JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Traveling Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f784-traveling-mommies/)
-   -   Bring Grandma on cruise to babysit or not? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f784-traveling-mommies/2236256-bring-grandma-cruise-to-babysit-not.html)

Jule'sMomInOR February 1st, 2011 01:04 PM

Bring Grandma on cruise to babysit or not?

DH and I will be going on a 7 night cruise in November with our then 15 month old DD. My mom is willing to go on the cruise to babysit, if we pay for her, of course. We'd then need a suite, which gets pricey. DD will be too young for the babysitting services, and DH and I want to go cave tubing, which will probably be impossible with her. OTOH, I'm not sure that we want to spend an extra $2K just to go caving tubing, KWIM? I do like the idea of having a suite with bedroom to ourselves so we can have some romance, but IDK if it's worth it.

For those of you who have taking LO's on a cruise, how did it go?

MaddiesMama February 1st, 2011 08:48 PM

Re: Bring Grandma on cruise to babysit or not?

I personally wouldn't, but I'm a cheapskate. For me, it would boil down to the money and I wouldn't be able to fork it over very willingly. I don't know what your long term travel plans are, but I know for us, we plan on cruising again and again and again, so during these early years, we don't even try to vacation at our pace, we always vacation at the kiddo's pace. That means a lot of beach days and shorter excursions while shoreside. She's only this little once and we love every second of vacation with her, even the stressful times. As she gets older, we'll be able to do more and we'll also have vacations where it's just DH and I to do all of the stuff that we can't do without her.

We didn't cruise with our daughter until she was 2.5, but she's been on several land vacations each year since she was 2 months old. It's hard to compare the 2 because they are so different, but I'm a huge advocate of always going at your child's pace. Nap when it's naptime, feed her at her regularly scheduled time as well as any other time she's hungry and if she's antsy or in meltdown mode, then it's time to finish up and go back to the condo/hotel for some quiet time to decompress. This formula has always worked very well for us in the past and the only major problems we've ever had on a vacation was during the most recent one, where she did not like being inside our stateroom on the ship because it was so small and didn't have windows (she was fine every time we left the room, but inconsolable inside the room). Plus, my daughter has autism (high functioning), so that's another challenge we face while vacationing. If your child is more easygoing, you will have an easier time.

brynnkelley04 February 2nd, 2011 06:15 AM

Re: Bring Grandma on cruise to babysit or not?

I am just browsing threw the boards and came across this post.

My husband and I go on 1 to 2 cruises a year. Usually with Carnival. We take the kids every other time we go. The kids love Camp Carnival and best of all it's free. Well it's free until 10pm and then they charge $6.00 per hour from 10pm to 2am.

I know your daughter is much younger then my children but she still should have fun. You might want to call your cruise line because I think I remember meeting a young couple on the ship that had a baby and they either said there was NO day care for under 2 year or the hours were really restricted. If that is the case you may want to either leave her behind this trip or take your mother. We have been on a ton of cruises and without a day care/babysitter it would be no fun.

Just my 2 cents.....good luck and have a wonderful time.