JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Spiritual Living (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f83-spiritual-living/)
-   -   They are choosing the new Pope right now (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f83-spiritual-living/2634445-they-choosing-new-pope-right-now.html)

Carwen*Angel March 13th, 2013 11:41 AM

They are choosing the new Pope right now

http://live-blog.uk.msn.com/Event/Po...n_live_updates

I'm watching a live commentary on BBC. They're waiting for the new Pope to come out after being chosen by the cardinals. I know I'm not Catholic, but it's sort of exciting.

Sacred Silence March 13th, 2013 12:31 PM

Re: They are choosing the new Pope right now

Jorge Bergoglio from Argentina! First Jesuit ever! Took the name Pope Francis I

Carwen*Angel March 13th, 2013 02:00 PM

I like the idea of there being a Pope Francis. Excellent name choice.

plan4fate March 13th, 2013 02:42 PM

yup, one of the most conservative in latin america... thinks homosexuals are the devil.

Gonna be a tough next few years.

Amaranth Dhanya March 13th, 2013 02:44 PM

Like the name. Glad it was Peter cuz that was supposed to mean the end of the world if that name was chosen LOL.

Carwen*Angel March 13th, 2013 02:53 PM

I remember that from the Nostradamus prophecies, Hillarie.

I think we (we being humanity in general) averted the end of the world for the time being. ;)

I didn't know that Ashley.

Amaranth Dhanya March 13th, 2013 03:45 PM

LOL Sharron...agreed.

Eeek Ashley if thats true definately gonna be a rough few years for many. Was hoping he'd be a bit more about modernizing and uniting.

Good thing Im not Catholic I guess LOL.

Carwen*Angel March 13th, 2013 04:08 PM

There's a profile of him here. I only skimmed it (it's late here) and will read properly tomorrow.

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/new-pop...rofile-561777/

TreeTog March 13th, 2013 05:46 PM

I was Catholic before I became a Pagan.

Leslie

plan4fate March 13th, 2013 06:50 PM

I will give the man props that he genuinely helps the poor and needy. I can ignore his views on homosexuality for now if he can truly convince some current Christians who are all "me me me, the rest of you are entitled!" to help the poor... there's certainly enough of them who need help!

Kiam March 14th, 2013 12:12 AM

Ashley, I thought the same thing "Oh, another pope who is anti gay-marriage, abortion and contraception, well what else is new? *changes channel*"

At least he is known for his extensive charity work, that is a step up from Benedict, there have been a few reports here saying that he is also planning on taking a very hard line in terms of the sexual abuse of children, which is also good to hear, if it is the case, then it is long overdue.

mal91011 March 14th, 2013 12:31 AM

I find it interesting that he has a degree in chemistry.

Carwen*Angel March 14th, 2013 03:49 AM

Aren't all Popes against those things, though? I mean, strict and devout Catholics believe those things are wrong in general (apart from I'm sure a few exceptions) anyway don't they?

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what he does and whether he can be a key part of bringing the Christian church into the 21st century. I'm interested to see. He sounds like a very intelligent man. Xxx.

Adding1more March 14th, 2013 04:21 AM

I think that in order to bring the catholic church into the 21st century they would have to have a pope who is younger than 78!! I don't understand that, even in the best of health he probably only has 10-15 years of service. Why not go for someone younger who can put in longer term plans. Changes in organisations that big need to be done slowly, so you would think long term planning would be a must!

Amaranth Dhanya March 14th, 2013 06:58 AM

I was watching Good Morning America today and they had a history of him. Sounds like he has lived a very humble and sweet life. Hopefully he takes that with him amid all the woowoo that is the Pope and doesnt get caught up in the grandeur.

What I found interesting was that yesterday shortly before the white smoke came out...a seagull sat on top of the smoke stack thing.
St Francis of Assisi(who the pope named himself after) was a lover of animals, especially birds and apparently there are pictures of him not just with birds but seagulls included. Thought that was a lovely coincidence....love it when you get those in life!

TreeTog March 14th, 2013 08:30 AM

The new Pope has only 1 lung. I heard that on the news the other night.

Leslie

Kiam March 14th, 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Valkyrie (Post 27194240)
Aren't all Popes against those things, though? I mean, strict and devout Catholics believe those things are wrong in general (apart from I'm sure a few exceptions) anyway don't they?

Popes yes, there are many members of the clergy, however, who are in support of gay marriage, we have a very vocal priest here in Melbourne who is often on the news condemning discrimination of LGBTQ people in the Catholic church.

My issue isn't with personal belief, rather with what is publicly preached. We will see what this Pope chooses to openly preach and what he won't, but Benedict was a perfect example of someone who chose to spread ignorance (condoms cause HIV) and hate (using his Christmas address to condemn gay parents).