JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive after Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f114-trying-to-conceive-after-loss/)
-   -   TTC after D&C - how long to wait? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f114-trying-to-conceive-after-loss/2635965-ttc-after-d-and-c-how-long-to-wait.html)

islandbaby March 19th, 2013 08:17 AM

TTC after D&C - how long to wait?

I had a D&C done this past Saturday. I have mixed emotions about ttc again. I know that time is working against me since I'm already 35, so I'm wondering IF I decide to give it another try, when I can start ttc after having a D&C? Are the risks of miscarriage greater if ttc right away after having a miscarriage already? I'm just so confused?

lelila March 19th, 2013 08:38 AM

Re: TTC after D&C - how long to wait?

I think every OB gives a different answer on this, but you should go by your OBs advice, they know your body best.

And you have plenty of time. Many women are just starting their families at 35.

islandbaby March 19th, 2013 08:51 AM

Yes, I will definitely talk to my Dr. about this. I guess right now I'm just anxious trying to look towards the future instead of dwelling on the past, kwim?

lelila March 19th, 2013 12:27 PM

Oh I know EXACTLY what you mean. After reading your post this morning I sat and bitterly thought about the past 5 years and felt so angry. Why did this happen to us? I wish we could have a do over. All the "What Ifs" and "If onlys".

But now is the time to look ahead! The future is what we make of it, and I want to end my TTC journey without regrets.

momology March 19th, 2013 12:46 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss :hug:

I agree with lelila - it is different for every woman and situation so really whatever your doctor says is probably best. I have seen women on here who have been told they could begin TTC 2 weeks after the D&C, ones who have been told just to wait for 1 natural period, and others who were told to wait at least 3 months. When I asked similar questions to my doctor she said in some cases there is a higher risk of miscarriage if you get pregnant too soon however in many early loss cases you can begin TTC right away with no increased risk. Hopefully your doctor will be able to provide you with more specific answers for you.

So sorry you are going through this right now. We are here any time you want to talk. And I hope as soon as you are ready to TTC again you get your sticky BFP quickly!

L-SBB March 20th, 2013 11:26 AM

While I'm sad to welcome you to this group, I'm glad you came here - there's so much support for you when you find you need it ((((hugs)))

OBs are all over the place on wait periods - some will say none, 1 cycle & 3 cycles are often recommended....that said ask your doctor whether there were any issues with the D&C and if s/he recommends a wait period ask why so you understand their reasoning. 1 cycle is very common wait recommendation, and it's usually just to give your body a break and for uterine lining to return to normal. Some doctors recommend longer, but it's rarely based in medical need (exception to this is if they want to run certain tests, which require set period post pregnancy for accuracy) and often is just a concern that you've had enough time to emotionally heal from the loss.

smsturner March 23rd, 2013 08:33 PM

Thank you for posting this. I face my D&C this week, and had this same question.

lelila March 24th, 2013 09:16 AM

I was reading an article after this post came up and there is alot of evidence that there isn't any risk to getting pregnant right away. I wish I could find the article. Of course the article prefaced the whole thing with "For those with recurrent loss, getting pregnant right away poses more of a threat of miscarriage". So if it's your first loss, you don't just don't know right?

If you do read any articles like I did, try to stick with medical journals. There are alot of opinions out there and they won't do you much good.

I'm sorry you are here. I hope you heal quickly.

smsturner March 24th, 2013 09:46 AM

My doctor actually said something really similar to this. He said that a lot of doctors says it increases rate of miscarriage to try right away, but there's not a study that really backs that up. He wants to give me 6 weeks to see if I get a cycle on my own and for some emotional healing...

islandbaby March 24th, 2013 10:44 AM

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I realize that I am not emotionally capable to make that decision anytime soon, so giving my body 3 months to heal might also be a good idea for me to have adequate time to heal emotionally and make an informed decision about whether to ttc.

lelila March 24th, 2013 11:00 AM

After my first loss, I read post after post and saw SO many women who said "We started TTC right away and now I have my baby blah blah. My OB said we could start after the first cycle and we did. Honestly, I felt like crap getting back into it. We did because the clock isn't just ticking, it's SCREAMING like WWIII is happening.

Now that I'm into my 1st cycle post a second MC, I don't hear any sirens. I just feel well, numb. Like the war is already over.