JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Odds and Percentages (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/1901953-odds-and-percentages.html)

mmllhh March 8th, 2010 06:46 PM

Odds and Percentages

Having gone thru 4 mc's this past year, i'm in the process of starting IVF.
So, my question is, Are there better odd of my not MC'ing if I have an ivf?

pianogirl March 8th, 2010 07:10 PM

Re: Odds and Percentages

Hi there. I'm so sorry for your losses. My name is Michelle. I began IVF last March and unfortunately we mc at 6 weeks, and then did do a fet in Oct. and had a chemical pregnancy. I've looked into this myself because of the fact we did and are going to be doing IVF again and pretty much found they said the same stuff. Most researchers do not believe that the reason for the increased risk relates to the IVF procedure. Rather, it is more likely that increased risk of miscarriage after IVF (or other infertility treatment) has more to do with the underlying reasons for the infertility treatment. As well, when doing IVF you find out if you are pregnant so early on that if you had gotten pregnant naturally may not even realize you had a mc because it would be right around the time of your period.

Having said that I really don't want you to feel discouraged, because there are so many women who have done IVF and have a baby or babies! I know just being on this board I see some of the ladies who have their IVF miracles and it gives me such hope. And even after doing IVF and then a FET with not positive results we are still going ahead with another round of IVF as I'm sure that we will end up with a healthy IVF miracle baby hopefully sometime early 2011.

Do they know why you are having the miscarriages and that's why they want you to do IVF? I wish you all the best and pray you will get a sticky bean! Good luck.

Kari_B March 8th, 2010 07:12 PM

:dothug: I think that Michelle gave you some really good information. I'm curious about if they did any testing about your previous MC's also. Have you done any genetic testing??

mmllhh March 8th, 2010 08:08 PM

We did all of our genetic testing and they basically found no reason for the MC's. DH and I are both 38 so they are blaming advance maternal age. My RE's theory is they will make sure that they have a healthy egg and healthy sperm, do the genetic testing on the embryo and then do the transfer and hope this works.

Kari_B March 9th, 2010 07:49 AM

Well, I hope that things work out for you with IVF!

KMH March 9th, 2010 09:54 AM

Michelle explained it better than I could have, so I really don't have much to add. Good luck with IVF; I hope that your little bundle of joy is right around the corner!