JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Crinone 8% (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2687636-crinone-8-a.html)

rawritsmnm October 22nd, 2013 06:30 PM

Crinone 8%

Hi everyone!
So end of last year I found out that I was pregnant and in Feb I had a miscarriage. Since then, me and my husband has been trying with no luck (It breaks my heart that women who don't even want kids and neglects their kids can pop babies out like it's nothing and women who actually wants kids have so much have so much trouble) and it's gotten to the point where if I am late, I don't even waste my time taking a test cause I know what the outcome will be! :cry:
So today I went to the doctor and she wants to put me on a medicine called Crinone 8%...I've tried looking up reviews on it but ALL i've found it how yucky the discharge is...lol in my head i'm like "I WANT TO READ SOME SUCCESS STORIES!!!" lol I can deal with the yuckiness! Me and my husband just want a precious baby to love on and care for!
any success stories here? I already know it's gonna be yucky

rawritsmnm October 22nd, 2013 06:44 PM

Re: Crinone 8%

The doctor also gave me a therapy schedule
"Clomiphene citrate 50 mg or 100 mg on days 3-7 after your period starts
Estradiol 3 mg orally twice a day from day 8 to the morning of day 12
Crinone daily starting on day 17. If pregnany occurs, continue for additional 10 weeks"
I told her that was a lot of work haha

Lash October 22nd, 2013 07:19 PM

It's pretty basic, a pill, another pill and then the crinone gel. It's just progesterone, the discharge isn't that bad. The shots can be much worse when it comes to amount of work.

Clomid is only a few days, estrogen is the same

Why is she prescribing estrogen? What did your bloodwork say?

I've been at this 6 years and it doesn't get easier watching people have kids that shouldn't have them.

Crinone isn't a big deal, better than compounded progesterone IMO

Its definitely not much work when you are used to it, it gets more intense the more intervention you need!

Lash October 22nd, 2013 07:25 PM

Why is she even prescribing all of this? You haven't been trying very long yet to even know if you need meda

*JenJen* October 22nd, 2013 07:31 PM

Those meds are pretty easy and low key. Hopefully you will have some luck. I've done 6 cycles of clomid, 1 of femara, 3 ds Iui cycles, and numerous natural cycles in the last 6 years of ttc and we are moving on to ivf next so I can't tell you those meds worked for me.

kayakr October 23rd, 2013 06:28 AM

Crinone is very expensive. Insurance usually doesn't pay for it until a BFP. The vaginal pills are much more reasonable in cost when paying out of pocket. You may want to check with your insurance before you go with the Crinon.

I used Crinon with my IVF cycle. I used it twice a day plus progesterone in Oil. It is super easy to use. After 4/5 days of it there was a little weird discharge - sorry TMI but here it goes. It was almost like old wadded up toilet paper the size of a quarter or so that came out. It did have a little red tint to it as well. It was shorta nasty but wasn't bad. The pill suppositories are more gooey and leaky and you may need a panty liner and it leaks out daily. The Cronin is a gell and sticks to the sides of your girl parts for the best absorption.

rawritsmnm October 23rd, 2013 11:31 AM

they didn't do any blood work
but thanks for th info!

kayakr October 23rd, 2013 11:36 AM

Weird no blood work. Is this your OB or primary care? You better ask for the progesterone suppositories then. Cronin will be hundreds of dollars. I think mine was $500.00 until I received my BFP then it was $10.00

Lash October 23rd, 2013 12:12 PM

They should never be prescribing estrogen without prior bloodwork

rawritsmnm October 23rd, 2013 03:30 PM

Well i'm just trusting that they know what they are doing since they are the doctors and I have been trying for a little over a year with 1 failed pregnancy, and they said a year with no luck is when they start medications. but I called my insurance and sure enough they didn't cover it, so I had to call my doctor back and they told me they was going to call in a generic brand and my sister in law told me it will prob be Prochieve that they call in...does anyone know anything about this medicine?

Lash October 23rd, 2013 03:50 PM

You are trusting them to give you hormonal meds without testing your hormones?

Prochieve is just another brand name version of the same thing.

Honestly, I would at least be asking for monitoring

*JenJen* October 23rd, 2013 03:56 PM

I would not take meds without bloodwork. Has your partner had an SA? How old are you? How long has it been since you were on birth control? Have you done any charting?

rawritsmnm October 23rd, 2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *JenJen* (Post 27755270)
I would not take meds without bloodwork. Has your partner had an SA? How old are you? How long has it been since you were on birth control? Have you done any charting?

I'll call back tomorrow and ask. But my doctor wants to see if the meds work before my husband has a SA. I'm 23 and he is 24. I've never been on birth control, and I don't do any charting

Lash October 23rd, 2013 05:05 PM

How will they have any idea if you are ovulating if they aren't monitoring you?

rawritsmnm October 23rd, 2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lash (Post 27755402)
How will they have any idea if you are ovulating if they aren't monitoring you?

cause they wanted me to buy a Ovulation kit so I could check
BUT I am calling the office as soon as they open in the morning to check about a blood test

Lash October 23rd, 2013 06:19 PM

I would encourage you to read the board, search about day 3 tests and monitoring cycles. To be frank, it's not normal to prescribe estrogen with no tests and a little scary

Ovulation kits are off all the time and have tons of user error

And plenty of people get an lh surge on clomid but never release an egg

What if you start progesterone and you are a late ovulator?

kayakr October 24th, 2013 05:59 AM

I am sorry - we are not trying to attack you or make you doubt your dr but we've been through a lot and this Dr. is jumping steps and going right to meds that could hurt you. I am guessing you are going to an OB and an OB doesn't specialize in getting you pregnant. Most of us have all been on those meds but it wasn't without monitoring or at very minimual CD3 bloodwork to see what our FSH and AMH hormones level are. SA is usually one of the first thing Dr do!

With you age it's totally possible that your CD3 bloodwork is fine but your DH SA is bad. Or your tubes are completely blocked and your not ovulating at all.

JennyLee October 24th, 2013 04:07 PM

Sorry hun, but it really does sound like you should find a new doctor...

rawritsmnm October 24th, 2013 08:11 PM

I'm going to a OBGYN, the same one my sister in law does. And I called this morning and they said with certain dosages they don't need blood work so I looked at the bottle and it was only 1 mg so its not like its a extremely high dosage.
Not trying to be rude but I posted this for successful stories, not a lecture on mine and my husbands visit to the OBGYN and whatnot. I was so excited about my visit and felt like 2014 was gonna be our year for a baby, but now it just seems like mission impossible. Sorry for the vent. But if its that important I will request a blood test.

Lash October 24th, 2013 08:49 PM

You've asked on a board full of women who all are currently attempting to conceive, some of us going on 5-6 years now, if not longer. We are using medical interventions to try to have a baby. There are some that are here, trying for their second or third children, and will still require IVF, Embryo or Egg Donation, Sperm Donation and so on.

You're asking for success stories from women who would kill for success, and if it was simply crinone that could give it, we'd be buying it in buckets.

OB's typically are not very well versed in fertility issues at all and almost every woman here has found that out the hard way. They stayed with an OB who did the same thing you are describing, giving hormonal medications without doing any investigation at all. It's like giving insulin without testing blood sugar levels. It just doesn't make any sense.

Sure, you can come ask for success. But you're asking a group that would love to give you those stories, but possibly can't. I remember when 2009 was our year. And 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013 was certainly supposed to be our year, and then she died in labor. Now Aug 2014 is the closest we can come to hoping that it's finally our time. We all get mission impossible.

You want to get pregnant and you are getting information from a group of very versed and researched women. If you don't want that advice, that's ok, but know that you're going to get the same answer each time you post about what to do next. We're going to say Day 3 bloodwork, HSG, at least some kind of exam of some kind before you start taking meds.

Just think before you post. We're NOT attacking you. We're giving you the very info that helps get you pregnant faster. We're telling you what you need to know to find the right doctor. But you don't have to take it. Ask yourself why any group of women would just randomly attack you! Nobody is lecturing you, you asked for advice and so you got it. People are trying to help you.