JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   How long did your SO abstain before giving his sample for IUI (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2625097-how-long-did-your-so-abstain-before-giving-his-sample-for-iui.html)

Lindz253 February 13th, 2013 10:10 AM

How long did your SO abstain before giving his sample for IUI

My RE's office said 2 to 5 days so Im just curious what you all did? A part of me only wants my DH to abstain for 2 days so the days before that he can clean out the system (haaa I didn't know any other way to put that) to have fresher guys in there?? I don't know... so I was just curious what others did.

Oh I should add that the reason we are doing it this way instead of a fresh sample is that the chances are high that DH will be out of town for work for my IUI so we have to freeze a sample.

If he is in town then we will just do fresh sample.

*Jillian* February 13th, 2013 10:37 AM

Re: How long did your SO abstain before giving his sample for IUI

First IUI he abstained for 5 days. Second IUI was 2 days.

We had better results with the 2 days. Better counts, morph, and I got pregnant that time.

*Whiskey* February 13th, 2013 10:43 AM

Only SA here but 3 days.

I think 2 days would be best. Good luck!!!

KMH February 13th, 2013 10:46 AM

When I went in for my ultrasounds to check follies, my RE would always tell me to do the trigger that night and come in for the IUI 36 hours later. His instructions would be "make love tonight, but not tomorrow night." So before the IUI he would have abstained for 36 hours.

We have no male factor...for some men waiting longer gives you higher counts.

RoMo February 13th, 2013 10:50 AM

We have significant male factor and they told us at least 4 days. My thought is it depends on the man's situation? DH's best sample was at 6 days, actually.

kayakr February 13th, 2013 10:55 AM

48-36 hours and my DH has abnormal Morphology.

*Jillian* February 13th, 2013 10:56 AM

They told us that he had borderline male factor. I believe his first sample was right on the borderline of low. My first IUI his counts had improved, but that was the time he abstained 5 days. Then the 2 days his counts were through the roof.

Looking back I think his original sample was just bad. Or those GNC vitamins really are miracle workers.

*JenJen* February 13th, 2013 11:12 AM

we're dealing with MFI so every time they check they want2-3 days

kayakr February 13th, 2013 11:52 AM

I agree GNC FertilityAid for Men are doing the trick for my DH too. His last SA was all normal and count was 395 million. Morphology 7% which is a lot better than the 2% before.

muffin February 13th, 2013 11:54 AM

When we froze, he abstained for 2.5 days. When we did IUI, he abstained for 5. We got better results with the 5 day abstinence personally, but it depends alot on the Dx. We've consistently had higher counts on SAs where there was a longer period of abstinence, so that's what we did for the IUI. (Not a whole lot higher, but we wanted to give it everything we've got!)

Lucy S. February 13th, 2013 09:59 PM

I normally waited 72 hours but last cycle I thought we might miss O so we actually only waited maybe 24. I thought I screwed everything up but got pg temporarily so I guess that worked for us. We do have MF.
I think you would be fine with 2 days if there are no MF issues.

Lindz253 February 14th, 2013 05:47 AM

Thank you so much for all your replies! I don't think we have any male factor issues. DH had an SA done a few months ago and the RE didn't mention any issues with it. He said if he had to give his SA a grade it would be a B minus...so whatever that means lol

Since I have read mixed reviews on how long to wait from your replies maybe we will abstain 3 which is right in the middle. I wish the RE would have just told me a certain amount of days instead of a window.

ChicaChels February 14th, 2013 08:42 AM

Sam only refrained for 30 hours, against my REs advisement. I wanted him cleaned out bc if my sickness it has been a couple weeks. His count was still really good(168mil) but with my daughters iui his count was 252mil and he abstained for 4 days.

onlybygrace February 15th, 2013 05:20 AM

We normally aim for 3 days.
GL!

Lindz253 February 15th, 2013 05:28 AM

Thanks!

If this cycle doesn't work out I am going to GNC to get those male vitamins you all mentioned!

kayakr February 15th, 2013 06:15 AM

Get them - they are good for him no matter what but specially for his swimmers.

Frozenoj February 15th, 2013 11:00 AM

We were told 3 days for our SA.

BabyBirdies February 15th, 2013 12:08 PM

For our SA (DH goes on Sunday), he was told AT LEAST two days but NO MORE than five. So - we're waiting a little over 2. Also because we were hoping to catch the eggie, which we at least covered O, if nothing else...

Onelove121 February 15th, 2013 03:08 PM

What is the name of the vitamins from GNC?:o

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Jillian* (Post 27089510)
They told us that he had borderline male factor. I believe his first sample was right on the borderline of low. My first IUI his counts had improved, but that was the time he abstained 5 days. Then the 2 days his counts were through the roof.

Looking back I think his original sample was just bad. Or those GNC vitamins really are miracle workers.

Also just wanted to say good luck!!! Fx for your BFP!!!!

swtneka February 15th, 2013 05:48 PM

With two days it was good results with 3 days his number was off d chain high but he was on Gnc performance and vitality