JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Femara VS Clomid (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2629599-femara-vs-clomid.html)

Raunchero February 26th, 2013 12:20 PM

Femara VS Clomid

So, feeling very...out... this cycle i am preparing for the next.

RECAP: Just finished 3rd cycle of 50mg clomid. Timed BD. 1st cycle BFP loss at 4wk4d. other ycles nada. My doc has said she thinks the clomid is giving me residual cysts (?).

PLAN NEXT CYCLE: she wants to bump me up to 100mg and trigger shot with either IUI or timed BD. with lots of monitoring of my follis.

So, the question i have for all of you...

All things being stated, would you either:

A) Go with her plan for a cycle and go from there?

B) Ask for Femara right now for my next cycle and ask for all other aspects of the plan to remain the same?

*Leah* February 26th, 2013 12:44 PM

Re: Femara VS Clomid

I would switch to Femara, trigger and IUI. Clomid can thin your lining and since you've been on it 3 months already, it probably is. And how is your CM? It tanks that too, but the IUI will bypass that. If you're going to do the trigger, might as well back it up with a better % by doing and IUI.

Has your DH had an S/A?

Best of luck on whatever you decide!

Raunchero February 26th, 2013 12:53 PM

DH has amazing swimmers! He was off the charts for everything. That's why we decided bd vs iui

Lucy S. February 26th, 2013 01:24 PM

Def try a mid dose Femara cycle/trigger/iui!!
Thats my vote!!

onlybygrace February 27th, 2013 08:21 AM

Since you have no MF issues, I'd suggest trying Femara to counter the side effects of Clomid.

Good luck!

Frozenoj February 28th, 2013 01:13 PM

Yeah I'm really liking Femara over Clomid. The side effects have basically disappeared. And with a coupon it's not any more expensive than Clomid.

JulieMc February 28th, 2013 03:04 PM

I would switch. No sense trying something at a higher dose that's giving you cysts at 50mg. That just to me seems like it would cause more problems and doesn't make sense, ya know?

My RE said if you ovulate at the lower dose, then the med is working and you don't need to increase it. If you got pregnant (and lost it) well then you obviously ovulated on it.

I prefer the Femara over Clomid...less severe side effects. And, strangely..it ended up being cheaper for me. 50mg Clomid was $15, where as 5mg of Femara came out to be just $7 because my insurance covered it (they did not cover Clomid). The only reason it was covered by insurance is because Femara is mostly used as a part of cancer treatment...so that's one fertility drug we can sneak past them!!

I would also personally skip IUI. From the research I've done, it doesn't really up your chances much at all if there are no male issues. It's still somewhere around a 25% chance each month. If your partner has good swimmers, your chances are just as good. :)

cspard2 March 2nd, 2013 12:38 PM

everything "still waiting said" if you don't do iui, then the clomid you've been on could have thinned ur lining too much and caused mucus to dry up. even thought you may be on femara plus anything else, its a risk of wasting money if the sperm don't get there or if they can't implant in thin lining.

my husband also has perfect swimmers, but thankful we decided to do iui because we got pregnant the first time. the sperm never would have made it otherwise because i had been on clomid the few cycles before and my lining was thinner than should have been. progesterone helps that if u did have a problems with that.

*Whiskey* March 2nd, 2013 01:41 PM

I'm on the Femara bandwagon. I'd say go for it!

Raunchero March 4th, 2013 11:54 AM

Thanks for all your input ladies... i am still unsure, i have called into the doc to report my ugly BFN, and i had also said when she calls i would like to talk about alternative options to my meds.

During my research in Femara, I have seen that there is a chance of birth defects caused from this pill... is anyone concerned about that? Or did i read incorrectly?

Lucy S. March 5th, 2013 12:10 AM

Femara leaves your body really quickly and everything I have read states it's safe as long as you are not pregnant.

Lindz253 March 5th, 2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raunchero (Post 27159858)
Thanks for all your input ladies... i am still unsure, i have called into the doc to report my ugly BFN, and i had also said when she calls i would like to talk about alternative options to my meds.

During my research in Femara, I have seen that there is a chance of birth defects caused from this pill... is anyone concerned about that? Or did i read incorrectly?

I got freaked out about that information too. I googled right after I got home from my very first re appt but I couldn't find much to support it was true. Like lucy said its only bad if you take it while you are pregnant. I'm pretty sure it leaves your body quicker than clomid does. Plus I just need to trust my RE. He has won multiple awards in my area and been voted best doc twice so I trust him :)

Did you ever decide which one to take? Wishing you the best luck!!

Lucy S. March 5th, 2013 07:18 PM

^ leaves much quicker than clomid!

*Whiskey* March 6th, 2013 06:11 AM

Yep, Femara's half life is very short. Good luck!!!