JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   So This Is Love (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1957-so-love/)
-   -   Finley Dawn, born 7/16 at 37w1d (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1957-so-love/2668697-finley-dawn-born-7-16-37w1d.html)

Beachbabies July 29th, 2013 08:49 AM

Finley Dawn, born 7/16 at 37w1d

Finley's birth story is definitely not what I thought it would be. I was a bit upset and disappointed about how everything happened at first (probably why I didn't post it on here right away) but now I am embracing her birth story. It's how she got here so it can't really be all that bad...it had such a great end result :) So here goes...

I went in for my 37 week ob check and nst on Monday 7/15 and my ob was concerned about my blood sugars first because they were regularly spiking above 200 despite a good diet and insulin. Finley was measuring large (mostly her abdomen, which is common for GD babies) and my amniotic fluid index was high. All of these factors had him talking induction in the middle of my 38th week. I wasn't too crazy about this, but he told me my blood sugars and high amniotic fluid could result in a stillbirth if we wait too long :( So I agreed. Then I went back to my NST and everything got crazy. I was contracting a lot and she wasn't responding well. Then they started talking immediate induction. I was rushed to get a lung amnio to see if her lungs were ready. About 4 hours later we got the word back that her lungs were ready so we were good to go for an induction. I was told that if the induction took too long or if she showed distress to be ready for a csection. We were scrambling around packing our bags and arranging care for the boys. I didn't really have too much time to be scared.
When we got to the hospital for the induction we were surprised to find out that little miss Finley had flipped over the course of a few hours (during the lung amnio she was head down and had been since 28 weeks) to a transverse position. My ob talked to me about trying to flip her and said he didn't recommend it considering she was already showing some signs of distress, so a csection it was. I snuck into the first morning spot at 7:30 am.
The NICU team was already in the OR when I got there, which worried me a bit but I was trying really hard to stay calm. My anesthesiologist came in and put in the spinal, which was not too bad. DH came in and calmed me down and my ob started to work. I suddenly felt super nauseous and knew I was going to throw up. It was the weirdest thing to throw up without having control over most of my body- not fun! I proceeded to throw up through the ENTIRE surgery with maybe 10-20 second breaks in between. I was puking when they pulled her out, (Tuesday 7/16 at 8:01am) but I still was able to see her and hear her cry which was great. The NICU team checked her and cleared her (yaaay) and she and DH left for her to be weighed and cleaned up. I had demanded skin to skin right away but it was obvious that that wasn't going to happen bc I was covered with throw up (I know, TMI) and still vomiting, so DH did some skin to skin with her. I was sewed and stapled and wheeled to recovery where Finley and DH were waiting for me. It was a frustrating time for me. I wanted so badly to hold her and feed her but whenever I would move my head I would throw up :( The anesthesiologist came back to adjust my pain meds and try new ones. I was also given anti nausea medicine, which helped some.
About an hour later we were wheeled up to our room, where things calmed down. I was able to feed her and she had an amazing latch which made me sooo happy. I still was getting sick but not nearly as much and I was finally able to keep ice chips down.
Later that night they weighed Finley and she had lost 12oz from her birth weight of 8lbs 8oz!!! They thought the scale was broken but checked it out several times. The on call pediatrician came in and was concerned, but when he found out she was a GD baby he calmed down. I guess GD babies can retain a lot of water and tend to lose more after birth. That was a relief!
After that everything slowly got better. I could eat again, Finley started slowly gaining, and we figured out pain meds I could actually use. I pushed for an early discharge and we went home the morning of July 18th :) It felt great to bring her home and be back with my boys!! Finley was the missing piece if our family and we are 100% sure our family is now complete- it's a wonderful feeling.

Here are some pictures of her birth: (a bit graphic)
http://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...fd3f6bc34a.jpg
http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...c650d4dbd9.jpg
http://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...c86e07b88c.jpg

Going home!!
http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...b053aa46e3.jpg

mirdeemrlvs July 29th, 2013 09:23 AM

Re: Finley Dawn, born 7/16 at 37w1d

awww. she's adorable. Thanks for sharing your story. I know it's frustrating right now, but like usual, you'll forget all the bad parts mostly and just remember the joy of seeing your baby. That does sound rough throwing up so much during the c/s. HUGS...

soccermamatomany July 29th, 2013 09:30 AM

I am glad you are coming to terms with her birth. She is perfect and that's all that really matters! Congrats again.

Jessmom July 29th, 2013 10:47 AM

Thanks for sharing! She is adorable!

cameronzmom July 29th, 2013 10:53 AM

She's precious and I'm glad in the end, everything turned out ok!

Jenilope July 29th, 2013 12:44 PM

I'm sorry it wasn't the birth you had envisioned. And all that vomiting sounds awful! But congratulations on her safe arrival--she's adorable! I hope you're recovering well and that she's fitting right in with the family.

Husher July 29th, 2013 01:59 PM

Congratulations on your sweet any girl! I'm sorry the birth wasn't what you wanted at first, but I am thrilled to hear you are both doing so well. Congrats again!

alittlelost July 29th, 2013 10:39 PM

I'm so glad you were able to make it to term and that she is doing so well. I'm sorry you needed a csection but so glad you are at peace over it! Congrats on your little girl! She is precious!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Beachbabies August 1st, 2013 08:41 AM

Thanks ladies :) I'm recovering pretty well and the incision site looks surprisingly good at only 2weeks out so that's helping me feel better about the whole thing. That and just spending time with my precious new daughter of course!

lucyinthesky88 August 1st, 2013 03:46 PM

She is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story and glad to hear you both are doing well :)

Dandelion August 9th, 2013 06:46 AM

Thanks for sharing! She's beautiful

Colliekat August 9th, 2013 04:31 PM

Sorry you got so sick but she's a cutie :)