JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   What would you do about TTC in our situation? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2638610-what-would-you-do-about-ttc-our-situation.html)

Lash March 28th, 2013 10:17 AM

What would you do about TTC in our situation?

I'm going to post this in multiple places, both here and on some private boards. So if you see this multiple times, sorry! Just looking for some input. What would you do about TTC in our situation?

When would you start trying in general and how long would you wait before medical intervention? Would you even get your hormones retested or would you wait for that too? We can't do IVF financially so at what point would you move to injectables and IUI? Or injectables and time intercourse? When would you think about moving back to adoption again especially since that process can take so long already?

If this was your situation, what would you do?

I am assuming most people know our history but I will add the info that is most helpful

FSH as high as 33
AMH at .29
Antrals during IVF were 7-8
Multiple early losses
Removed septum
Endometriosis
Fibroids
Stillbirth 24 days ago

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

*JenJen* March 28th, 2013 10:21 AM

Re: What would you do about TTC in our situation?

Once your cycle returns, I think you'd have legit reasons to move on to an RE after 3 months of trying. I'd give it a few tries on your own, and then move on to them and get hormones rechecked just to see where you are, and move on to injects and IUI or TI.

I really hope it doesn't come to that. I'm hoping and praying you get a BFP that sticks by the end of summer.

KMH March 28th, 2013 11:16 AM

I am totally unqualified to offer advice, but I want to offer my support and positive thoughts for whatever you and Clint decide. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers daily, and I hope that whatever path you choose, it leads to another little Longhorn very soon :wub:

I don't want to threadjack, but I also want to quickly thank you for your blog. I comment, but then the comments disappear, so I don't know if you get them. Thank you for your willingness to share Ree with the world; my 2-year old saw her picture and said "Mommy, dat's a booteeful baby!" Thank you also for sharing your info on signs of cord compression...no doctor has ever mentioned that to me, but because now I know...I'm sharing it with everyone I can. Ree has already touched so many people, and her story is going to save lives.

Sorry, hijack over. Just wanted you to know I'm here. I'm reading. I'm remembering and celebrating Ree. And I think of you often :heart:

LindseyandJoeinAL March 28th, 2013 11:20 AM

I think I would skip the hormone check unless your insurance covers it. I had mine checked in January and the AMH test was almost $200. So now I know what my levels are....what does that matter? I'm still not pregnant.

I would pursue any and all avenues that your budget allows. If you can afford injectable IUIs, do them until your money runs out while you're waiting to adopt. Continue to foster. Seek adoption options. Don't give up! I told my husband that I can't let money be the reason we don't have another baby. We are smart, educated and resourceful people and there's no reason we can't find money to fund our efforts. I know at some point you have to stop spending money to try to have a baby, but I'm not there yet and I hope you're not either.

Good luck Lauren. You deserve your baby!!

**edited to add additional thoughts**
I can't imagine how badly your heart is aching after the loss of Ree, but I think *I* would begin TTC immediately. Having a new goal to focus on might take a little focus off your hurting heart.

kayakr March 28th, 2013 11:42 AM

Lauren - I don't' really know. This is what I do know - don't give up. You guys got pregnant naturally against all odds. I would probably wait it out for about 3 months and get your cycles back and heal from the birth of Rhiannon, then head to RE. Make sure DH is taking his vitamins so those guys stay nice and strong.

Once you've had one baby your body knows what to do and what it was meant to do. Your fertility should be boosted a little from your pregnancy and the birth of Rhiannon.

You can not give up though until it just doesn't make sense anymore - you'll know when that is and you're not there yet. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question.

Rhiannon lives on in all of us because you shared her with us!

Gretchen

L-SBB March 28th, 2013 11:57 AM

I feel completely unqualified to advise you too, but I would probably go aggressive - try for a few months and then move to RE & meds. Given how long adoption process takes I would probably start that in parallel too, assuming it's something you & Clint are emotionally ready to go through again.

I only just saw your blog, it's beautiful...I haven't had a chance to comment there but I wanted to let you know how amazing I think it is that you are willing to share your experience, share Ree with all of us. I think of you & Clint & Ree every day, and I hope that you don't hesitate to reach out here when you need support - there are so many of us who care deeply about how you're doing.

LucyAnna March 28th, 2013 01:39 PM

Sorry for all of your losses. If it were me...I would go to an RE now. Just given your medical history (even though I'm not educated in some of areas of your history) I would think any help would be beneficial. For me personally, I wouldn't do an RE unless we were all in....meaning I would at least do an iui if I'm gong to go through all the medicines and monitoring...financially in the long run, I feel it would be better to not have wondered if we wasted $ not doing iui part. Best of luck to you!!!!!

zonee@gmail.com March 28th, 2013 03:36 PM

I have irregular cycles and the ob i had didnt really do much for me,so after 2 failed rounds of clomid i moved to the re to see what my problem is. I had bloodwork last june (4 mos without a period) and then the re repeated it with an ultrasound. The re is more specialized and will take all of your history into account to see what tests if any would be useful. I actually had to repeat bloodwork and ultrasound bc when i thought i had my period it turned out i actually was in the middle of my cycle.

If you could get pregnant on your own, i would start there again. If not i would see an re and if needed i would start off with meds (clomid,femara) and go from there. The re will want to monitor you while obs tend to be more hands off from what i have experienced. The re will also set out a plan of attack as i call it to get you your bfp.

I am very sorry for you loss and i hope you can find peace and heal. I have only seen my re once, but she started off running tests to find answers. Good luck and wishing you and your family all the best.

*Leah* March 28th, 2013 03:48 PM

If it were me, as much as you have been through, I would start ttc in a couple months when your body has healed. Your body now knows what it's like to be pregnant, it wants to be pregnant again.

I go to acupuncture, and my acupuncturist has helped many couples get pregnant without IUI/IVF. I also think it's one of the reasons I got pg with IVF. If you could find a reasonable one in your area, I would start there. Not sure if you've tried acupuncture before. It is also very relaxing and I think you probably need that right now. It takes 3 months to get the full benefits from acupuncture, and at that time, I would go to the RE and talk about injectibles and/or IUI's.

Thank you so much for your blog. You are an amazing writer and a wonderful woman, and I know you are/were a spectacular mommy. You are truly special. Every post I read of yours is thoughtful, caring and truthful. Thank you for you. ((HUGS))

starlitnite611 March 28th, 2013 05:11 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss.

*JenJen* March 28th, 2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonee@gmail.com (Post 27239016)
I have irregular cycles and the ob i had didnt really do much for me,so after 2 failed rounds of clomid i moved to the re to see what my problem is. I had bloodwork last june (4 mos without a period) and then the re repeated it with an ultrasound. The re is more specialized and will take all of your history into account to see what tests if any would be useful. I actually had to repeat bloodwork and ultrasound bc when i thought i had my period it turned out i actually was in the middle of my cycle.

If you could get pregnant on your own, i would start there again. If not i would see an re and if needed i would start off with meds (clomid,femara) and go from there. The re will want to monitor you while obs tend to be more hands off from what i have experienced. The re will also set out a plan of attack as i call it to get you your bfp.

I am very sorry for you loss and i hope you can find peace and heal. I have only seen my re once, but she started off running tests to find answers. Good luck and wishing you and your family all the best.

Lauren is very well experienced in the difference between and OB and RE. They've been trying for years, including an IVF cycle, which she put in her first post. She was asking for input based on their specific situation and the history given in that post, so not just starting from scratch.

Also, there are reasons why clomid and femara are not listed as options in her first post- they are contraindicated for people dealing with DOR and POF, as the false hormones can really do a number on the body.

smsturner March 28th, 2013 07:47 PM

Hi Lauren.
First, I've wanted to tell you this for a bit now, and I haven't found the time or place:
I've been reading your blog and have been so touched by your and your husband's posts. Even though we've never talked much, I think about Rhiannon every day. I am worried to bring her up to you, and express feelings about your loss, not because I'm scared, but because I don't know how I would survive what you have, and I don't want to say the wrong thing and make your pain worse. She was a beautiful girl. We are lucky you shared her with us, and the world is better because she was in it. And you and your hubby are amazing people to survive, be strong and to share what you have shared with everyone.

I am in the crowd of totally unqualified, but what I would do is give it a couple months to heal. I have no idea what the time to heal from a full term baby would be. But I would get right back to it too. Depending on insurance and finances, I would want to get right back to the RE and at least talk, and get whatever tests you would be able to afford. See what they have to say. I would not back off.

I def agree with whoever above said that only you two will know when the time is right to call it quits. Don't let anyone discourage you. :) You are so strong!

Lucy S. March 28th, 2013 08:09 PM

Another one not qualified but I assume you know this and still want our advice ;)

So my head would say, wait a few months and prep your body as much as you can. Loved the idea of acupuncture. Fertility diet and supplements for you and DH. Do as much as you can to heal your body and get it back to TTC condition. Try to suppress any prolactin that may have hung around and may cause you to be annovulatory. I am unsure how quickly after birth we are "allowed" to TTC but I am guess you have to wait 6 weeks and then when your cycle returns? I worry about m/c if you conceive too soon but maybe thats an uneducated fear. I would TTC for a few cycles like suggested and temp to see what my body was doing... After two or three cycles I would go to an RE and be as aggressive as you can get financially. Inj and IUI if you can.

My heart? I would probably curl up into a ball and not survive near as well as you (and I am assuming your profession has help you at least a little?) and I can't even begin to imagine how hard that has been.
*I* would probably want to head back to the RE ASAP and start TTC ASAP because I know how I am and logic is not my strong suit. I would also start the foster adopt program again (I completed it once before while TTC#2).

Whatever you decide I am praying for you and thinking about you so often.
This very subject has crossed my mind so many times. I have had these ideas of fundraising for IF treatments for you... I am not sure how you would take that but it has crossed my mind several times.

smsturner March 28th, 2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy S. (Post 27239736)
This very subject has crossed my mind so many times. I have had these ideas of fundraising for IF treatments for you... I am not sure how you would take that but it has crossed my mind several times.

Oh, if this comes about, I would be thrilled to help :)

*Leah* March 28th, 2013 08:17 PM

I agree Melissa, Lauren, your blog is very informative and I'm going to be passing the cord compression information on as well.

Lash March 28th, 2013 08:18 PM

Getting the prolactin down is going to be a *******. I've always had higher prolactin naturally and I have galactorrhea where I naturally leak even when not pregnant so getting my milk to dry up is a pain and I have no idea when it will stop. That is essentially what keeps me from ovulating again I assume at this point.

Acupuncture- never tried it, and need to start that right now. That's a good one.

We are so wiped financially from IVF and then adoption and then the funeral costs which are an entire IVF cycle ($10,000 for the funeral/burial plot/headstone etc). So all of that puts us in a place where we have to go as low cost as possible which SUCCKKKSSSS since having DOR means we need to move faster and not wait around and I'm going to have to work on resentment about that.

I can only imagine that I was being prepared for this somehow over the last few years. I specialized in PTSD with soldiers for years, and grief and dying and all of that, so I guess it was meant to help me know how to start walking through it when it happened to us. We were in a therapists office within 7 days. We go twice a week right now and will for sure keep going. That's yet another cost that I can't reduce and we have to absolutely do in order to be healthy.

I have far more information about cord compression and stillbirth, I just haven't put it all together in a short enough blog post to make it readable

swtneka March 29th, 2013 04:24 AM

I'm so unsure of what I'd do in your situation. Knowing your history I would def have going to re in my back mind. But also knowing that you did get pregnant ON YOUR OWN NONE OF THE LESS I would def try on your own for at least 3 months but make an appt for your re just encase. Also that Accupuncture is a wonderful idea. I saw a + hpt after the first month on it in 3 years (even though it was a chemical) Gl with whatever u decide we'll be here for support along the way.

MandyEllen March 29th, 2013 05:20 AM

Hi Lauren! God Bless Baby Rhiannon! I play the Fleetwood Mac song "Rhiannon" in my car all the time and think of you and your little girl.

I think that if I were in your shoes, I would be falling apart right now...but I would need a goal to keep me moving forward. I'm with the other ladies who said try a little while on your own and then I'd move onto the RE with whatever you can afford. I think that now that your body knows pregnancy, it might happen again for you. As someone with DOR too, I know the "rushed" feeling you have.

I'm praying for you. Stay strong!

fromustobaby March 29th, 2013 07:35 PM

Lauren-
I have followed your blog for a really long time - since before you did IVF, I write on it now to let you know that I'm reading, thank you for allowing me to do that...

I cant put myself in your place, your strength is amazing and I'm honored that you have shared so much of Rhiannon and August and yourselves with us and how much you know about the reproductive medical field in general probably puts everyone else to shame...but, if I were in a similar situation...

I would go all in as soon as possible...probably injectables as soon as a dr would give an ok for it...I got Maiya with Follistim, no doubt that she wouldnt be here without it...of the 4 triggerable eggs, she was my one good one...

A few questions:
1. With doing IVF, what was the average FSH/AMH levels you had...I know AMH is better to judge DOR, but how much did it vary?

2. I'm a bit fuzzy on POF, does it basically mean that you have few good eggs - but not many...do they have a reason why you have it - i.e. is there anything that you can take to help your numbers there?

3. I know you did an injectables cycle for IVF and did get a few growing good eggs out of it...what would happen if you followed the same protocol and did IUI instead? I mean, if you can get 5-6 eggs, would they let you trigger based on the fact that you have POF and most likely not very many of them are good eggs? I know that one of the ladies in TTCAfterLoss that was in her 40s and got pregnant and had EIGHT "triggerable" eggs with Follistim, and got pregnant with a singleton doing IUI (for me, they would have let me trigger and do an IUI with up to 5 eggs)...

4.Also, you mentioned that your prolactin levels were high? You might have seen this study (I ran across it because I was curious why so many ladies have so much trouble getting pregnant with their first, and then it seems to get a bit easier with a second...), it was talking about a group of women who had a full term delivery compared to a control group (women who didnt get pregnant) and comparing their hormones - FSH and LH didnt change, but there was a significant decrease in prolactin for the women who had gone full term: Long-term effect of a first pregnancy on the se... [N Engl J Med. 1987] - PubMed - NCBI
Quote:

We observed no significant change in basal levels of serum LH or FSH or in the levels stimulated by gonadotropin-releasing hormone in any group. A significant decrease was seen, however, in basal and perphenazine-stimulated levels of prolactin after pregnancy in both the younger and older first-pregnancy groups but not in the controls.
Hope that wasnt too many questions, and I'm sorry for any ignorance with them...I wish that through sheer force of will we could all get you over that rainbow as soon as possible - you certainly deserve it! <3

PS-If you can bind yourself tightly, it should help getting the milk to stop, I'm sure that is not the most pleasant reminder right now on top of everything else that you have been through...