JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Progesterone suppositories - please help (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2207546-progesterone-suppositories-please-help.html)

Servilia January 4th, 2011 06:31 PM

Progesterone suppositories - please help

HI ladies.. I've posted in here once or twice with questions and you've always been very helpful. I'm Judy and I'm not sure whether I'm technically TTC with MA - my problem seems to be more with recurrent loss (2 in the last year) so I'm seeing an RE for possible help with that.
One of the things she's doing is giving me progesterone suppositories to use twice a day. And I'm about to start tonight but I have some questions:

Do they get messy? I mean should I be wearing a liner when I use it?

What kinds of symptoms/side effects can I expect? I've heard I can get pretty convincing "pregnancy symptoms" but is there anything specific I should be expecting?

And how long do I have to wait after using it before DTD? :p

Any other info is appreciated!!

Thank you so much.

hearts.0nfire January 4th, 2011 06:50 PM

Re: Progesterone suppositories - please help

just lurking on here but when I took them (which was for about 8 weeks) I had to wear liners since I didn't like the wet feeling. As far as feeling symptoms I was already pregnant at the time so I can't say for sure if it enhanced any symptoms.

I hope they work well for you! :)

FLAteacher January 4th, 2011 06:56 PM

I will be starting them on Thursday night. Would also like to hear from other ladies about it.

Em2528 January 4th, 2011 07:13 PM

Lurking...

I had to use these as well because we also have a history of recurrent loss. I would suggest wearing a thin liner (a heavy pad isnt neccesary), because after a while they will leak a little white (TMI warning) cottage cheese like discharge. It wont be like pouring out of you or anything, dont worry, it might just leak a little like you might leak a little CM. I dont remember really having any side effects from them other than maybe slightly sore bbs, but nothing real noticeable. Im not real sure about the BDing timing after using them. The ones I used were sorta large in size and I was concerned about them burning once they were inserted or feeling funny because they were big, but rest assured, I never felt anything from them. If you have slight pink spotting they say thats normal because your cervix might get slightly irritated from them, but I never had this problem. I cant really think of anything else at the moment, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask! Good luck!

Jacquie January 4th, 2011 09:01 PM

My doctor prescribes them for me once I get pregnant because I had a couple of early miscarriages. Because of that I can't comment on the whole symptom thing, but I did have to wear a liner for leakage. It wasn't hugely messy, but you'll still want a liner.

.H.e.a.t.h.e.r. January 4th, 2011 09:17 PM

yes very messy and I would definitely wear a liner and even old underwear. They leave oily stains if it touches your undies/clothes

What kinds of symptoms/side effects can I expect? I've heard I can get pretty convincing "pregnancy symptoms" but is there anything specific I should be expecting?
everything that could be a pregnancy symptom,you will be pretty tired and they can make you dizzy

And how long do I have to wait after using it before DTD?
The drug is fully absorbed within 20-30 minutes after that it's all just the casing/goo.
If that falls out as long as it's been 20-30 minutes everything is fine.

It can be really sticky though so it can be awkward for your husband. He could wear a condom if he wanted to. My said it felt like he was being glued to my cervix lol

Crunchymama08 January 4th, 2011 09:53 PM

I used them when I was PG with DD. I was already pregnant at the time so I can't speak to the pregnancy symptoms. It also gave me (:tmi:) the most horrific constant yeast infection (until I was 14 weeks pregnant! :eek: ), so DH and I did not DTD at all during that time as a result.

However, I will say that you should definitely wear a liner. You won't need a full-on pad, but a liner will help. Also, be careful to not do kegels or bear down too much after insertion, that can have it come out more as well. I always did mine right before bed (once a day) so that it didn't really ever come out on me. Just a little bit on my liner (like when you have heavy EWCM).

Good luck and eat your yogurt so you don't have the same problems I did! :giggle:

Servilia January 5th, 2011 03:53 AM

Thank you so much ladies your inputs really help :)
I used my first dose last night and so far so good.. I did have a little leak but not much. I just feel a little crampy but don't feel anything else yet.
Thanks again :)

Celry January 5th, 2011 05:28 AM

I used a liner as well. It doesn't pour out of you, but it's more comfortable to have the liner in if it does leak a little.

I don't know about the symptoms either. I was on progesterone as a pill form for a few cycles, but had no side effects from that. I switched to the suppositories when I got prego.

I can't remember how long after inserting them you should wait to DTD.

FLAteacher January 5th, 2011 08:12 AM

Guess I better go buy panty liners!

LindseyandJoeinAL January 5th, 2011 08:22 AM

A. I'm using Crinone gel twice a day and I don't have much, if any leakage. The bad part is....warning TMI!....the gel accumulates in your vagina and just kinda stays there. :eek: When I shower I try to clean myself up a bit and it looks like cottage cheese. :yuck: Needless to say, DH and I aren't DTD lately.

A. I haven't noticed any side effects this time or last. My BBS may have been a little sore and perhaps I was more tired than usual.

And how long do I have to wait after using it before DTD?
A. See above.

Servilia January 5th, 2011 10:03 AM

Thanks for the additional input :)
I have noticed some symptoms since this morning... I am feeling warmer and I have :tmi: gas! :( Anyone else had gas as a side effect? oh and bloating but I was expecting that..

Blondn6ft January 5th, 2011 03:21 PM

I start using Prometrium suppositories tomorrow night.
I had no side effects from them last time but my RE recommends inserting them at night so they can do their thing without interupting your day (ie leaking).

I too used a panty liner as the "candle wax" was a tad icky in the AM !

Was curious about the DTD ... before or after inserting ?

Servilia January 5th, 2011 05:02 PM

I have a follow up question ladies - the instructions don't tell me whether to refrigerate or not! And the RE didn't say anything about that either - is it safe to assume they are ok at room temperature? Thanks

FLAteacher January 5th, 2011 05:07 PM

Mine are in the fridge.

Celry January 5th, 2011 05:11 PM

I was told to keep mine refrigerated.

Blondn6ft January 6th, 2011 03:42 PM

hmmm ... don't have mine refridgerated and wasn't told to
Nothing on the label says too ...

wonder if I should ?

Servilia January 6th, 2011 07:37 PM

Thanks ladies. I ended up calling the RE's office to make sure and my specific suppositories do not need to be refrigerated but they can be. Maybe check with your pharmacist or doc for a recommendation?

.H.e.a.t.h.e.r. January 6th, 2011 08:35 PM

mine didn't need to be in the fridge. Mine were prometrium 100mg

FLAteacher January 7th, 2011 10:54 AM

I took my supplement last night and today I am moist down there. Is that normal??