JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Question for a friend (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/1889746-question-for-friend.html)

rebeccabaltimore and more February 26th, 2010 02:57 PM

Question for a friend

So a friend asked me an MA question and I am stumped.

She was saying that she had read about how chemicals called plastic softeners, used frequently in plastic household products, significantly impair fertility. She wanted to know if there was a way to detox them out of your system. She's not TTC yet but seems very concerned about it.

Has anybody ever heard of this?

Lash February 26th, 2010 03:28 PM

Re: Question for a friend

One thing to know is that one of the most harmful, BPA, has recently been taken out of NEW products, but not out of old products. I don't think there is a way to detox, but to avoid future contact

-Never heat anything IN plastic
-Never heat in styrofoam
-If possible, don't drink hot drinks out of styrofoam
- Use plastic wraps and cookware made of polyethylene which doesn't contain plasticisers. If the product doesn't make this clear, don't buy it.
- If you buy hard cheese wrapped in plastic use a knife to shave off the surface layer
- When you reheat or cook food don't let plastic wrap touch it.

- Don't wrap food in cling film; use paper instead. Immediately remove cling film wrap from food you buy and transfer them to a bag or container. Better yet ask the person on the deli to wrap your food in paper.

- Don't store fatty food in plastic wrap. Xenoestrogens are lipophilic (fat loving) and will tend to leach into foods with a high fat content.

jamie7 March 1st, 2010 01:06 PM

I just saw this post. My accupuncturist told me the same thing. She used to be on some kind of board for this before she started doing accupuncture. I do not know all the details but it looks like Lash said everything that I remember my accupuncturist saying!

KMH March 1st, 2010 01:49 PM

One of the ways that the BPA enters your system most frequently is through foods that come in tin cans (canned vegetables, fruits, baby formula, etc). The tin cans are lined with a very thin layer of epoxy/plastic that contains BPA that leaches into the foods. Try to eat fresh or frozen vegetables/fruits as often as possible, and try to purchase products that are either in glass or BPA-free plastics.

angel3y35 March 1st, 2010 02:17 PM

I had no idea about all of this. I'm glad to have this info now. Must buy more fresh/frozen veggies.

KDD March 1st, 2010 05:05 PM

I've heard the same thing. I try to re-heat all my food on a plate now instead of in the plastic storage container, and I never drink from plastic anymore.

KMH March 1st, 2010 05:51 PM

Piggybacking on this...parabens (methylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, etc) are another chemical that can disrupt the natural hormone balance. You can find them in most shampoos, lotions, soaps, hair products...everywhere! They are even (shockingly) in products for babies and kids. Since first reading about them while TTC, I have really tried to buy things that don't have them...Aveeno and St. Ives have some paraben-free products, and there are others as well if you look carefully.

rebeccabaltimore and more March 1st, 2010 07:00 PM

Thanks guys - I passed all of this information on to her!!