JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f256-recurrent-miscarriage-and-pregnancy-loss/)
-   -   Acupuncture (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f256-recurrent-miscarriage-and-pregnancy-loss/2448174-acupuncture.html)

sandel07 November 13th, 2011 05:06 PM

Acupuncture

I had planned to give everyone an update after my first couple acupuncture appointments, but havent done so because it is hard to gauge any changes or improvements when being treated for recurrent miscarriage (its not like I have physical symptoms as ppl with pain do). I have had 4 appointments so far and my acupuncturist is treating me for Kidney QI (Yin) deficiency. He is doing aggressive treatments to try to improve my bloodflow/circulation and balance my hormones. At my last appointment he asked how I felt about trying herbs, this is something that I have been leary of and wanted to check with my RE before trying anything since I intend to try more medicated cycles...
Here is his response:
The literature is mixed on this issue. In fact a review article recommends not partaking due to some evidence of a deliterious effect. Also, one can never be 100% sure of what is in the herbs as they are not controlled by the FDA. So, overall, I would have to say I cannot endorse these though, again, this is far from a settled, rock-solid opinion.

Kinda wishy washy if you ask me but I have decided that I will just continue with acupuncture and not try herbs. As I said before I am doing acpuncture so that in the end no matter what happens I can say i tried.

plan4fate November 13th, 2011 07:06 PM

Re: Acupuncture

Hmm... did they say what kind of herbs?

Good luck sweetie!

sandel07 November 13th, 2011 07:14 PM

He was suggesting a combination of a number of different herbs, I didnt even ask what he was thinking since I wanted to check with my RE first.

plan4fate November 13th, 2011 08:44 PM

hmm.. some RE's are ok with specific herbs in a lot of cases, did you have the list to tell your RE?

Some RE's aren't on board, because they don't profit from them. Other's are willing to try anything to get and keep you pregnant. I know a lot of girls drink spearmint leaf tea as well as other teas to help balance hormones and such.

ZoeChloeMommy November 13th, 2011 08:58 PM

I hope the acupuncture is helpful for you.

Addaboy November 14th, 2011 06:46 PM

I did acupuncture once & the dr pushed herbs on me too. I went my own route.

Royal jelly
Red Raspberry leaves
B-Fruitful
And when I become pregnant Carry On

I notice when AF arrives that I pass larger clots of tissue than I ever have before taking the above herbs. So, it must be making my uterus stronger like they are supposed to.

LisaB November 14th, 2011 08:27 PM

I took a few supplements that my acupuncturist recommended. I told my RE about all of them. He said they were harmless enough. I don't know if they did any good. I'm not a big fan of vitamins and supplements, I usually try to eat healthy instead, but that's me. I wasn't taking anything when I got pregnant with Ben.