JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   TTCMA and diet (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2641686-ttcma-and-diet.html)

Lucy S. April 8th, 2013 04:43 PM

TTCMA and diet

So i was searching around and saw a weight chart on an IVF site. Got me thinking I need to lose the 5 pounds (of the 10) I gained during the m/c thing and flu (basically didn't workout for 6 weeks).
I lost 100 pounds 6.5 years ago and so it's important to me. I have kept it off mainly because of exercise. but in the 2ww my anxiety gets to me and I workout A LOT less. Then when I was pg with the m/c I didn't work out at all. Then the day after I started m/c I caught the flu and couldn't work out for 3 weeks. I started to panic that I was going to gain everything back (because I know if I lose the exercise habit I will). Thankfully thats not the case but exercise has only slowly taken 5 of the 10 pounds and I need to diet now.

How aggressive can I be? Obviously not 1,000 calories a day but like Weight Watchers ok?
I wonder if the 10 pounds made a difference on the number of follicles I had too? i know when I was heavier I was annovulatory where as now, 10 years older I seem to be the opposite.
I need to lose at least these 5 pounds. Would ideally love to lose 10-15 pounds but I like food. A lot. bahahaha!

So thoughts? Opinions? Warnings? Advice?
:giraffe:

MandyEllen April 9th, 2013 10:00 AM

Re: TTCMA and diet

UGH! I just posted something about weight gain too! Guess I should have read down a few posts!

I'm 20 pounds heavier than I was when I started TTCMA. None of my clothes fit. I don't know what diets are okay for your situation. My doctor wants me to eat healthy. I think the hard part is that when I am on the meds & the TWW, she doesn't want me to do anything but walk. I am used to a lot harder workouts than walking.

Congrats on your huge weight loss! That's something to be proud of! I believe you posted before that you are vegan, right? My best friend is vegan and she has some delicious recipes! Other than using a lot of sugar in vegan desserts...I'm not sure that I can tell you to eat healthier!!!

*Leah* April 9th, 2013 10:27 AM

I lost 35 lbs years ago, and then gained it all back TTC. I've gained 40lbs (10 lbs a year!) from the stress of it all, I swear! I recently lost 15 before IVF...If I wasn't pg, I was going to be skinny was my new moto!

I think eating healthy, eating lots of veggies and fruit, to fill you up w/less calories and portion control (IE weight watchers) is a great way to go. I know they say don't diet when TTC, but honestly, I felt getting the weight off would help IVF go better than if I didn't try to lose some weight.

I am now the lowest weight I've been in 5 years...but I'm still 30lbs away from my ideal weight. I'm just trying to stay away from soda, diet soda and fake sugars, and fried foods.

You have to LIVE and feel good about yourself, so if dieting a little will do that for you, I'd say go for it. I put off losing weight for a long time because they always say it is bad to do when TTC, but I wish I hadn't waited because I didn't get pg and now I'd be even smaller and at a more healthy weight to hopefully start another pregnancy.

swtneka April 9th, 2013 10:29 AM

I have no advice since I love to eat as well. I had lost 60lbs over an year ago and when I started having symptoms of my lung disease I stopped working out and gained it all back. I need to be active to maintain a certain weight and still enjoy my faves carbs. The meds they had me on didn't help especially the steroids made me gain weight fast. I put on the extra weight from all the fertility meds I was on and when I decided to loose that weight I got sick and bam now I am stuck.

Luvgreen19 April 9th, 2013 10:32 AM

As long as you eating healthfully it's ok to watch your calories. It isn't ok to only eat 1000 calories a day and have it all be chips and soda, you know :)

When I was TTC my DS (and losing weight) I was eating on average 1200-1400 calories a day, but it was all (ok mostly :)) nutritious foods and was working out. As long as you are nourishing your body and eating when you feel hungry it's all good.

PS- I've since gained most of my weight back since having my DS, so I am really preaching to myself here haha!

Lucy S. April 9th, 2013 12:53 PM

Thanks ladies- food for thought :giggle:

I gained a lot the last 2 times I TTCMA so I knew it could happen. I think I gained 40 :eek: the last time! So I guess 10 is progress!

I think I am going to try WW or something similar. I feel like crap about myself in general. I haven't waxed my eye brows in months and I am starting to look like chewbacca. I am so pale and just blah. I don't care about looking pretty! I just wanna be PG **** it!

onlybygrace April 9th, 2013 01:26 PM

I'm reading this eating a white chocolate cheesecake......URGH!!!!

Raunchero April 9th, 2013 02:04 PM

GLAD i am not the only one that woke up this morning thinking "the dryer must have shrunk all my clothes" lol

I am totally motivated to eat healthy again... Here is a link my friend shared with me this morning. Its has all the info for WW (but its free :) )

How to get Weight Watchers for free. Really!

hope this helps!

Lucy S. April 9th, 2013 02:17 PM

Anyone interested if I start an accountability thread?
No pressure to do everything! Just a little a day? Like add more water or walked?

Raunchero April 9th, 2013 02:25 PM

im in!

*JenJen* April 9th, 2013 03:19 PM

I'm in. Would we prefer a subforum? I can request one if we would like.

cutenurse24 April 9th, 2013 03:33 PM

I'm in too

*Whiskey* April 9th, 2013 04:07 PM

I'm in too. I gained 45lbs after I lost my little girl. I lost 30lbs last year, but have gained it back since I started the meds again.

muffin April 9th, 2013 04:11 PM

Count me in!

My RE told me that the only time I need to cut down on my exercise is when I'm actively cycling for IVF, or if I start showing signs of possible OHSS otherwise. And my workouts are pretty strenuous! (Starting workup for a 160km, 4 day ruck march soon, just to give you an idea.) So I'm not too worried about cutting back obviously! I eat alot of junk though. I love food! I have a bit to lose, so I'm hoping to start seeing a nutritionist again soon. Depends on whether insurance approves it though (still waiting to hear). I had success with that a few years ago, so I'm hoping to do that again.

Lash April 9th, 2013 05:08 PM

I also know that some of us follow specific diets for TTC, so that would be a good forum to discuss some of that!

Luvgreen19 April 9th, 2013 05:23 PM

I would be in for sure. :)

kayakr April 9th, 2013 05:25 PM

I am in. We support each other with TTCMA I think supporting each other with weight loss is a good idea. We can also have our own group on myfitnesspal.com or one of those apps on our phone. It would be private. there is also loseit.com

Raunchero April 9th, 2013 06:25 PM

I did biggest loser with all my bridesmaids when I got married... It was so much fun cheering each other on! And I lost 30 pounds!

Lucy S. April 9th, 2013 10:15 PM

A subforum would be great as long as I don't end up all alone! LOL!

*Whiskey* April 10th, 2013 04:44 PM

It'll be you, me, and the voices in our heads :D