JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Readers and Writers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f67-readers-and-writers/)
-   -   What is your go-to book? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f67-readers-and-writers/2635049-what-your-go-to-book.html)

CrochetingMama March 15th, 2013 10:25 AM

What is your go-to book?

This probably has been asked before, but I didn't see it in the first 4 pages of going backwards so...

What is your go-to book for when you just need to lose yourself in a story?

Mine is: Knight of a Trillion Stars by Dara Joy.

Dara Joy has, I believe, one of the best imaginations and skill at writing out there today. She blows most of her genre's authors out of the water.

Knight of a Trillion Stars, Mine to Take, Rejar, High Energy, High Intensity...all are fantastic books, though KoaTS is my go-to.

I literally can read that book from cover to cover, then open it up to page one...and start again.

If that's not high praise for a book, I don't know what is.

(She does sci-fi/fantasy/romance for the most part)

In HE and HI the characters..are ridiculous yet awesome. There's Hambone, the one-eyed overweight cat. Artie (I think I'm remembering the name right) who is an ex-mathmetician. He was studying imaginary numbers and....it got to him. So now he thinks he's a cook on a pirate ship and the physicist he works for gamely goes along with this.

The physicist is off-beat enough to appreciate the weirder things in life.

The heroine is somewhat flaky, guillable, and temperamental enough to be highly amusing.

In Knight of a Trillion Stars, one of my favorite parts is where the heroine is scratching this huge cat behind its ear, and the hero comes in and is all "DO NOT SCRATCH BEHIND HIS LEFT EAR!" and because she's in an alien environment she's all O_O "OMG, is it poisonous? Am I going to die?" and when he replies "He likes it too much!" She's "You....jerk!" and kicks him in the shins.

HAHA.

Carwen*Angel March 15th, 2013 02:00 PM

Re: What is your go-to book?

Not my usual sort of thing, but it sounds intriguing the way you describe it! I'll certainly keep an eye out for it on my car boot forays since it comes so highly recommended.

My go-to book is Chocolat by Joanne Harris. I love it, I've read it about six times. I have the follow-up book, Peaches for Monsieur le Cure, and would really like to read it over the Easter holiday.

Hazel March 15th, 2013 04:31 PM

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. I have read it more times than I can count and it made such an impression on my life that my second son is named Bryce :)

Jessimaaka March 16th, 2013 05:47 AM

Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes. It always gives me a laugh and I can open to any page and know exactly what is going on.

Carwen*Angel March 16th, 2013 05:54 AM

I've read Rachel's Holiday. I liked it, though not as much as Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married. I really must read some more Marian Keyes.

Bella Nyxe March 16th, 2013 08:58 AM

either the werecat series or the hollows series.

butterfly721 March 16th, 2013 01:04 PM

I love Hunger Point by Jillian Medoff. The Lifetime movie version of it sucked, but I love the actual book. Frannie's character is so funny, and she finds such great humor in every day situations. However, the story line is really kind of depressing, which I like because I'm usually fairly depressed myself.