JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   An intro and some questions too (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2429909-intro-and-some-questions-too.html)

Twoboysmaybemore October 11th, 2011 10:47 AM

An intro and some questions too

I have been on JM for some time now but have spent most of my time in the TTCAL group. I had my first son with no issue, then had 6 consecutive early losses when TTC baby #2. Baby boy number 2 arrived last summer and we started trying again right away for #3. I am not 15 cycles of well timed BD and accurate charting with no luck.

So, while I am not new to message boards and the "infertility community" I am just very new to experiencing it first hand. I started 50 mg. of Clomid yesterday (CD4) and am scheduled for a trigger shot on the 18th. The RE stated that his goal is to produce 2 eggs and therefore 2 targets.

If any of you know, I would love to understand better what the actual purpose of the trigger shot is. Is it to help time the BD better or is it to ensure that only a certain number of eggs actually ovulate?

I look forward to getting to know you all better but I hope we all have a very short stay. :) Thanks!

*JenJen* October 11th, 2011 10:58 AM

Re: An intro and some questions too

Hey there! I hope your stay here is short and you get your sticky BFP soon.

The trigger shots helps the eggs to mature and ensures that they release, helping to make sure ovulation occurs and that you have the best chances possible for conception. With the trigger shot, it is a giant dose of HCG, so it will cause some side effects and HPT's will be positive for about 10 days post trigger, depending on your dose and how your body metabolizes the HCG.

Are they doing any kind of monitoring with the clomid?

Twoboysmaybemore October 11th, 2011 11:14 AM

They did an u/s on CD4 (yesterday) to check for cysts. The trigger shot is mailed to me but I take it with me to an appointment for them to actually do it in a week. I am guessing that they will do an u/s before the trigger to see how many eggs will be popping? Would that be a likely assumption?

Is there typically more monitoring to be done?

KMH October 11th, 2011 12:28 PM

Ditto to everything Jen said about the trigger shot...it is a wonderful tool to help everything happen as smoothly and predictably as possible.

It is typical to have an ultrasound around CD3 to check for cysts or anything else unexpected, and then to have another closer to ovulation to see if/how the medication is working and when you should trigger. Some docs do bloodwork as well when you do that second ultrasound, and some do not. Some docs will also do 7DPO progesterone to make sure your levels are adequate and that you do not need to supplement.

Have you done RPL testing or other testing to see if there is an explanation for your losses?

I'm glad that you found our board and hope that you find lots of support here!

*JenJen* October 11th, 2011 02:57 PM

and ditto what Melissa(KMH) said to your other questions!

JessicaW October 11th, 2011 04:45 PM

Welcome, Maria!

My RE likes to see follicles of at least 18 mm on clomid before we trigger. So I would go in every three days for an ultrasound starting on CD 12. I'm not sure if that's the standard protocol for monitoring or not.

Good luck!