JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   September 2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2013-september-2014-playroom/)
-   -   Can I hurt my baby by pushing on my belly? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2013-september-2014-playroom/2724792-can-i-hurt-my-baby-pushing-my-belly.html)

pinstripedbabe June 27th, 2014 06:33 PM

Can I hurt my baby by pushing on my belly?

My little girl moves SO much!!!! So today I was pushing her back and I swear I felt her head or butt!! I would push down and she would move away then I'd follow her and she'd move away again. It looked like my belly was taken over by an alien. You could see the movements protruding from the outside so much! But then I got nervous that I was hurting her :( I wasn't pushing down hard but is it possible to hurt them by doing that? I don't want to bruise her or anything :[!!!!

Caerus June 27th, 2014 09:48 PM

Re: Can I hurt my baby by pushing on my belly?

During my last appointment, our baby girl had worn herself out kickboxing in the waiting room. So when we did the ultrasound, she was not interested in moving much at all, and was laying in a way that made getting measurements difficult. Our ultrasound tech started poking me in the belly with the wand, fairly hard! It worked a little and she rolled a bit, but the pokes were hard enough that I felt like my belly should be bruised the next day (admittedly, I'm used to bruising at nothing, so YMMV). I can't imagine she would have pushed so much if it had been a dangerous thing to do. :)

I also get a kick out of poking Baby Girl back when she kicks me.

m.a.m.a.to.3 June 27th, 2014 09:57 PM

I love "playing" with the babe and letting her push back and roll in return. This is such a great part of pregnancy :)

Mrsknif June 28th, 2014 08:40 AM

I have pushed all of mine either to check on them or get them out of my ribs. Midwives often push pretty hard to figure out their position w out ultrasound ;-)

FlyingFlower June 28th, 2014 09:47 AM

Yeah I'm always worried but reading through these responses makes me remember that they always poke really hard at ultrasounds. I guess it's not a big deal.

Baby3September June 28th, 2014 09:04 PM

Don't worry. The doctors are always so rough with how they push and prod and no harm is done. When they hook you up to the monitor during L and D, that thing is super tight and it doesn't hurt anything. Remember, the baby is floating around in a lot of water.

Mslily1125 July 1st, 2014 08:56 AM

OH yeah, I totally poke and prod back when baby girl gets playful. I feel like I'm playing with her. As she's gotten bigger, I try to be more and more careful about how I poke and prod (try to use my whole palm instead of finger tips, etc.), but no I don't think there's any harm done. ;)