JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Skin Disorders (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f461-skin-disorders/)
-   -   Moms to babies with eczema (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f461-skin-disorders/760298-moms-to-babies-eczema.html)

LadyTkachenko October 7th, 2007 11:03 PM

We have alot of moms here with babies who have eczema so I was thinking we start a list of natural, over the counter and prescriptions that have helped with our eczema babies.

Natural remedies:

Over the counter remedies:

Prescription remedies:

4iris October 8th, 2007 02:04 PM

Great idea! Alex is 6 months old and this is what has worked for us so far.

Natural remedies: avoiding scented laundry products (we LOVE All Free & Clear, Downy Free, Bounce Free, and Clorox 2 Free), avoiding anything lavender scented, avoiding anything too heavily scented, keeping him cool helps, wearing all cotton helps

Over the counter remedies: Cetaphil cleanser for baths, Cetaphil cream or lotion twice a day, lowest % hydrocortisone cream (used sparingly as needed, no longer than 7 days straight per spot) for mild outbreaks

Prescription remedies: TRIAMCINOLONE 0.1% CREAM 15GM (twice/day no longer than 7 days straight per treated area) for severe outbreaks

Zarina0831 April 29th, 2008 11:27 AM

Only one response?? Awwe come on, my daughter has eczema.....I need HELP :cry:

jdee0509 May 4th, 2008 06:59 AM

To the PP, try hydrocortisone... when DD would get eczema as a newborn, this would work every time.

~*3 little bears*~ May 23rd, 2008 02:23 PM

HI i'm new here, my son has pretty severe eczema but this is what has helped us.
Stop using all soaps on him, it dries out his skin
Use aquaphor healing cream on him at least twice a day.
No softeners and all natural detergents
.5% Hydrocortisone if it starts to ooze
HTH

Lorelai December 26th, 2008 08:40 PM

Over the counter and natural remedies:

Plant based/natural laundry detergent, Costco now sells some! Seventh Generation makes some, other brands, you can also wash clothing in a mixture of equal parts of borax and arm and hammer washing soda. 1/4 to 1/2 cup of each. Free and clear detergents still have the harmful chemicals in them that can affect our skin.

We also use Avalon Organics shampoo and conditioner which you can actually find at walmart and target now. yay!!!! also find them at whole foods, trader joes....

Dr. Bronners castile soap comes in an unscented version, bar or liquid, saw the liquid at target. kirk's castile soap in bar form is great! i bought some off amazon once. My FIL uses it and it's helped his skin A LOT! Right now we are using some bar soaps off of plantlife.net which i have completely fallen in love with.

back in the day I also used a ton of hydrocortizone cream. My favorite and one I felt worked the best was the equate brand one at walmart that said with aloe or something.

For the most part I have found the organic and natural products to work the best as a preventative. Products that are SLS free.

picklesmama December 27th, 2008 12:52 AM

We are having a had time with Sydda's, but here is what we are currently using.

Natural remedies: Don't know if this is a really a remedy, more a preventative measure - no synthetic fabric clothing or bedding ext to her skin, only cotton. No perfumed products or detergents. No fabric softeners. No soap or shampoo.

Over the counter remedies: Aveeno Baby moisturizer, her preschool rubs her legs down with this at every diaper change and I have seem less behind the knee outbreaks, hydrocortisone.

Prescription remedies: Triamcinolone Acetonide .1%

mothra December 31st, 2008 02:56 PM

Aveeno oatmeal bath treatments, followed by a generous slathering of California Baby all natural Calendula cream. also since i'm BFing i cut down on dairy by a lot. my son's eczema has pretty much totally cleared up.

Jennmarie January 6th, 2009 09:09 AM

Hi, I'm just a lurker and this thread caught my eye...Crisco vegetable shortening as a lotion is wonderful. It's what our allergist recommended for my oldest. We love it--no scents, no extras; just good moisturizing. And...its insanely cheap!!!! If you have constant breakouts, it could be related to a food allergy(which is what his was).

cupidsgirl January 31st, 2009 01:01 AM

I don't have a child with Eczema, but I have Eczema. I used to have very very very severe Eczema; luckily it's toned down to just my hands and sometimes on my calves and upper arms.

My grandma used to bathe me once a week in yogurt. I was only allowed to eat minimal dairy, too. I was only allowed the servings I needed to get in a day for a healthy diet. Never ever straight milk. Soy milk. Living in a place with clean air is super super super helpful too because normally, Eczema is irritated by chemicals in poluted air. Sure, you're going to get that everywhere, but it helps soooo much if its clean air place.

I use Neutrogena/Vaseline lotions. Coco butter helped for a little bit, but then just made it worse later on. Oatmeal soaps. Nivea products make my skin break out in red splotches. The medicine I put on doesn't have a name on it. Well, it does but its ridiculously long and I don't have it on me right now but it's a blue and white tube and is steroids. It's the strongest kind of its medicine. There is a more gentle pink one, which comes out in a white color that you can't see through but the one I use comes out clear and looks like a kind of solid grease.

mrs.bryant89 July 13th, 2009 12:37 AM

Re: Moms to babies with eczema

I'm new to this board. I just found it. DS is 9 1/2 months old with severe eczema.

Prescriptions: triamcinolone acetonide ointment 0.1% and desonide cream 0.05% both can be used 2 to 4 times a day as needed.

natural: free and clear detergents and fabric softners

over the counter: aveno baby lotion

BamaMama July 31st, 2009 08:39 PM

I am new here, but I wanted to add what we did for our baby. She has eczema really bad.

Our doctor told us to give her a bath in the smallest bathroom, (Wierd, I know, but it works!) the thicker the "lotion" the better. We used vaseline for the longest, then we started trying true raw shea butter. It has been the best thing for her eczema. It really works.

oneproudmomma08 August 15th, 2009 10:20 PM

My daughter is 18 months old now & she had eczema when she was younger. She had it to where her legs were just real dry to where the skin was like flaky. Her pediatrician had us buy Eucerin lotion and try, which cleared it all up.

Now here she is months later, with it even worse. She has alot of bumps growing into a big rash all over almost like blisters. Her pediatrician sent her to a dermatologist who diagnosed it as eczema once again & prescribed her Desonide cream 0.05%, we have to apply it to the affected areas for up to two weeks.

So far the cream has been going on her for about three days & seems to be clearing it up good.

Mars October 2nd, 2009 07:48 AM

I just stumbled across this board. My daughter was diagnosed with mild - moderate sephorreic (sp) eczema.

Natural remedies: I try to use products that are scent and fragrance free. I use All Free and Clear as our laundry detergent along with baking soda. I also try to keep her as cool as possible. Sometimes on a hot day, I fill her tub with cool water and put her in it to splash and have fun. Works like a charm. I'm breastfeeding her exclusively for at least the first year. Some formula have been know to cause flare ups and my DH's eczema flares up with dairy products so I'm being cautious. I recently introduced her to cheese and so far she's been doing ok. I make all her food.

Over the counter remedies: Aveeno Products. I use Aveeno Baby Wash and Shampoo as her bath wash and for her hair. I use the Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion to moisturizer her entire body. On areas that are "rough", I add Vaseline to stop them from drying and becoming patchy. I've heard that Aquaphor and Cetaphil are good. I tried Cetaphil but it didn't work for her. The Aveeno works marvelously.

Prescription remedies: Daktacort and LactaCare. I only use these when she has a really bad flare up. I try to not use them as much as possible.

jsaapple October 13th, 2009 09:19 PM

My Baby boy has bad eczema too. One thing that has helped is when I started making my own laundry detergent. I have noticed an improvement since then.
As far as prescriptions, my Dr. prescribed Ellidel Cream for bad flare ups and it works really well, but I try to use it only when he really needs it.

mandyhayes01 November 9th, 2009 07:14 PM

I've started putting a few drops of Avon Skin So Soft in my kids bath water. My sons Eczema is much better!

suusssannn December 10th, 2009 04:11 AM

Natural remedies: Oatmeal Baths, using fragrance/dye free soaps, breastmilk!, EVOO

Over the counter remedies: Cetaphil, Aquaphor, Sarna, Vaseline, Eucerin

Prescription remedies: We've been prescribed steroids, but they don't help at all :( We're going to a dermatologist tomorrow...

hannahthompson April 4th, 2011 10:08 PM

Moms to babies with eczema

Really fantastic idea itís very useful and it dries out his skin.Use quahog healing cream on him at least twice a day.No softeners and all natural detergents. it and it's helped his skin A LOT! Right now we are using some bar soaps off of plantlife.net which i have completely fallen in love with. Thanks for sharing.
:sneak:

Tiki May 15th, 2011 07:12 PM

Both DH and I have bad eczema so we weren't surprised when Orion developed it.
He is EBF so cutting out Dairy and any artificial colouring from my diet helped quite a bit. He still reacts to environmental factors. We rotate natural lotions and use .5% hydrocrisone. We also bathe in oatmeal and chickweed baths.
The natural emmolients we us are:
Coconut oil
Olive oil
Peas in a pod lotion
lalabee bathworks baby butter (A mixture of olive,shea, coconut and jojoba)

Renew lotion worked but we stopped using it after finding out it contained some endocrine disruptors (I still use it on myself) I tried cetaphil on myself first and found it burned so I never put it on Orion (I didn't check the ingredients yet, I'm almost afraid of what they will be)

BrandynsMommy August 31st, 2011 05:49 PM

Hello everyone... I am new on here and trying to help my 14 month old son get some relief from his eczema, that he has had since birth (it is genetic, he gets it from me though mine is not nearly as bad as his). He has been through at least a dozen different prescription creams and ointments including DermaSmooth oil. The oil is the only thing that seems to give him any relief, except for his feet, ankles, wrists, and left inner knee and left inner elbow... We put aquaphor ointment lotion on him at least twice a day and he is miserable every single day!! I NEED HELP!!! I feel the doctors, dermatologists and the allergist just aren't helping much anymore and are running out of options for him!!!