JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   IVF clinic success rate numbers game ...please be careful. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2055667-ivf-clinic-success-rate-numbers-game-please-careful.html)

kreinhart July 28th, 2010 09:26 AM

IVF clinic success rate numbers game ...please be careful.

I am new to this forum and as I have been reading something occurred to me and I want to offer some advice to anyone doing IVF.

I have had 1 round of IVF and I have one ovary and a very high FSH number. I am definitely one of the worst case scenarios. The fertility clinic that I went to refused to do another round of IVF because they only got 2 eggs from me. Ok some of you are probably thinking ..why would you want another round and risk losing more money to possibly only get 1 or 2 eggs? The fact is I was not given the choice, they made the decision for me and offered to help us find a donor egg.

Here is where the caution comes.....fertility clinics need good numbers, when you were looking for a clinic didn't you want to know their success rate? I did the same thing and went to the most successful clinic in my city. The problem is I am potentially going to bring their numbers down. I do not produce enough eggs and my success % is going to be way lower. Does this mean I do not get a chance with the few eggs I can produce? AM I at the mercy of the clinic? YES. Please be careful to not let your clinic sway you to up their numbers game.

I am currently working with Dr. Silber in St. Louis doing the Mini IVF procedure and the one thing he said to me that made me breakdown and cry was "I don't care about the numbers, I want you to have a chance at having your own child."

Please remember when you are working with anyone in the IVF field that at the end of the day they need good numbers. We all stand a chance of having our own children and I am not giving up. Ask questions make sure they will work with you no matter what your odds are. Women everyday have miracles happen.

Jenn in DC July 29th, 2010 02:52 PM

Re: IVF clinic success rate numbers game ...please be careful.

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I hadn't really thought about it this way and I appreciate you sharing your story. I wish you the very, very best and I hope that the mini IVF works for you!

Sarah:Marie:IVF:Mommy August 4th, 2010 03:45 PM

my dr was pretty great and he is SO optomistic. And to be honest I never asked him about his clinics numbers and success rates. But we got pregnant on the first IVF cycle with a lot of bad news in terms of my eggs and what we ended up with. So I love my dr

nichyvon January 1st, 2012 07:50 PM

I know it has been a while since you posted, but if you are still on this forum I would love to hear how things turned out. I'm considering working with another doctor in Dr. Silber's office - Dr. Pineda - and was wondering if you ended up happy with your experience at that office.

Robyn RN June 20th, 2013 02:38 PM

I am so sorry to hear you experienced this kind of treatment. It's true; many clinics do turn away women who are considered the "difficult cases", or leave them little choice of trying conceive with their own eggs.

A good fertility clinic should always give you the choice.

IVF success rates are not the most important thing to look at when choosing an IVF center.

Some centers are world renowned and respected for taking on the most difficult cases of infertility.Their success rates may not be as high as other clinics who just accept younger women with higher pregnancy chances, but the care and expertise are just as good, if not better.

Lash June 20th, 2013 02:42 PM

Wow this is 3 years old!

*JenJen* June 20th, 2013 02:46 PM

Holy old thread bump!

KMH June 20th, 2013 03:28 PM

Weird...

kayakr June 21st, 2013 06:11 AM

What the heck?