JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Ganirelix (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2682822-ganirelix.html)

JennyLee October 1st, 2013 03:15 PM

Ganirelix

So, I'm hearing that the pre-filled syringe of Ganirelix has a stupid dull needle on it (WHY would they do that?!), and is very painful. I'm pretty much terrified of it. Is there any reason I can't transfer it into a different syringe, or even mix it in with my Menopur? I'm going to ask at my appt tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone had done this or had any opinions. I won't have to take it until at least tomorrow evening, but I've been worrying about it all day! TIA for any advice!

Raunchero October 1st, 2013 03:27 PM

No advice! Hoping you fin a solution! Gl

Lash October 1st, 2013 04:40 PM

Re: Ganirelix

If I remember correctly we were not allowed to mix it in, but we did mix in our Follistim and Menopur. I don't fully remember why it had to stay a separate needle

I definitely don't remember it hurting more, but at that point you are usually so used to needles that it's not a big deal to add another. It's the progesterone that makes you want to kick the wall

ttb1105 October 1st, 2013 06:30 PM

It has been a few years since I have used any sort of fertility meds, but I don't remember ganirelix burning or having a dull needle. Maybe they've changed it? I did develop an allergy to it after a year or so. I had to apply Benadryl cream to the area I was to administer the shot 20 minutes before I injected. Good luck!

LindseyandJoeinAL October 2nd, 2013 07:17 AM

I just finished an IVF cycle using Ganirelix and I don't think it felt any different than my follistim shots. This whole shot thing is mind over matter. Once you conquer your fear of shots, you'll be fine. I've done so many that I've said if I had to take a shot every day for the rest of my life I would be ok. I guess that's a sad realization to come to.

I'm sorry you're so afraid of the shots. Think of the wonderful reward at the end of all this!

JennyLee October 2nd, 2013 07:53 AM

Thanks for the responses. It's good to hear that it wasn't bad for everyone. I tend to focus on the bad experiences, unfortunately. I will be starting this tonight, so we'll see. Up to 3 shots at once - Yay.

MandyEllen October 2nd, 2013 10:38 AM

Hope your shot of Ganerelix was okay. I didn't notice a difference between it and the Follistim.
I hated needles before TTCMA, now I can watch them do the blood draw and not even flinch!
Good luck with your cycle!

*Leah* October 2nd, 2013 12:33 PM

I don't think you can mix it with anything else. I do agree it is a little tiny bit more painful than the menopur shots, but it's got nothing on the Lovenox shots, those things are the DEVIL!

((HUGS)) you can do it !!

~~MeeMee~~ October 2nd, 2013 01:40 PM

I hope the Ganerelix was easier than you thought

JennyLee October 2nd, 2013 03:03 PM

Yeah, they told me I couldn't mix anything, not even the Follistim and Menopur. So, 3 shots it is for me tonight. I have found some people online saying the ganirelix was their easiest shot, so hopefully my experience is like that.

Lucy S. October 2nd, 2013 03:39 PM

Ya i found it super easy and loved that it was premixed and good to go!
hated the follistim pen and the menopur stung IMO. But honestly the ganirelix was easy peasy :)
Good luck!!

JennyLee October 2nd, 2013 07:37 PM

It was the most painful one I've done, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared. Definitely quick and easy with the prefilled syringe. Thanks for the encouragement ladies!