JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   September 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1912-september-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Evening primrose (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1912-september-2013-playroom/2660374-evening-primrose.html)

321abc June 21st, 2013 10:48 AM

Evening primrose

Any of you BTDT momma's used this to help jump start labor?
I plan on mentioning it to my doctor at my next appointment to find out when to start and if he will even allow it.
I may do it anyway if I decide its a good idea.

I've heard to take it vaginally and orally but I'm not sure what it does and how.
I will do some research but wanted some personal insight! :)

mommy2lilmen June 21st, 2013 02:58 PM

Re: Evening primrose

I was told 35 weeks on, you take 2 pills orally and put 1 vaginally for a few weeks then the last 2 weeks you increase it. I tried it after week 36 with my last and it only helped efface and make me stretchy nothing else it did. I also recommend nipple stimulation the last month to .

Does evening primrose oil work? | BabyCenter

beckiethedoula June 21st, 2013 08:52 PM

EPO is a prostaglandin, much like what is naturally produced by your body. (Cervadil and Cytotec are synthetic prostaglandins as well that are used to "ripen" the cervix in some hospital inductions.) EPO is no where near as strong as those drugs and is closer in strength to the prostaglandins found in semen. The purpose of a prostaglandin in labor is to soften and thin the cervix in preparation for contraction that will open the cervix.

Natural prostaglandins (like EPO and semen) usually only jump start actual labor if your body is already on it's way and just needs a "nudge".

Most midwives and OB's I know recommend waiting until you are full term (37 weeks) to begin using anything like EPO. It won't start labor, but you want your cervix to stay firm and thick until it's time for that baby to come out!

At that point you can insert 1-2 500mg gel caps (I usually poke them open with a sterile needle) vaginally before bed. You can take them orally too. :) That's the recommend my midwife gave me, at least.

TnPhotoMama81 June 21st, 2013 09:06 PM

I've used it both times and it never really did crap for me except soften my cervix...its BS lol. I feel so done using any sort of natural induction methods because nothing ever works for me. I agree that your body prob has to be ready for any thing like that to work!

I am seriously thinking about not doing ANYTHING this time hehe.

321abc June 21st, 2013 09:07 PM

I definitely don't want to start too early. 37 weeks sounds much better than 35.
I didn't efface at all until pitocin was started so I'm wanting to try something more natural this time to help my body get ready in case I do go over 40 weeks or end up having to be induced for health issues. (No reason for concern of that just want to be prepared)

Heidijens1 June 21st, 2013 09:42 PM

I haven't tried this before but it is something that I want to give a try this time. I figure it's at least worth a try.

Babybear4 June 21st, 2013 10:58 PM

I've only ever really heard that it's useful in helping your cervix to soften but not really to jump start labor. I think of it more like the Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, where is is really good for prepping your body for labor but more than likely won't be the *cause* of it.

I have heard starting it anywhere between 35 and 37 weeks. :)

MyFantasticFour June 22nd, 2013 07:55 AM

It always helps me soften so I always do it vaginally around 36 weeks.

MamaLaurie June 22nd, 2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babybear4 (Post 27467601)
I've only ever really heard that it's useful in helping your cervix to soften but not really to jump start labor. I think of it more like the Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, where is is really good for prepping your body for labor but more than likely won't be the *cause* of it.

I have heard starting it anywhere between 35 and 37 weeks. :)

Yup, just what I would have said. I think my labors have been easier since I started using both the EPO and drinking the tea.