JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   How many IUIs before BFP (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2674348-how-many-iuis-before-bfp.html)

jes81878 August 23rd, 2013 08:33 AM

How many IUIs before BFP

I'm just curious how many IUIs it usually takes to get a BFP, or did you give up and try something else?I'm asking this question for a friend who is waiting to see if her 2nd IUI worked. She is feeling very discouraged and has lots of questions.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Luvgreen19 August 23rd, 2013 08:36 AM

Re: How many IUDs before BFP

I'm thinking you mean IUI? :)
If so, I was lucky and have gotten pregnant on the first try both times I have had one. I think 3-4 is the average though...and of course for some women they just don't have any luck and need to move onto IVF.

*JenJen* August 23rd, 2013 09:23 AM

Re: How many IUDs before BFP

I got pregnant on every IUI I had, just miscarried all of those pregnancies or had them end in chemicals.
Most doctors recommend trying 3 IUI's at least before moving on to IVF, but it's a personal choice. It also changes things if they are dealing just MFI, just female factor, both, etc.

jes81878 August 23rd, 2013 09:29 AM

Re: How many IUIs before BFP

Thanks for your quick response and correcting me,lol. It's been a long morning, and I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Her doctor is wanting her to try at least 3 too, but the BFNs are hard.

mrs.ceebee.0915 August 23rd, 2013 09:46 AM

I understand how your friend feels. I just talked to my doctor yesterday about how many IUI's we should try before moving on and her recommendation was to try 3-4 for our specific situation, but having AF show up again yesterday just gets me down to keep trying IUI's sometimes. We are pushing forward and trying another IUI in 2 weeks and adding in Clomid, so perhaps your friend can ask her doctor what else she can try with the IUI to give her a better chance? It is hard to get the BFN's but I hope her next IUI gives her the BFP she is looking for! Good luck to her with whatever she chooses to do!

KMH August 23rd, 2013 10:48 AM

We did 3 unmedicated IUIs and 3 medicated IUIs over the course of a year; all were unsuccessful. We could have done more with different meds but decided to move on to IVF.

jes81878 August 23rd, 2013 07:01 PM

Thanks for sharing everyone.

*Leah* August 23rd, 2013 07:21 PM

My Dr suggested 6 IUIs before moving on to IVF.We never got pg with them and moved on after 5 medicated IUIs w clomid or femara.

A friend from hs had luck on her 5th injectible cycle.

*Melissa* August 23rd, 2013 08:38 PM

4 IUI's with Clomid, 2 IUI's with injectible meds. The 2nd injectible cycle worked for my first baby. So.... In total, 6 IUIs

jes81878 August 24th, 2013 09:47 AM

Thanks guys. I have no experience with IUIs. We went straight into IVF.