JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Stay At Home Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f110-stay-home-mommies/)
-   -   Picky Eaters? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f110-stay-home-mommies/2680616-picky-eaters.html)

acupofjoe September 22nd, 2013 12:31 PM

Picky Eaters?

Do you have any picky eaters in your home? How do you deal with it? Are you more of the eat it or nothing until the next meal type of parent or do you just cook something else to get them to eat? What are they picky about?

*Kiliki* September 22nd, 2013 02:25 PM

Re: Picky Eaters?

mine learned early not to be picky.....I am not a restaurant I do not take orders...they eat what I make or they don't eat LOL.....And I always make them try new things...and if they don't like it that is fine....I won't make them eat it...but if they at least tolerate it then I will make it again....I try to avoid things that they really just cannot stand....but honestly there are few things that they will not touch at all....

acupofjoe September 23rd, 2013 02:28 AM

Same here...We are for sure an "eat it or starve" type family. My husband is the bad one, lol. He is super picky and I refuse to have our children grow up like that so I tell DH he has to follow that same rule and if he really does not like it then he can make himself a sandwich or something once the kids are done eating.

joonzgurl September 23rd, 2013 01:13 PM

We have not found what works for our family yet. I offer Avery a wide variety of foods and choices but she rarely eats vegetables and meat. She used to do well with casseroles but hasn't been doing as well lately. At supper time if she won't eat what I have made I will give her a piece of bread with butter. Sometimes if she didn't eat well at supper I offer her a bananna before bed.

I am not sure how I feel about this approach. I do not want to force her to eat what we eat or starve because that was never instilled on my or my husband and we both eat a variety of foods and textures, neither of us is picky. But I will not in any way, shape, or form cater to her and make her a special meal. I think allowing her a piece of bread in place of the meal is reasonable?? I dunno... guess we will see what the next year or two bring!

TreeTog September 23rd, 2013 04:15 PM

Ryan is my eldest and is very picky. He only eats certain foods. He has Autism with sensory issues.

Leslie

Orangebrittainy September 23rd, 2013 04:46 PM

My son is extremely picky. After ruling out sensory issues, We now have a eat or starve policy. I also have been know to lie and trick to get him to eat. I will call any white meat chicken since he'll now eat chicken. We have told him that He likes something and that's why I cooked it. We also negotiate and bargin. With veggies I had to start with a small amount like 3 green beans and I have increased that amount slowly over time. I also use bribery. Eat your veggies and you can have more yellow rice (His fav!) I have to introduce new things one item at a time over a gradual period of time. To get him to eat a beef and bean burrito, I had to start with making PB&J on a tortilla shell (I had to force it down him for the first few bites. Then we transitioned to a cheese roll up using sliced cheese because he wouldn't eat it shredded. From there we slowly increased shredded cheese and decreased the sliced. Then we added a sliver of beans, and more and more over time, followed by beef a little at a time. We worked slowly to add sour cream. Now he'll eat a plain beef taco, or a beef and rice taco. He'll even eat chicken tacos. I need to work on adding veggies, but veggies are a BIG deal breaker with him. I am not sure how to "sneak" them in.

acupofjoe September 24th, 2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangebrittainy (Post 27675447)
My son is extremely picky. After ruling out sensory issues, We now have a eat or starve policy. I also have been know to lie and trick to get him to eat. I will call any white meat chicken since he'll now eat chicken. We have told him that He likes something and that's why I cooked it. We also negotiate and bargin. With veggies I had to start with a small amount like 3 green beans and I have increased that amount slowly over time. I also use bribery. Eat your veggies and you can have more yellow rice (His fav!) I have to introduce new things one item at a time over a gradual period of time. To get him to eat a beef and bean burrito, I had to start with making PB&J on a tortilla shell (I had to force it down him for the first few bites. Then we transitioned to a cheese roll up using sliced cheese because he wouldn't eat it shredded. From there we slowly increased shredded cheese and decreased the sliced. Then we added a sliver of beans, and more and more over time, followed by beef a little at a time. We worked slowly to add sour cream. Now he'll eat a plain beef taco, or a beef and rice taco. He'll even eat chicken tacos. I need to work on adding veggies, but veggies are a BIG deal breaker with him. I am not sure how to "sneak" them in.

Puree them and they mix well. I have heard of many people doing that...especially with breads and stuff that is baked and you could add anything pureed into a tomato based sauce if he will eat that like spaghetti??