JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Readers and Writers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f67-readers-and-writers/)
-   -   Gtky 1/25 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f67-readers-and-writers/2480254-gtky-1-25-a.html)

Tweetybabies January 25th, 2012 06:55 AM

Gtky 1/25

What is the biggest stress in your life right now?

Hazel January 26th, 2012 11:24 AM

Re: Gtky 1/25

My daughters health

Tweetybabies January 26th, 2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazel (Post 25526555)
My daughters health

I'm so sorry. Is this something that can be fixed or will she have to deal with for the rest of her life?

For me, it's a tossup between my kids and their schooling and DH's job hunt.

Hazel January 27th, 2012 06:26 PM

She was born with heart defects and is in congestive heart failure. There is a slim chance that her heart will heal on it's own but she most likely will need open heart surgery. Once the defects are fixed, she will mostly have a normal life but will need to be careful about certain things and will need regular followups with her cardiologist.

Tweetybabies January 31st, 2012 09:37 AM

Is this why you had the weekly OB visits in the latter part of your pregnancy?

I hope that her heart will heal on its own! I knew a mom whose daughter was born with heart defects - after multiple surgeries, she is now a wonderful spirited 7 yr old! :wub:

Hazel February 1st, 2012 07:33 PM

No, they never spotted the defects before birth so those were a surprise :/ All of the OB visits were because of gestational diabetes and the NSTs that go along with it :p

Hazel February 1st, 2012 07:41 PM

And I am very glad your friends daughter is doing so well! It is wonderful that there are so many advancements today :) My Uncle Jeff, born in the 50s, never made it home from the hospital after being born with heart defects :( My Dad was about Sterling's age when his brother was born and died and those memories have been really present for him since Iz was born. He is spoiling her like crazy and keeps track of all her appointments so he can watch the little guy (to give us some peace at the appts!) and get progress reports. I think he worries almost as much as I do :)

Tweetybabies February 2nd, 2012 06:57 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that your father and grandmother had to go through that.

I'm so surprised that Isabelle's heart defects were not detected sooner so that you could be better prepared. Esp in this day and age. I had so many tests with my last two pregnancies, but then again, I was of "advanced maternal age" so that may have been why....

:dothug:

Hazel February 4th, 2012 10:17 AM

Most heart defect go unnoticed until after birth--from my reading, it seems as though only the really major defects are picked up before birth. There are several groups out there trying to get pulseox screening added to newborn screenings to catch more defects at birth. 1 out of every 100 babies has a heart defect and far too many are found when it's too late :(

Btw--Feb 7-14 is Congenital Heart Defect Awareness week! CHIN: CHD Awareness Week

I hope your DH's job hunt is successful soon :)

Tweetybabies February 7th, 2012 07:41 PM

Wow, really. My friend's daughter did actually have major heart defects - half her heart was way underdeveloped. :blink:

And thank you. He is just so unhappy about his current workplace.

eta: I mispoke about her defect.

Hazel February 8th, 2012 06:58 PM

It is so stressful being stuck in a job you hate :/