JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pumping Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f332-pumping-mommies/)
-   -   Pumping? Planning to pump? Come on in! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f332-pumping-mommies/2654638-pumping-planning-to-pump-come.html)

ThaiSpice May 30th, 2013 08:17 AM

Pumping? Planning to pump? Come on in!

Are you pumping full-time or part-time? New to pumping or BTDT? Have a question or just need support? Say hello and make yourself at home! Let's support each other!

Mommyof2with1onway May 30th, 2013 11:04 AM

Re: Pumping? Planning to pump? Come on in!

Part time pumping while I am at work and to build up a stash for when j have to go out and about (like to get my massage next week)

Missa_Mae May 30th, 2013 11:15 AM

I am an exclusive pumper ... love to hate it!

ThaiSpice May 30th, 2013 12:36 PM

Yay...glad to see you guys over here! This board was really active when I was pumping 3 years ago, and the support was great. I'd love to have that again.

Here's my intro for those who don't know me: I'm Kimberly, mother of two. I pumped part time for my oldest for 13 months, and breast fed her for 29 months total. I'm pumping again for #2. I had to pump in the hospital for a couple of days before my baby was able to eat anything (in NICU). And once she started BF, I kept pumping once a day in the early morning, as well as hand expressing some here & there. I've got a nice stash going, for when I return to work. Hoping to pump until my baby is 12 months, though I know what a struggle it can be. We'll take it one step at a time.

ltemp45 June 19th, 2013 07:34 AM

My name is Lana. My son Riggs was born May 28th. I tried breastfeeding, but he is a lazy eater and got very tempermental when I would try to position him etc. Then my breast milk would leak all over so I said forget this and started pumping. I also supplement with formula. I really hate pumping, but want him to have some breast milk versus just formula.

ThaiSpice June 19th, 2013 07:46 AM

Hi there, and welcome! I understand hating pumping...it is definitely not for the faint hearted! Good luck to you, though. And if you have any questions, or just need to complain, feel free!

I'm Kimberly, by the way. I have two girls, and and BF and pumping for #2 right now.

blueeyes25s June 26th, 2013 02:35 AM

Hi I'm Dawn, I had my son Ashton April 22nd. I started pumping pretty much right away when I go home from the hosptial to put start a freezer stash; which I have a nice stash going btw.

I just returned to work on Monday so now I have only been nursing when I am home and pumping at work.

ThaiSpice June 27th, 2013 06:16 AM

Hey Dawn!

Blah for being back at work, but that's great that you have a nice stash! Always good for peace of mind. :)

LUSHaye September 15th, 2013 11:47 AM

So I've actually got a ways to go before I breastfeed or pump. I'd like to do both since I know there will be times when I'm not there to breastfeed, like when I go back to work.

Would it be easier to start pumping right away to get a good stash going? Or should I wait until a bit before I plan on returning to work?
If I get a good enough stash going, I'll probably invest in a small extra freezer so that my actual freezer doesn't get taken over.
Could I breastfeed and pump at the same time or would that be inadvisable?

ThaiSpice September 16th, 2013 08:40 AM

Hi and welcome!

You may hear different opinions about that--a lot of people will say to wait until breastfeeding is established (6-12 weeks) to start pumping. However, you can pump from the beginning, and if you know you'll need a stash for when you go back to work, it might be helpful.

With #1, I only pumped occasionally when I was on maternity leave, and I have a very small stash saved up by the time I went back to work. I ended up struggling with supply issues, and even though I kept pumping until 13 months, I got to a point where I had to supplement (maybe around 8-9 months) occasionally because I wasn't pumping enough, even though I'd had an oversupply in the beginning.

With #2 I had to start pumping in the hospital right away because my baby couldn't eat anything by mouth for the first 36 hours. I kept on pumping or hand expressing after that--mostly in the early morning after her feeding, but also occasionally throughout the day. I wanted to take advantage of the oversupply to help build up a stash. I had around 1200 ounces stashed by the time I went back to work, I think. And so far, no supply issues yet, but knowing I have a stash really helps my stress level (which is better for my supply). I did buy a chest freezer for storage, as it quickly outgrew my regular freezer. In fact, pretty soon I'm going to look into donating, because my chest freezer is filling up. So for me, it worked out well to pump some from the beginning.

And you can definitely breastfeed and pump at the same time! Any other specific questions, feel free to ask! Congrats, BTW!

MaineBean September 19th, 2013 12:41 PM

I'd recommend doing a little pumping before going back to work. Even if you only end up with a few 1 and 2 oz bags, it is a huge weight off your shoulders to have something in the freezer. My "stash" is hardly impressive with maybe 1 or 2 full days' worth, but even having that has been a huge relief.

I pump at work and nurse when we're together. While I don't make a ton of milk, I get by and do extra pumpings here and there at home which has been keeping the freezer supply pretty consistent. With my first I didn't nurse or pump enough and my supply tanked, and I do worry that we'll run out of milk before I'd like to stop nursing entirely this time around but so far we've been 100% breastmilk for almost 6 months, 2-4 oz at a time!

TerriLF October 8th, 2013 10:42 AM

I'm a BTDT part time pumper. I pump while I'm at work at nurse at night and on weekends (my weekends are Saturday, Sunday and Monday because I work 4 10 hr days/week). I have nursed and pumped with my other 2 children. With my first I lasted till he was 1 yr old but had to supplement starting around 7 months because I couldn't get enough pumping. With my 2nd I only lasted till about 7 months because my supply just got worse and worse pumping. With this child I am hoping to become a stay at home mom in the next 2 months and hopefully if my supply starts to go down between now and then, I will be able to nurse it back up when I am hope with him full time. He sleeps really well at night and is only up once usually so I pump around midnight before his 3 am feeding. I will continue to do this to get a stash of milk for when hubby and I want a date night.

Sugaree October 9th, 2013 06:10 AM

I'm currently a part-time pumper at work. I was a full-time pumper for a few weeks right after he was born because he had a lazy latch and was losing weight and becoming slightly dehydrated. I was trying to keep him out of the hospital without giving him formula. We FINALLY tranisitioned to full time nursing (with occasional pumping) at 1 month old, and did that for two months until I came back to work. It worked out nicely because he got fed without having to give him formula (except for that one 2 oz bottle the pedi gave him at 4 days old....grrrr) and I was able to build up a decent freezer stash before returning to work. I still overpump a few ounces a week, so my stash is growing, albeit more slowly now.

Maenfayne October 9th, 2013 06:45 AM

Brand new momma here! I mostly BF but occasionally pump. On day 3 my nipples were cracked, my milk came in, and I was in PAIN! So I purchased a manual pump to help with the engorgement and also have something to offer little man when it was too painful to BF again. He's a comfort suckler for sure, and my poor nips couldn't take the constant attention. They've healed since then, but I still pump to have something to give him when I'm sleeping my four hour stretch and daddy is taking care of him.

My "stash" is simply a couple ounces in the fridge. However, come December I'll be returning to work, and in January I'll be enrolling into Winter term. So I'll be needing to work up a good freezer stash. I'm waiting for my double electric pump to do that though.