JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Readers and Writers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f67-readers-and-writers/)
-   -   Watcha reading?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f67-readers-and-writers/121429-watcha-reading.html)

Mom2DavidandAaron December 21st, 2005 03:49 PM

I just finished "The Ghost and Mrs. mcClure" which was OK, not thrilling, but OK.
I'm starting "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. To be honest, I'm not even sure what genre is it :D So far so good, although I'm on apge 33. Seeing it's 983 pages with very tiny letters my giess is I'll be finishing it sometime around 2014 :P

I'd better go do some reading then :lol:

Sharon

ryansmama December 21st, 2005 08:57 PM

I'm reading "Why DO They Act that Way?" I can't remember the author and I'm too lazy to go up two floors to my bedroom to check :wacko: . It's about understanding the adolescent brain, and is a fun and interesting read. Hopefully it will help me survive my teenagers!

mama2jacob&charlotte December 22nd, 2005 09:20 AM

I just finished a great book, Pope Joan by Donna Wolfolk-Cross (sp?). It was terrific! Now I am reading Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (sp?), it's pretty good.

I was going to pick up the new book, it's calld Everyone who Counts or something like that, by Lauren Weisberger, who wrote The Devil Wears Prada, which I LOVED that book, but I heard her new book is terrible. So I will get it from the library or at least wait until it comes out in paperback.

D'oh ... I can't figure out how to underline those book titles. Forgive me. :)

Paper-Bag-Princess December 22nd, 2005 05:38 PM

Taltos by Anne Rice

JuneBug2006 December 25th, 2005 12:16 PM

Watership Down by Richard Adams.

I read it as a kiddo and wanted to add it to my book collection.

Thunder'sMom January 2nd, 2006 07:14 PM

I just started "First They Killed My Father" by loung ung. it is the trials of a girl in cambodia during the Khmer Rouge.

Quote:

I'm starting "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. To be honest, I'm not even sure what genre is it :D So far so good, although I'm on apge 33. Seeing it's 983 pages with very tiny letters my giess is I'll be finishing it sometime around 2014 :P

I'd better go do some reading then :lol:

Sharon[/b]
I read pillars of the earth a few years back and loved it. i was not too into other follet books - or even books set during that time period - i still loved it!

MommieinNC February 26th, 2006 07:00 AM

A Mid Summers Kiss

By Laura (something LOL)

Paper-Bag-Princess February 26th, 2006 05:05 PM

Our Endangered Values by Jimmy Carter

NaynayPie March 11th, 2006 07:54 PM

Acts of Faith by Erich Segal. It seems to be about the relationship between a Jewish brother and sister and a Catholic. I'm only on page 3 so I'm not 100% what it's about. :smile:

~Nay

TanyaD March 19th, 2006 07:03 AM

GONE by Lisa Gardner

MamaAshley March 19th, 2006 02:26 PM

I'm reading a few books, one on puppy training since I have a new puppy, a Nora Roberts triliogy called Rising Tides (I think) and a few different parenting books. I like a veriety of choices for my evening reading! :-)

emily April 3rd, 2006 01:49 PM

I am currently addicted to Luanne Rice books and reading Summer's Child at the moment.

Lisadear April 3rd, 2006 05:54 PM

I'm currently reading the first Harry Potter

xxx Lisa xxx

jbc0827 April 3rd, 2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

I'm reading a few books, one on puppy training since I have a new puppy, a Nora Roberts triliogy called Rising Tides (I think) and a few different parenting books. I like a veriety of choices for my evening reading! :-)[/b]
I love that triology by Nora Roberts. Actually she added a fourth book to it a couple of years ago so I guess it isn't a trilogy anymore. LOL The Key trilogy and the In the Garden trilogy of hers are good also.

dkmommy April 3rd, 2006 07:54 PM

Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz

amymarie April 4th, 2006 07:47 AM

I just finished Death in White Bear Lake (true crime story) and am looking for something else to pick up. I am still waiting for 4th of July by James Patterson to come out in paperback. I LOVE everything Patterson writes!!!

cwatson April 4th, 2006 07:57 AM

Quote:

I just finished Death in White Bear Lake (true crime story) and am looking for something else to pick up. I am still waiting for 4th of July by James Patterson to come out in paperback. I LOVE everything Patterson writes!!![/b]

I have Death in White Bear Lake... but I haven't read it... I picked it up for like a dollar at half priced books... was it good?

ETA what I am currently reading... I'm reading April Shawdown by V.C. Andrews, a true crime book that Ann Rule highly recommended about The West Side Raptist in Cleveland, OH (I live about 4 hours south of there), some different pregnancy books and as always a magazine here and there....

~Carol

amymarie April 4th, 2006 08:06 AM

It was a really hard read. I thought it was good, but it was so difficult to get through. The author alternates between stuff that has nothing to do with the case. It will be talking about the little boy and the home and the mother....and then it will start saying...."in 1969, so and so was just being elected president. The republican party met on July something or other to vote on new officers. In April it rained for seven days. Minnesota was enjoying a peaceful summer and China was being plagued by locusts."

Obviously that is an embellishment...lol...but it is very similiar to what it does in the book. I found myself reading it and going "WHY are they telling me this, I just want to know what happened next to the little boy!"....lol. The thing is, when it wanders like that.....it wanders for like two chapters. It drags forever....and then you'll get back to the story.

Normally I can get through a book in a day or two at the most, but this one took me three and a half days because it was easy to get frustrated and put it down. I almost didn't finish it twice, but since I knew nothing of the case, I kept going. About half-way through the book it picks up and stops wandering so much. If you can make it that far......you'll make it the rest of the way! I pick up books cheap all over the place. Mostly goodwill stores for a quarter or fifty cents....so it was worth the quarter and three days....lol. I did a lot of research on the internet about the true story after I read it to find out what happened to all the people. Also, it was made into a Lifetime movie, but I haven't seen it yet.

cwatson April 4th, 2006 08:19 AM

Quote:

It was a really hard read. I thought it was good, but it was so difficult to get through. The author alternates between stuff that has nothing to do with the case. It will be talking about the little boy and the home and the mother....and then it will start saying...."in 1969, so and so was just being elected president. The republican party met on July something or other to vote on new officers. In April it rained for seven days. Minnesota was enjoying a peaceful summer and China was being plagued by locusts."

Obviously that is an embellishment...lol...but it is very similiar to what it does in the book. I found myself reading it and going "WHY are they telling me this, I just want to know what happened next to the little boy!"....lol. The thing is, when it wanders like that.....it wanders for like two chapters. It drags forever....and then you'll get back to the story.

Normally I can get through a book in a day or two at the most, but this one took me three and a half days because it was easy to get frustrated and put it down. I almost didn't finish it twice, but since I knew nothing of the case, I kept going. About half-way through the book it picks up and stops wandering so much. If you can make it that far......you'll make it the rest of the way! I pick up books cheap all over the place. Mostly goodwill stores for a quarter or fifty cents....so it was worth the quarter and three days....lol. I did a lot of research on the internet about the true story after I read it to find out what happened to all the people. Also, it was made into a Lifetime movie, but I haven't seen it yet.[/b]

Thank you for the in depth on it... now I know what to expect... definitely something I'll read if I'm on bedrest as it'll be easier to get through when I have nothing to do... Maybe I can just skip those chapters! hahaha!!!

I do really appreciate your insight!!!

~Carol