted in due date club instead of here, but I thought maybe more people would see it here...

I'm a fan of hot baths. Since I've been pregnant (I'm only 5 weeks) I've been avoiding hot and sticking to "warm." Tonight I felt like utter crap and was freezing, so I made the water a little hotter than it probably should have been... As soon as I got the "too warm" feeling and felt a little flushed, I turned on cold water to cool off, and got out within the next 2 minutes...

Now, I'm reading online that hot baths can cause miscarriage an neural tube defect...

And of course I'm crampy, I feel like crap, and now I'm terrified I'm gonna make myself lose this baby bean...

Did I really screw up with 1 hot bath?!

Mom2Brendan June 2nd, 2012 01:10 PM

Re: hot bath

Hot baths I don't think are too big of a worry it's more of Hot tubs or heated pools that are things to not be using.

MissCandi June 11th, 2012 12:39 PM

I wouldn't worry unless you're bleeding. Cramps are very common and can range from little pinches to full on pms like cramps that come and go.
Mine have gotten so bad that I felt like I could start any minute. But my doctor said "As long as you aren't bleeding, it's normal."

Also, hot baths are fine as long as they don't raise your body temperature above 102. It goes for ANYTHING that can get hot (hot baths, hot tubs, heated pools...)

My doctor told me that it would be fine as long as it couldn't turn your skin red. So there's no need to measure the temperature of the water.

beamermarie June 12th, 2012 07:50 AM

I've read that baths are dangerous because if your body temperature rises, you can sweat, feel the air cool your skin, let heat out through your scalp, ect. Baby can NOT do any of that... he/she just cooks. I've read numerous things that say nothing over 102 degrees! Maybe speak with your doctor. I'm sure what you described is fine, but I wouldn't make a habit of long, hot baths.

Have you thought about scheduling a massage at a local spa? Many specialize in pregnancy.

.:Kati:. June 17th, 2012 03:32 AM

I had a hot bath everynight while i was pregnant with my son,through out the whole pregnancy as it helped with my aches and pains. Nothing happened to him.

joelsmom June 27th, 2012 08:55 AM

Hot baths are fine. Hot tubs are different because the water keeps getting heated.

roseyg76 June 29th, 2012 07:49 AM

I made a big boo boo in the 'hot bath' department when I was pregnant with my son.... I took more hot baths than I can count because it seemed to be the only thing that would ease my aches and pains. My little bambino turned out just fine, so try not to worry. Especially since you got out so quickly, I think you are gonna be fine. Thanks for posting this though, because I only thought I had to avoid hot tubs and jacuzzis, not hot baths-I will definitely find another way to ease my discomfort this time around! :-)

pugloving June 30th, 2012 09:47 AM

I took some really hot baths super early in my pregnancy because I didn't know you weren't supposed to. Once I found out, I stopped. I have heard the HB and seen a normal developing baby so far...

windywoodsmama July 13th, 2012 06:53 PM

My midwife told me a bath (or hot tub) should be below 100 degrees. She said spend short periods in it and if you begin feeling hot or flushed, it's time to get out.