JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   The Teacher's Lounge (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f299-teachers-lounge/)
-   -   Maternity Leave (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f299-teachers-lounge/2631309-maternity-leave.html)

LilSunshine March 3rd, 2013 05:04 PM

Maternity Leave

If you've taken a maternity leave before - how many weeks did you take off? If you haven't taken one, how long would you take?

bellasky March 5th, 2013 10:56 AM

Re: Maternity Leave

Never done it before but I'm going to take the month of May off. I am due at the end of April. Right now I'm on bed rest until the 12th. Part of me hopes to go back to work until I have Isabelle, but the other part of me wants to stay on bed rest.

*Angela* March 7th, 2013 06:52 PM

My oldest son was born in Nov. I returned In Jan. I was out for 8 weeks after a c section.
My younger son was born in June so we were already out for summer. 8 weeks would have been on the first week of school. I wanted a little more time. I took 4 more weeks to make 12 weeks of fmla. I was able to do this because I was breastfeeding and my pediatrician wrote an order for extended time off to establish a good nursing relationship....love this Dr!

LilSunshine March 16th, 2013 07:44 AM

I'm due in July, but I can take 12 weeks off at the beginning of the year. I think I'm going to "ask" if I can take off 15 to be gone through Christmas. I think it will be a better transition for the kids if I come back after that break than right before. I didn't feel like I had enough time when J was born.

LJD3Tdance March 20th, 2013 03:35 PM

I have them all at times where I've never had to.

spicymustard April 22nd, 2013 11:10 AM

I took 12 weeks with my first two. 12 weeks this time would have put me going back for 3 weeks amd then summer so I'm just taking the rest of the year.

LUSHaye August 1st, 2013 05:41 PM

I would probably take the full 12 weeks. But there was another mom on here in a different thread that had talked about taking a certain amount of full weeks and then weaning back into the work flow with half day weeks. I love the idea.
But it would also be nice to have a baby when I wouldn't need to take a huge break, although that can't always be planned.

LilSunshine August 18th, 2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUSHaye (Post 27558780)
I would probably take the full 12 weeks. But there was another mom on here in a different thread that had talked about taking a certain amount of full weeks and then weaning back into the work flow with half day weeks. I love the idea.
But it would also be nice to have a baby when I wouldn't need to take a huge break, although that can't always be planned.

I would love to go back part time, even if it's just for awhile! My school district frowns upon shared positions and part time stuff, so I know that's not an option for me. :(

I'm going to be taking off through December (but going back for the beginning of the year inservice days). I'm really happy that I can take that much time off!