JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Student Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f70-student-mommies/)
-   -   Going back to college - finally! Need some advice (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f70-student-mommies/2583156-going-back-to-college-finally-need-some-advice.html)

JannieVanny October 10th, 2012 02:34 PM

Going back to college - finally! Need some advice

Iím looking for advice from anyone working for an associates degree or higher, or that has one: I want to get a degree of some kind, but I don't have the grades or the SAT score to get into a 4-year school. I'm curious what my options will be with an AA degree program, and I'd like to hear from anyone who is enrolled in, or has graduated with one.

SassyMama October 14th, 2012 10:48 PM

Re: Going back to college - finally! Need some advice

I went to a community college (2-year school) to get my AS and then transferred to a 4-year school to complete my BBA. It worked out great for me.

bethlovesjordan October 15th, 2012 09:01 PM

Good job SassyMama, and good for you JannieVanny for looking into going back to school. I am in the same boat and am currently looking into inexpensive schools that I can get into NOW and then transfer the credits I earn into a 4-year program. 4-year schools cost more, but I can save money now by getting some of the required credits out of the way now through either an online school (I am leaning this way) or a community college. Here is where I got the idea from:
Is Community College Right For You? | What is Community College?

8forus October 17th, 2012 01:52 PM

I just wanted to encourage you! One of our son's is attending a community college right now. If he decides to continue on then he'll transfer to a 4 year school.

I'm in graduate school right now - it can be hard but it'll be well worth it when that degree is in my/our hands!

mommy2aidenjames October 19th, 2012 01:56 AM

Community college is a great opportunity for advancement! I was naive in high school and did not take the ACT or the SAT so at first I was disappointed that I would only be able to get into community college. It has worked out great and I love the flexibility of it! Good luck with your goals!

MountainMomma October 20th, 2012 08:36 AM

I also didn't have the grades for a 4 year school, and I had never taken the SAT's. Instead, I opted to go to a community college first, and then transfer in to the four year after I have taken everything I can at the community college. It ended up meaning 3 years at the community college instead of two because I took more than required, but I worked with both schools to make sure it all transfers, and it is saving me a ton of money in the long run. It has also shortened the time I will have to be at the 4 year school.

Good luck with pursuing your education and welcome to the group!