JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Stillbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f198-stillbirth/)
-   -   Question about my friend (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f198-stillbirth/531956-question-about-my-friend.html)

klfc28 April 9th, 2007 01:46 PM

Hi ladies. I had a question and thought you might be the right ones to ask. And also, I am so sorry for all of your losses.

My friend just delivered her baby girl about 12 hours ago. She was 1 day shy of being 21 weeks pregnant. Would her baby be considered stillborn or would she be considered a pregnancy loss? Baby Keelie had passed sometime before full delivery. It is still unknown whether it was in utero or in the birth canal (she was stuck in the canal for about 20 minutes before fully coming out). The last time my friend had felt her move was very early yesterday morning.

She has had a complicated pregnancy starting at 13 weeks and truely has gone through every h**l imaginable and had lost all amniotic fluid a week ago today. But there was some hope she could make it to atleast 24 weeks, but sadly did not.

I want to make sure she gets into some sort of support group and was not sure where she would belong.

Thank you ladies!

christianolivia April 9th, 2007 02:10 PM

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe once you reach 20 weeks your baby is considered still born, before that it is still considered a miscarriage. I'm sorry about your friend's baby. This would be a good place for her to get support, she will be in my thoughts through this very hard time. :dothug:

Mom2LinaNangels April 9th, 2007 04:42 PM

depends on where you live. I think most the US is 20 weeks and over is stillbirth. Other countries consider it 24 weeks and over.

PregnantAtLast April 10th, 2007 03:08 AM

Hey sorry to jump in, in the UK it's classed as a still birth after 24 weeks.

I am sorry for your friends loss.

claire1979 April 10th, 2007 03:21 AM

hunnie if your friend wants to say her daughter was born sleeping then she can late m/c is a horrible statsitic and term for the loss of our precious babies my daughter was born sleeping 2 days shy of 24 weeks which is the legal age here in the uk but i dont like to use the term so i say my baby was born sleeping hope this helps x

Brittanie April 10th, 2007 02:11 PM

I agree with Claire. If she wants to use the term stillbirth, she can. I know that there are several women here on the stillbirth forum who technically had "late miscarriages." I think being able to feel the baby move, and know the gender, and hold the baby at birth makes it so much different than early miscarriages that she might fit better here if she wants to join us. We don't mind.

Please let her know that she is being prayed for and give her :dothug: from us!

ojosmom April 10th, 2007 06:05 PM

Hun, she gave birth to a baby. A little sleeping angel baby. The correct term doesn't really matter. Send her over. My angel was stuck too. The Dr. said they are just so little that nature has a hard time taking it's course in situations like these because it is just not supposed to be happening. Give your friend a long hug from all of us. Tell her our hearts break for her and she will be in our prayers and she can come here whenever she wants. You are a true friend for caring so much.

klfc28 April 11th, 2007 04:09 PM

Thank you everyone! It means a lot for the added support.

I will try to get her to come over here, hopefully soon, but when she is ready. I think after the memorial service this weekend, she is gonna have a hard few days or weeks.

I will send her all the wonderful thoughts and prayers from everyone. Thank you again.

jhmomofmany April 11th, 2007 06:34 PM

I think she should be free to decide for herself where she fits in. A loss is a loss, but I usually think of miscarriages happening in the first trimester. I recently had a friend refer to my "miscarriage" and it irritated the heck out of me- I was only four or so days shy of being full term.

Your friend will be in my prayers, and please do invite her to come here when she is ready. :smile:

Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy April 12th, 2007 05:32 AM

in canada over 20 weeks is a stillbirth