JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Student Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f70-student-mommies/)
-   -   going back -.- (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f70-student-mommies/2671253-going-back.html)

ducksaresnazzy August 9th, 2013 10:59 AM

going back -.-

a quick background: i graduated high school last year at 16, started college at the nearest cc, living at home. boyfriend moved in this past january, we got pregnant around february, i'm due the end of november. we both got straight a's our first semester, but the second semester, he didn't go back because of financial issues and i flunked out because i was so sick from being pregnant (i didn't know i was at the time, i thought i had cancer or something).

now, it's time to go back. my financial aid is due in 6 days. it's being processed, but when i called my campus earlier, they were unsure if it would be completed before the deadline. i really don't want to go back and only am because i still live at home and it's what my parents want. with a baby due around finals week it just seems irresponsible to go back now. Nate still isn't because he wants to make as much money as possible before we move in the spring.

the classes i'm taking are all online. there's six of them this semester. i work, i'm having a baby, and i just plain don't want to have to handle one more responsibility right now. if the aid goes through, i'll be getting so much money, my refund check at the end of the semester will be more than i'd've spent on actual school things. Nate's looking forward to that money helping us move. i feel guilty but i'm hoping the process takes longer than six days so i don't have to worry about classes on top of everything else.

the worst part is, Nate wants to go back. he never wanted to stop but my parents had agreed to pay his fees then never did, so he had to and it took him awhile to save up, and he missed his deadline for the second semester. now, he feels it's his job as the man in our little family to be the monetary provider so he's working as many hours as he can before spring.. his peace of mind was that i'd have a degree and would be able to get some sort of above minimum wage job and then it would be his turn to go to school.

i guess this is more of a rant, because i'm not sure what i'm asking. i was just scrolling through the forums and saw this one, and i needed to tell this to someone who might understand.

MommytoZoeAlyssa August 9th, 2013 01:26 PM

Re: going back -.-

Honestly if you don't want to take the classes right now you shouldn't because you are not going to be motivated to complete your course work esp if they are online classes. I took classes the first time I was pregnant & right after I had my DD and I failed every one of them. I was so stressed and overwhelmed from being pregnant for the first time and what and how to take care of a new born I just simply could not focus on school. I just think you should talk with your parents about how you are feeling and what concerns you have about it all. I wish you the best and if you ever need to talk feel free to PM me! Hope everything works out for you :)

ILoveStorm2011 August 19th, 2013 12:32 AM

As a woman who is 34 weeks preggo and just finished up 2 semesters of school (spring and summer) and had to move on top and worked full-part time I can say that it will be hard. Especially 6 classes! Is that 3 credits each - so 18 credits?? That's a full load and hard not preggo. Online classes can be easy sometimes (I am mostly online also) but they involve so much self-study that it can be harder.

I know in my state with financial aid I can just take the 12 credit min. for full time and still get all my pell grant/student loan money. I only took 10 credits this summer and they still gave me a lot in student loans so if it's the money you're looking for maybe see how little you can take and still come out on top? Also know that as long as they keep it there is a return on tuition on your taxes (if you'll file). I ended up getting all the money I paid for last year back on taxes so your SO can look into that.

I looked into taking classes in fall, even with a baby due October, but right now I am just too tired. Also my preggo brain became very bad near the end of the semester and I just gave up once I knew I would do okay in all the classes.

Sorry for the long reply! Just trying to give you any info that might help. You can also PM me if you have any questions :) I take online at my CC so I can help with that if you want

ducksaresnazzy August 19th, 2013 02:46 PM

minimum class load for my school is 12 credits (4 classes). i've always been an over-achiever and foolishly believed when i made my schedule that i could handle the load. i still believe that, except the baby is due during my finals week and online classes have finals- something i thought i was avoiding. -.-

it turns out, i have until the 27th, and it still hasn't registered on my school account. but the fafsa people say my application has been processed and approved, so it looks like i may go back:/