JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f256-recurrent-miscarriage-and-pregnancy-loss/)
-   -   Still no answers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f256-recurrent-miscarriage-and-pregnancy-loss/2625540-still-no-answers.html)

balst19 February 14th, 2013 11:08 AM

Still no answers

Well, I officially have all my results in and again we do not know the reason for my 39 and 17 week losses. Blood tests were normal, not clotting disorders though I did tests positive for Hetero MTHFR A1298C, which apparently is not a big deal. My uterus looks normal per ultrasounds and hysteroscopy. All of the pathology reports came back normal for the babies. I don't know what else I can look into. . .

geogeek February 14th, 2013 11:32 AM

Re: Still no answers

I am so sorry that you don't have any answers. I haven't had too much testing done (just clotting) so I don't know what you could do. Hugs.

plan4fate February 14th, 2013 08:24 PM

Wait.. hold up. Your doctor told you that Hetero MTHFR A1298C is no big deal?

I think this is what Augie and Meagan have... I'll point them both this way.

From all my research Hetero MTHFR A1298C means you need extra Folic Acid, B6 and maybe B12 and most use baby aspirin because it is the milder of the clotting factor issues and doesn't usually need the big guns like Heparin or Lovonox (which are injections).

ZoeChloeMommy February 14th, 2013 08:40 PM

http://mthfr.net/recurrent-pregnancy...ge/2011/09/25/

I actually have Lupus anticoagulant. But I googled this and found the above article. I am unable to read and take in a lot, but from what I took in here the Father should also be tested for these genes. It doesn't give a treatment for it, but I'm sure if you searched that page you could find out a lot more.

On another note, I hate when Drs say, there is no treatment. There has to be something, anything. I have always thought MTHFR was purely blood clotting, but I guess it isn't??

A former teacher of mine seen on Facebook(almost 3 years ago) I had miscarriages and her and I started talking. This was before any of my testing. She has MTHFR. But I guess just a basic form of it, all she had to do was low dose aspirin. She had RPL and now has 3 children.

balst19 February 15th, 2013 07:04 AM

Thanks so much, ladies. Great article, Meagan. Thanks so much for passing that along. I was looking at that site but did not come across that article. I will definitely be printing it out and taking it to my doc. Unfortunately the docs around here don't seem to take it very seriously. I need to try to find out more about the treatment recommended so that I know what I am asking for.

esparando para bebé February 15th, 2013 04:32 PM

Yes, I have it. Luckily, even if your dr isn't on board, you can make up for it with OTC stuff (it's just more pills). You want 4mg (that's 4000mcg!) Folic Acid. Take note that Folic Acid is sold in mcg not mg. You also need to take a B6 and B12 vitamin. This is all in addition to the prenatal vitamin. Our bodies don't absorb these properly, that's why we need more. Also, baby aspirin can help prevent clots forming in the placenta. A clot in the placenta can cut off baby's food supply. :(

balst19 February 15th, 2013 05:10 PM

Thanks so much for the great info, Augie! Do you take standard folic acid and B vitamins or methylfolate and "active" b vitamins? I keep reading about people taking the "non-synthetic" vitamins because they are easier for the body to absorb.

esparando para bebé February 15th, 2013 05:21 PM

Uh...I don't know? LOL I grabbed some from the shelf at CVS. It's a lot of pills but anything to get our rainbows, right?

balst19 February 15th, 2013 05:56 PM

Definitely! I don't know and reading about everything is quite overwhelming! My head started spinning when I read this, ha, ha
Prenatal Supplementation: Optimizing your Future Child | MTHFR.Net

esparando para bebé February 15th, 2013 06:09 PM

It can be very overwhelming. I've been told that even though I have two MTHFR mutations, the MTHFR didn't cause my losses because they were too early. Only two of my pregnancies have made it far enough for the MTHFR to be a problem and we know for a fact that it wasn't responsible for one of those.

balst19 February 15th, 2013 06:12 PM

The doctors around here think it unlikely that MTHFR has anything to do with my losses either, but because they can't give me any reason for my losses I feel like maybe I should look into MTHFR more - it is the only lead that I have.

plan4fate February 15th, 2013 10:42 PM

always opt for the natural of any vitamin if you can find it. It's going to cost you more, but really.. with what they make these "vitamains" out of.... not quite sure how it's a vitamin to start with.

Even being estrogen dominant... if I have to choose between a pill made from petroleum or a pill made from soy (which I'm not supposed to consume anymore), I'm choosing the soy option.

Sunrise February 16th, 2013 06:33 AM

I'm sorry there are no answers yet. How terribly frustrating. Augie brought up a good point about association of the condition and timing of the m/c. Maybe the RE told you that bc 39 & 17w loss is not typical for mtfhr?? And if they felt this wasnt a "big problem" then what is their professional opinion for the next pregnancy?
With regard to "natural" vitamins, I take Garden of Life Raw Prenatal. But I have also heard great things about New Chapter Perfect Prenatal. I chose GoL Raw bc I have a vitamin D deficiency and their raw D supplement kept my levels up the best. So I have bought into their methodology:) to keep the supplement as close to its natural form. Good luck.

balst19 February 16th, 2013 10:30 AM

Thanks ladies. I think there just isn't a lot of scientific evidence that MTHFR causes problems with pregnancy so my doctors don't really subscribe to it. From what I have read, it impacts your Folic Acid absorption which can potentially lead to birth defects and blood clots. I imagine that could affect people at any stage of pregnancy though. . . Well, we will see what the MFM says in a week!

LisaB February 17th, 2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan4fate (Post 27095965)
Wait.. hold up. Your doctor told you that Hetero MTHFR A1298C is no big deal?

I think this is what Augie and Meagan have... I'll point them both this way.

From all my research Hetero MTHFR A1298C means you need extra Folic Acid, B6 and maybe B12 and most use baby aspirin because it is the milder of the clotting factor issues and doesn't usually need the big guns like Heparin or Lovonox (which are injections).

I have it too, and you are correct. :) Also, some doctors will tell you take a motherload of Folic Acid, but your body can only absorb so much before the rest is excreted. But when it is absorbed, it strips your body of cofactors necessary to metabolize it, so while folate is in itself harmless if taken in large quantities, you should take extra cofactors also (selenium). I took 1600 mg folic acid total (when combined with a multi B-vitamin) and a couple of selenium tablets, in addition to baby aspirin. So, yes, no big deal to have hetero MTHFR. I also took Lovenox, but that proved to be too much and caused a lot of bleeding during the 1st trimester. You don't need that scare on top of everything else!

While in of itself heterowhatever MTHFR is not really important, it can be a sign of other immune issues also. Immunity and reproductive science are not typically studied together. There are maybe some 10 reproductive immunologists in the US today. They can tell you more about the relevance of hetero MTHFR mutations, and also do testing for other factors. For example, when I was tested by a RI, they found I had two types of antibodies that affect fertility, but my REs (I had 3) had never heard of them. In general, if you have such a mutation, it may mean that you have other inappropriate immune reactions/antibodies/clotting factors etc. which work against pregnancy or an element of pgcy. An RI would then prescribe steroids, blood thinners, and/or IVIG, in addition to heavy duty folic acid supplements & baby aspirin. There is also another treatment called lymphocyte immune therapy. If you're having IVF, steroids are typically prescribed. I would consider using steroids such as dexamethasone or prednisone. Usually they aren't prescribed past the 1st trimester, but maybe considering your history your RE or OB might consider extending them, even though there are risks. If it were me, the risk would probably be worth it, but I'm not you of course. There are other tricks you could try to calm an overactive or inappropriately responding immune system, such as heavily regulating your blood sugar levels by going on a diabetic diet. It's a little boring, but it has an amazing effect on your health, and it definitely can't hurt you. Anyway thought I would mention these things! There is a web site about reproductive immunology issues that explains hetero MTHFR etc, I think it's repro-med.net

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. :( My heart is breaking for you.

plan4fate February 17th, 2013 08:59 PM

^^ I knew there was somebody else.. I could only remember your Thyroid issue Lisa. lol

balst19 February 18th, 2013 05:28 AM

Thank you so much for all of the great info, Lisa. During my initial research pertaining to RPL, I came across Braverman's site. He seems to discourage use of steroids in later pregnancy and says this: "The risk of prednisone increases after 24 weeks when the enzyme that breaks it down and prevents most of it from crossing the placenta to the baby is no longer functioning. But most patients stop their prednisone no later than 14 weeks regardless." My RE did say that if there was an immunity problem later in pregnancy then my body would start attacking the placenta and forming clots, which is why he was suggesting blood thinners.

Anyway, I will definitely check out that webiste that you suggested. Thanks again!