JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Donor eggs (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2467239-donor-eggs.html)

ccartanddesign December 27th, 2011 09:31 AM

Donor eggs

What is the cost of using donor eggs at your clinics? And does the cost include medications for the donor as well as the cost of transferring the egg to you? Just looking into this at our clinic so any information would be helpful. Thanks!

*JenJen* December 27th, 2011 10:12 AM

Re: Donor eggs

I have no idea, as it is not something we have discussed since we aren't even considering IVF for anohter few years.

L-SBB December 27th, 2011 10:16 AM

i don't know either since we're not doing IVF right now, but wanted to wish you the best as you explore that option!

ccartanddesign December 27th, 2011 11:47 AM

I received a print out from our clinic. Donor eggs are $22,000 plus meds. And if you do a shared donor cycle its $13,000 plus meds. Since meds are covered under my insurance can I buy the meds and give them to the donor? How does that work?

MandyEllen December 27th, 2011 01:02 PM

A girl I work with donates eggs to the clinic that I go to. She's off this week or I'd ask her how it works for her. I know that she doesn't pay anything and that the meds are given to her. I never thought about who pays for them though.

Good luck to you though! I hope that you get a BFP!

LindseyE117 December 27th, 2011 02:11 PM

Hmm... That seems ungodly expensive. What is a shared IVF cycle if I may ask? You may also want to look into other clinics. You were coming to Houston right? They have a lot of clincs that are pretty good here, and pricing is competative.

ccartanddesign December 27th, 2011 03:15 PM

Lindsay, yes I go to my clinic in Houston.
A shared cycle is where you and another couple share the expense and you also split the eggs that are produced.

kayakr December 28th, 2011 07:28 AM

My clinic for donor egg and IVF - includes everything except for storage of any snowbabies is 22,000.00

My insurance only covers bloodwork and ultrasounds so it wouldn't cover the donors ultra sounds only ones for me. This price of 22,000 covers everthing though even payment to the donor. God I hope I don't have to go this route.... it is a huge reality that I will though. :(

LindseyE117 December 28th, 2011 08:09 AM

The shared donor sounds like a good idea, but what if no eggs or very little eggs are produced? I just hope everything works out for you. IVF is so stressful and so ungodly expensive. I wish with how much money they are charging that it would be a guaranteed thing each time.

I find the paying the donor though a little off, as my clinic let us donate all extra embryos and eggs with no payment to us. We were willing to do that at that time. :hug:

ccartanddesign December 28th, 2011 09:35 AM

We would also like to donate any extra embryos if we have any.

I read some of my clinic's literature yesterday. They use proven fertile people - usually someone with a child or someone who donates regularly.

*Manda* December 30th, 2011 06:30 AM

I think I'd want to pick somebody who donates regularly. They probably know how many eggs they produce approx each time. Gives you a better chance if you choose the shared cycle...

Which option are you leaning towards?

ccartanddesign December 30th, 2011 07:32 AM

I'm not leaning towards any option right now. We have only had one ivf cycle so far. I have another coming up at the end of this month with my eggs. So basically we only have one cycle of data and that's not enough to make the decision about donor eggs. Although I will say our ivf cycle was $11,700 plus meds and a shared donor cycle is $13,300 so its not that much more. Might be the way to go at some point.

Lash January 2nd, 2012 08:32 PM

We had to research it heavily, ended up doing OE IVF, and then deciding not to do donor eggs since I miscarry often.

Anyways I am in Dallas and cycled in Houston at HFI and adored their clinic. Donor egg cycles are typically a standard IVF cost, plus the fee for the other person, and their meds. It averages around double because in essence you are paying for your IVF and the egg production, monitoring and retrieval of another person, plus your monitoring ad transfer.

If you do a split donor, if you are 1st on the list for that person and wait for a 2nd couple to sign up, you are 1st donor choice and you get the first percentage. If it's an odd number, you get 8, Couple 2 gets 7. If it's under a certain number of eggs, like under 8, you get them all and the other couple doesn't pay anything. You are however then liable for ALL the money, all the $22,000 and any extra fees like all the monitoring and so on. It can hit near $30,000 for a single cycle. So split cycles don't always end up working, especially with a first time donor. However proven donors are more expensive and have higher fees.

I hope I can link to another forum, because this forum really educated me far beyond my wildest dreams about donor egg IVF. They also are a main board for high FSH IVF (which is how I found them, I am a high FSH girl and incredibly low AMh)

Which clinic are you using in Houston?

Looking To Be A Mom Thru DE

ccartanddesign January 3rd, 2012 08:20 AM

Lash thank you for your insight. I too am at Houston HFI.