JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Anticardiolipin antibodies and TTC (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2532400-anticardiolipin-antibodies-and-ttc.html)

mrs.lolo May 28th, 2012 05:39 PM

Anticardiolipin antibodies and TTC

I just have a couple of questions for anyone who has been told they have elevated levels of anticardiolipin antibodies.

A little background first... I have had two miscarriages, both were at 10 weeks and both babies stopped developing at around 8 weeks 5 days. The second one occured in March. Since then I have undergone some recurrent miscarriage tests and the results have shown that I have subclinical hypothyroidism and eleveled antibody levels. I was immediately put on a medication for the thyroid and as of right now I am not too concerned with that. I suspect that the losses were due to the blood disorder.

Now for my questions.

I was told to wait 12 weeks before I retest again to make sure the levels are still elevated before my doc will do anything as far as medication goes. Has anyone else been able to retest sooner than 12 weeks?

If I were to get pregnant before that 12 weeks is up, can I be tested while pregnant? And if so, can I begin medication like heparin while pregnant or does it have to be while TTC?

My doctor told me that taking a low dose aspirin as a precaution would do more harm than good right now because she cannot say for sure that my levels are elevated, has anyone else been told this? I have always thought that one low dose a day would be fine with TTC and while pregnant.

Any information or experiences would be so helpful, this is all so new to me and I am trying to figure all of this out! Thanks!

ambee August 23rd, 2012 10:20 AM

Re: Anticardiolipin antibodies and TTC

I'm a sometimes lurker on this board, but I thought I'd pop in to try and answer this. I had 3 losses before my DD was born, my 2nd loss being at 16 weeks. After that loss I was tested for everything under the sun and all came back normal. When I finally got pregnant with DD, I had the blood clotting panel done again, and came back with lupus anticoagulant syndrome, though my doctors decided to keep me on baby aspirin as I was borderline.

I didn't have to repeat the test in 12 weeks, though that might have been because I was already pregnant. Depending on severe your blood clotting disorder is, you shouldn't have to be on heparin before you get pregnant, starting as soon as you find out should be fine (unless you're very severe.)

My doctor did want me taking a baby aspirin every day for a few months before I got pregnant, as he said it couldn't hurt and might help. Once I found out I was pregnant I also started progesterone for the first 12 weeks (though I wasn't tested and don't think I was low, my RE took the same approach with that...can't hurt and might help.) I'm 100% sure my DD was born as a result of those two medications, and 100% sure that my 3 previous losses were because of the previously undiagnosed BCD.

I am currently trying for # 2 and have since experienced very long cycles and one early loss, though I attribute that more to hormonal imbalances from having the Mirena removed and less because of the BCD (as I've been back on baby aspirin for 6 months.)

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. Best of luck to you, I know how hard the waiting game can be.

mrs.lolo August 23rd, 2012 01:03 PM

Re: Anticardiolipin antibodies and TTC

Thank you for your response, I am glad to know that someone out there has had success.

Since I posted my question I got pregnant and lost a third baby. They retested my anitcardiolipin antibody levels and once again they were elevated so I was put on an injection of lovonox once daily. The loss came exactly at 8 weeks 5 days just like the previous two and so far no one has any answers for that. Chromosomes were tested and baby was totally healthy (and a girl) so now the only thing that my doctor can see is the BCD. She said sometimes treatment works and sometimes it just doesn't.

Today I was referred to a Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor who can hopefully give me some more answers and give us our healthy baby!