JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   September 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1912-september-2013-playroom/)
-   -   My turn!!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1912-september-2013-playroom/2666857-my-turn.html)

Dolly Lama July 20th, 2013 06:47 AM

My turn!!!

Since so many of you have had field trips to L&D, I must have gotten unconsciously jealous because I ended up there last night. :D

It started the night before- vomiting, dizziness, headache, then continued on through Friday, which is when the contractions started. I tried to lay on my left side and sip fluids, but it didn't work so the doctor suggested that I come on in. They stuck me on the monitor which showed that I was contracting, but it they weren't regular and weren't lasting long - they said I had an "irritable uterus" which ultimately calmed down after receiving 2 bags of IV fluids.

I jokingly told the doc that I almost didn't come because I really didn't want to be *that* woman, but she was totally cool about it, telling me that's what they are there for, and even adding in something about dehydration sending signals to the brain that are similar to what's sent when labor is necessary...basically it could have gotten worse.

Moral of the story - drink, drink, drink, and if you can't, go get hydrated!

Sorry if there are typos - Im sending this through my phone, which loves to auto-correct

Keakie July 20th, 2013 07:29 AM

Re: My turn!!!

Sorry that you had to go in but I'm glad everything is okay! :) That's really interesting about dehydration sending signals to the brain that are similar to what's sent to trigger labor. Good to know, especially with how stinkin' hot it's been lately.

Dolly Lama July 20th, 2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Sorry that you had to go in but I'm glad everything is okay!
I missed the scheduled tour, so I made up for it this way! :giggle:

Quote:

That's really interesting about dehydration sending signals to the brain that are similar to what's sent to trigger labor. Good to know, especially with how stinkin' hot it's been lately.
I thought that was interesting too - I had no idea that it actually worked that way. The nurse told me that since we've had such a heat wave here, they've been working overtime with other dehydrated women dealing with similar symptoms...It is mind blowing how much trouble something as simple as being dehydrated can cause!

mirdeemrlvs July 20th, 2013 09:11 AM

When you are sick to your stomach, it's so hard to stay as hydrated as you need. It's good you went in :-) Glad your doing better!

H_Hplus1 July 20th, 2013 09:24 AM

Sorry about the trip but at least you got to see the place before "D" day :) I don't know why but staying hydrated is so hard to do when your preggo. Maybe it's because we have so little room in our stomach and bladder to hold much. I guess the thing to do is drink often even if it means more trips to the potty ;)

Glad you're okay.

AIK112018 July 20th, 2013 09:28 AM

Glad everything went alright!

mommyof2boys0207 July 20th, 2013 02:10 PM

Glad you got checked out and you and baby are okay

TnPhotoMama81 July 20th, 2013 04:16 PM

It amazes me how many women end up in L&D over dehydration lol...I mean I know you were vomiting and all so that doesnt help of course. I drink SO much soda though its a wonder I haven't had to go for dehydration.

Dolly Lama July 20th, 2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

It amazes me how many women end up in L&D over dehydration lol
I know, right!? I wasn't even the only one that night - it was crazy busy up there with deliveries, then several women like me.

Since I was only in a triage room, I had to share with another woman who was actually in labor. There was only a curtain between us, so I heard her being checked - she was 4cm along and panting away. I was so jealous!! At that moment I so wished that I was there full-term, having a baby myself. We're getting close, ladies!! :)

Heidijens1 July 20th, 2013 09:38 PM

I'm glad you and baby are ok.

mommy2lilmen July 20th, 2013 10:18 PM

Summer pregnancy is bad for dehydration then add in any flus or even morning sickness. OMG we are in for many trips to labor and delivery. So far I had 2 visits, one for spotting and cramping and one for dehydration vomit and the runs that triggered labor like signs. Ugh. Sorry that happened to you, but welcome to the list of fellow moms who went on the field trip ;)

bevyvuska July 21st, 2013 12:28 AM

Glad all was well and it was an easy fix. :) Yup, EVERYONE I know is now paying attention & making sure I am drinking at all times. :P

Anitha July 21st, 2013 08:00 AM

Oh wow! Glad all is well now... I hope the vomiting and everything has subsided as well.