JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f256-recurrent-miscarriage-and-pregnancy-loss/)
-   -   Folate vs. Folic Acid (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f256-recurrent-miscarriage-and-pregnancy-loss/2664551-folate-vs-folic-acid.html)

geogeek July 9th, 2013 10:05 AM

Folate vs. Folic Acid

What is in your prenatal if you take one? I have been doing some research and I think I might switch up my prenatal to folate containing instead of Folic Acid containing. I haven't had genetic testing, but I am concerned with the MTHFR gene affecting me. Anyone have any info?

Sunrise July 9th, 2013 04:33 PM

Re: Folate vs. Folic Acid

I was encouraged to look for active ingredient: L-methylfolate. I found Solgar brand. But there is also Life Extensions brand. Good luck.

plan4fate July 9th, 2013 08:27 PM

Mine has folic acid. I know folate is better.. but I've yet to find a vitamin with folate that matches the bonus ingredients and iron content of the Rainbow light Prenatal one's. I have issues with pure iron supplements... most vitamins have 18mg... mine has 30mg.

I'd much prefer the natural folate to the synthetic folic acid.

geogeek July 10th, 2013 10:02 AM

I am thinking of taking a regular multivitamin like the rainbow light one and then just adding in a folate booster. Yeah, 2 pills, but I guess I would feel better about it.

geogeek July 10th, 2013 04:45 PM

Yeah, I got the folate supplement. It will put my mind at ease.

plan4fate July 11th, 2013 08:11 AM

I couldn't find anything online to say it was ok to take both.. or I'd prolly do the same. I should ask the new Ob when I find one :)

geogeek July 11th, 2013 08:32 AM

I called my midwife and she told me to take a regular vitamin instead of a prenatal if I wanted to take the extra folate supplement.

Sunrise July 11th, 2013 09:42 AM

My RE recommended the extra folic on top of my prenatal.

If you're interested in researching supplements, I read that selenium can help people with RPL. I also take CoQ10, extra vitamin c, d, e. (as I said- on top of prenatal). There are limits on vitamin c bc too much can thicken your cervical mucous. Also, be aware of taking a regular multi. Too much vitamin A is bad for developing embryo.

Best of luck.

MelChicago July 11th, 2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogeek (Post 27510154)
I am thinking of taking a regular multivitamin like the rainbow light one and then just adding in a folate booster. Yeah, 2 pills, but I guess I would feel better about it.

I do this. In fact, I take handfuls of pills- the prenatal, extra folate, low-dose aspirin, B12, coQ10, vitamin D, DHA. Who knows if it helps. I'm probably just making expensive pee, but whatever :)

plan4fate July 11th, 2013 12:20 PM

LOL. Expensive pee.... yay big bang theory!

I take the Rainbow Light Prenatal One, 5000IU Vitamin D (for thyroid support), 200 mg (been doing 400mg this cycle) CO Q10, 100mg B6, baby aspirin. If we don't get Pregnant this summer I will be adding a B Complex and stopping the B6, and adding Selenium. I will pick up the folate next week regardless if i can find it.. I don't have time to hit up another store this week. LOL

*JenJen* July 14th, 2013 01:11 PM

I take a whole lot of pills a day- 10+- adding in extra supplements and boosting others from my multi. I'll try anything at this point to help prevent another loss.

geogeek July 14th, 2013 05:00 PM

yeah, I too am willing to take anything that might help me not loose another pregnancy. I should hear about my vitamin D tomorrow and see if I need to up that as well. Yeah, I don't care if I have expensive pee if it helps a pregnancy.