JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Surrogate Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f327-surrogate-mommies/)
-   -   Thinking about becoming a GS (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f327-surrogate-mommies/2274509-thinking-about-becoming-gs.html)

Precious0013 March 13th, 2011 01:22 PM

Thinking about becoming a GS

My name is Brittany and I am looking to become a GS. I have been doing a little bit of research on surrogacy off and on by about 2 years. And even though I feel like I've done lots of research, I still feel like there are a ton of things I still don't know or am unsure of. I haven't applied for any certain agency yet, because I need to loose some weight before that's even possible. But I was wondering what else I should be doing to prepare myself for this journey? Should I speak with my midwife and get her input about this or do I need to seek out more information from a local fertility clinic? Thank you so much for any help and advice. I look forward to being able to be a GS and help a couple in their dreams of having a child/children. I just want to make sure I am going into this the right way and all the info I need.

jayleepraise March 23rd, 2011 07:56 AM

Re: Thinking about becoming a GS

Welcome. I would do research on your state laws regarding surrogacy as well as check into your insurance for surrogacy exclusions. A doctors clearance for another pregnancy would be helpful. I went through an agency so they guided me through what I needed to do when. Continue to research as much as you can (have you checked out Surrogate Mothers Online, surrogacy They are a wealth of information). I am still learning new things even though my first journey is complete. I am much more aware now of how it all works and will be alot more picky on some things my second time around. Ask questions and read read read!

ixchel March 23rd, 2011 08:04 AM

Re: Thinking about becoming a GS

I agree about researching laws in your state. You will also need an up to date annual (including pap) from your OB or midwife. You'll want to talk to them regarding how they feel about you carrying another pregnancy. Also, talk to your family. Talk to the closest members of your family that you trust and get their feedback. See if you have a support system in place for surrogacy. You may need extended childcare or help with household things while you are pregnant. Look into your insurance coverage and see if it has any surrogacy exclusions. And finally, look into what things are typically included in a surrogacy contract and decide for yourself what you would like. One of the most difficult parts of the surrogacy process is contract negotiation. You can never rush through this. Decide BEFORE matching with potential intended parents what things are negotiable for you and what things aren't, that way you don't have emotions involved when you reach the point that it's time to discuss these things with your potential match. Never, ever believe that you should change something you were once non-negotiable on because you think it might not happen to you anyway. While most surrogacies end happily without complications, many do not, and you don't want to have regrets over something as huge as a surrogacy journey. This journey will be apart of you forever. Doing all of this research ahead of time is awesome! You have a huge heart to consider doing this! Best wishes!