JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Clomid FAQs for a (somewhat) Newbie!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/1510493-clomid-faqs-for-somewhat-newbie.html)

irunpink April 7th, 2009 05:54 AM

Clomid FAQs for a (somewhat) Newbie!!

Hi All :),

I haven't been on here in months, mostly because I had to put trying to conceive on hold for health reasons :(. Thankfully, I'm doing a bit better...I still have issues with ovulation (I have borderline PCOS, according to the docs) but am going to start Clomid in a about 2 weeks!

I just started Provera last night (because Aunt Flo hadn't showed in 4 months, I'm quite irregular) and I get my HSG done in about a week and a half! (They want to make sure I don't have blocked tubes; highly unlikely for me.)

So here is/are my questions for you all.

For those of you who've had success with Clomid, how long did it take?

For those of you taking Clomid, is there anything you do to help with the 'fertile mucus' problem (I've heard Clomid can cause unfriendly mucus, is this true?)?

Is there anything I really need to be warned about?

Also, have any of you tried Preseed with Clomid, and how did that work for you?

Did any of you all use Ovulation Predictors when taking Clomid (I have an electronic one, not sure if it will read right with the medication)?

Worst side effects?

Thanks so much, anything else you can add/tips would be much appreciated. I am so glad I'm finally getting started on this, my body just wasn't cooperating for awhile there :/.

MountainMomma April 7th, 2009 06:08 AM

Re: Clomid FAQs for a (somewhat) Newbie!!

I took Clomid for 3 months. I didn't have any success with it, but I've read several places now that it normally doesn't help with unexplained infertility when you are already ovulating on your own anyway. :confused: I didn't have any problems with cervical fluid, but my RE said that if I did, to use canola oil instead of preseed. He says it works just as good as pre-seed and saves tons of money that we could use elsewhere.

I did use OPK's with no problems, and as far as worst side effects...probably the absolutely HORRIBLE visits from AF. I'm not the best person to ask though because Clomid gave me TONS of side effects........ all unpleasant!

I took Clomid for 3 months. I didn't have any success with it, but I've read several places now that it normally doesn't help with unexplained infertility when you are already ovulating on your own anyway. :confused: I didn't have any problems with cervical fluid, but my RE said that if I did, to use canola oil instead of preseed. He says it works just as good as pre-seed and saves tons of money that we could use elsewhere.

I did use OPK's with no problems, and as far as worst side effects...probably the absolutely HORRIBLE visits from AF. I'm not the best person to ask though because Clomid gave me TONS of side effects........ all unpleasant!

~*Jackie*~ April 7th, 2009 06:19 AM

I took Clomid for 4 cycles with no success, but before starting it, I wasn't ovulating on my own regularly. Since my first dose, however, I have ovulated every cycle (even on off cycles).

My CM was actually MORE abundant my first cycle on Clomid, but the next few it deteriorated a little. I was taking EPO (evening primrose oil) for a few cycles to help with that. I have also used Preseed (but generally not on Clomid cycles because I didn't need it with the EPO).

Regular OPKs never work for me, but digitals do. They also worked just fine on Clomid- you just can't test too early, as you may get a false positive result.

As far as side effects, I had hot flashes, headaches from AF through O, major bloating through O time, and minor mood swings (although DH wouldn't refer to them as "minor" LOL)

I wish you the best of luck and glad you're back to the ttc world!

irunpink April 7th, 2009 06:43 AM

Thanks for your responses, Ladies. I'm also worried it won't work for me :/. But we shall see...

~*Jackie*~ April 7th, 2009 07:07 AM

I don't want our stories to scare you... there are LOTS of ladies that have great luck with Clomid! :smile: Unfortunately it doesn't work for everyone though..

Ads April 7th, 2009 07:13 AM

i took clomid for 2 months and got pregnant the 2nd month itself.1st month 1 took 50mg,i did not ovulate on that.2nd month i took 100mg and i ovulated.i used pre-seed.i really liked it.
i did not have any side effects as such with clomid.
i did not use OPK either bcoz my doc was monitering me.i went for cd13 U/s to see if i had mature follie and then she gave me the HCG trigger shot.

amberrose22 April 7th, 2009 07:39 AM

My first time on 50mg of clomid I got my bfp. I took it on CD 3-7 used OPK's (the clearblue easy sticks) Got a positive OPK on CD 15 had my IUI on CD 16... and bam... I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant.

Thought maybe you needed success story thrown in there :) Good luck to you!

irunpink April 7th, 2009 07:52 AM

Thanks so much for your encouragement! :D Congrats on your BFP :)!!

MamaAnna April 7th, 2009 08:03 AM

I took 50mg of Clomid on CDs 5-9 due to PCOS. On my second cycle I got a BFP. I also used OPKs and charted. Clomid didn't dry me out the way it does for some others. Actually, it seemed to have the reverse effect. It did make me incredibly moody, especially during the 2WW. That lasted for a few weeks after my BFP as well. Clomid shouldn't affect a monitor or OPKs because there is no LH in it. As long as they normally work for you when you O they should work just fine with the Clomid.

Good luck! I hope you get your BFP soon! :dust:

irunpink April 7th, 2009 08:22 AM

Thank you! Yes, I've heard that Clomid dries some women up and/or produces hostile cervical mucus. Is there any way to check to see if it's hostile?

KMH April 7th, 2009 05:09 PM

The only way to know if it is hostile is to do a post-coital test...which is when you have your doctor look at your CM 1-4 hours after you BD. He'll put your CM on a slide and see how many sperm are swimming around in there.

babybatax2 April 7th, 2009 05:18 PM

I have taken for four cycles with no luck. I never had any problems with CM. I did the OPK's a little with Clomid, but it was just too stressful for me.

The side effects I had varied each time.

1st time: hot flashes, cried a lot
2nd time: hot flashes
3rd time: hot flashes, night sweats
4th time: night sweats and insomnia

tawny63 April 8th, 2009 11:29 AM

I did not have success with clomid, but my s/e were: migraines, hot flashes, and ovary over-reaction. I had intense pain, so I knew I had a problem.
Good luck and keep us posted!!!