JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive 1 Year + (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f504-trying-to-conceive-1-year/)
-   -   DH Has The Bug Now.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f504-trying-to-conceive-1-year/1084648-dh-has-bug-now.html)

PlasticFork May 27th, 2008 09:40 PM

DH and I went to a couple of different stores today, and stopped off in the baby section as always. We went through the travel systems at K-mart. DH was a man on a mission! He fiddled with every one of them, got them off the rack, folded them up, leaned on them to see how strong they were, and checked every one to make sure they had the EPS foam, and a level indicator. He compared their size, strength, weight, and maneuverability. He messed with them for a solid hour.

There were two that were our favorites, but they only had one of those in stock (they had display models of all of them though). Basically, the very same stroller, only they were two different brands, and, of course, different, yet similar, patterns. Both are the exact same price, as well.

DH is now foaming at the mouth to buy one of them. It does make it a difficult decision, since one of them is marked down $20-30, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to invest another $150 into something that we aren't sure will ever be.

He does make some good points though. The one is on sale, we can get it online and there is free shipping on it until May 31st, free site-to-store shipping on the other one at all times though, and we will have all of the major baby purchases out of the way then.

DH ended up liking the one that was on sale just a little bit better than the other. I liked the other a little bit better. Really, the only difference is brand, handle shape on the carseat (DH loves the ergonomic Evenflo handles), and pattern.

Like I said, DH fiddled with both of them forever and they both feel as though they are made quite well. They both seem to weigh about the same, and have the same options on them.

I really don't think we'll be buying one until we get a BFP, but I did want to ask you ladies something:

In your experiences/the experiences of those you know, which brand is better: Graco or Evenflo? Whether we purchase the travel system now, or later, it will definitely be between these two brands.

I don't believe that either brand is a bad brand at all, but I'm not sure if maybe one would be a little better. Our pack 'n play is an Evenflo and I absolutely love that thing, and it seems to be made quite well, but I've heard great things about Graco, as well. Graco Snugride carseats seem to be about top in safety, but Evenflo's are supposed to be tested at 2 times the force that they have to be, so I'm not sure which one would be better.

What do you ladies think?

nikas_mommy May 27th, 2008 10:50 PM

I remember both brands being recalled a lot when I worked retail... so my advice is to wait until the last couple of months to buy that unless you want to mess with the possible hassle of multiple recalls (I personally wouldn't)

MountainMomma May 28th, 2008 12:32 AM

I've used both brands, and love them both. Either would be a great purchase.

Kobain's Mommy May 28th, 2008 06:30 AM

STAY AWAY FROM EVENFLO!!!! My cousin had one for her last baby. He was born in October and she threw it away by December. She had nothing but problems with the car seat. It was a PITA to use the car seat because you HAD to use a base with it and it took 3 adults 30 minutes to get the base in the car right. She threw it away because she was shopping one day. Luckily she took the baby out of the seat and put the diaper bag in it. Her DH was carrying the seat and she had the baby. The handle broke on the seat. I went on line and found numerous other cases of that happening. I know there's been recalls since, but I still don't trust them. They are cheaper for a reason. She also got rid of the stroller because the wheels kept falling off. She ended up borrowing my Graco stuff I had bought for when I baby sat him and wished she had bought that from the beginning.

Delekatala May 28th, 2008 08:21 AM

Personally I like britax carseats. But then for carseats I have to think from a special needs child point of view. Britax makes safe carseats up to 100 pounds. I am also more fond of graco products.

Kobain's Mommy May 28th, 2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Personally I like britax carseats. But then for carseats I have to think from a special needs child point of view. Britax makes safe carseats up to 100 pounds. I am also more fond of graco products.[/b]
I agree about Britax. Although for an infant seat personally I can't justify paying $200 for a seat that will only last a year if that. We plan on a Graco travel system then once they out grow that I'm getting a Britax.

ashleighgurl May 30th, 2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

STAY AWAY FROM EVENFLO!!!! My cousin had one for her last baby. He was born in October and she threw it away by December. She had nothing but problems with the car seat. It was a PITA to use the car seat because you HAD to use a base with it and it took 3 adults 30 minutes to get the base in the car right. She threw it away because she was shopping one day. Luckily she took the baby out of the seat and put the diaper bag in it. Her DH was carrying the seat and she had the baby. The handle broke on the seat. I went on line and found numerous other cases of that happening. I know there's been recalls since, but I still don't trust them. They are cheaper for a reason. She also got rid of the stroller because the wheels kept falling off. She ended up borrowing my Graco stuff I had bought for when I baby sat him and wished she had bought that from the beginning.[/b]
Wow, that's crazy! I had no idea that they were bad like that! I was honestly going to say that I couldn't decide, because I have heard good things about both brands - But, I better do my research! hah!

afgal May 30th, 2008 07:29 AM

I like Graco but I really haven't researched much about it. I was really into it when we first started TTC but about this time last year we got a false positive on a HPT and that pretty much zapped the fun out of TTC.