JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Super nervous to give myself the HCG trigger shot! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2690522-super-nervous-to-give-myself-hcg-trigger-shot.html)

infertilitywhyme November 6th, 2013 05:41 AM

Super nervous to give myself the HCG trigger shot!

So tonight is the big night! I'm supposed to administer my HCG trigger shot tonight at 10:00 pm and I'll have my very first IUI Friday morning. My husband said there was NO WAY he could administer it for me. I had an appointment with my RE yesterday and after I met with a nurse who showed me how to administer the shot. She said since I would be doing it myself it needed to be in my thigh and she recommended icing it for about 10 minutes prior. She said to use the needle like a dart and it needs to go in almost all the way, then release the meds quickly and pull out quickly. Stupidly, I watched a few youtube videos last night to help ease my mind....and they made me feel worse.

Bottom line is I know I'll be able to do it, because I keep focusing on the end result....but I'm VERY NERVOUS right now and have a feeling I'll be super anxious all day until it's over.

Any advice/tips are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!

kayakr November 6th, 2013 06:01 AM

Re: Super nervous to give myself the HCG trigger shot!

I wish I could be more supportive for you with administering a shot to yourself. Sadly, I am the biggest wimp ever and I'd run from myself as I try to give it to myself. Kinda like a dog chasing his tale....

I am sure you can do it though - Is there a friend or parent that can give it to you if you think you can't?

infertilitywhyme November 6th, 2013 06:30 AM

LOL!

I do have a girlfriend that said she would give it to me if I wanted, but the only thing is it has to be done at 10:00 pm, so I don't want to have to disrupt her evening or mine.....it will be much "easier" if I can just do it myself.

mama2JC&L November 6th, 2013 06:46 AM

I am scared to death of needles. I work in a hospital as an RN and stick people everyday, but refuse a flu shot for myself because I can't handle it.

With that being said, the trigger shot isn't that bad. I've done them to myself many times now. the nurse at my office always told me to put it in my stomach. 1 in below my bellybutton and just slightly off to the left or right. It doesn't really hurt that bad. The thigh probably won't hurt much either. You can do this! Its for the best cause ever.

Now can someone remind me of all of this in a few Weeks when I an freaking out over all the ivf meds I have to do???? :)

KMH November 6th, 2013 06:52 AM

You can do it :greencheer: I would always "reward" myself after a shot with a little snack, bite of chocolate, save a TV show I wanted to watch until after my shot, etc. Good luck!

*JenJen* November 6th, 2013 06:54 AM

I've done mine and had a friend do mine. It really wasn't too bad. The first time it actually bounced off my butt because well...we were going to slow. lol!

So go fast, take a deep breath right before you do it, and get up and walk around after you lay there for a minute. You want to make sure the medication moves through your system to avoid a sore spot the next day.

Good luck!

infertilitywhyme November 6th, 2013 06:59 AM

Thanks for all of the advice ladies.....this makes me feel a little more at ease!!

CarolinaLife November 6th, 2013 07:15 AM

Good luck! :cheer:

Lucy S. November 6th, 2013 12:54 PM

I do shots nightly and am actually stressing because soon I won't be able to do them myself LOL! I like control :D

Honestly try and relax. You get used to it if you do it often enough and I think leading up to it is worse than actually doing it! When I started stressing about it I thought of my friend who has Type 1 diabetes and has administrated his own shots since he was 8yo!

LucyAnna November 6th, 2013 04:02 PM

ive always done mine, but i did them in the belly (lots of cushion there)...thigh sounds painful! good luck!

*Leah* November 6th, 2013 05:22 PM

You can do it!!! I did mine last tues at 1145pm!! i got to do it in the stomach...but have done it in the butt for my IUIs. Don't hesitate. aim and shoot. Good luck!!

MandyEllen November 7th, 2013 05:00 AM

How did you do?
I remember the first time I had to give myself a shot, I put my favorite tv show on and then was psyching myself up. But I kept saying "I'll do it at the next commercial" until I finally just did it.
Hope you got it done okay!!!!

infertilitywhyme November 7th, 2013 07:36 AM

Well the HCG trigger shot has to be given intramuscularly, so if you're giving it to yourself that means in the thigh if you have someone else give it it means in the butt.

It wasn't TERRIBLE, but it definitely wasn't a pleasant experience. I iced my leg for a few minutes while I mixed up the medication then just did it! Sometimes after giving blood or getting a shot I'll feel like I'm about to pass out, and it happened last night....which sucked, but I just laid on the kitchen floor after giving myself the shot for a bit to regroup then I was fine. I will say, once I had the needle in I had a tough time squeezing the medication out, the needle kept trying to push out. My leg was a bit sore the next morning, probably b/c I jabbed a 1.5 inch needle into my muscle and injected 2ML's of medication last night....I took some advil and hopefully it'll help!

Lash November 7th, 2013 08:02 AM

Really? Mine has never been intramuscular, always a tiny needle in the stomach. Only progesterone has ever been intramuscular

And you can learn to do IM shots in the backside, plenty of us do. I prefer it over the leg

Google says that the majority of the time it's not IM and it is usually only given that way in a few instances

*JenJen* November 7th, 2013 08:07 AM

I always have done my trigger shots in the butt, even by myself, but thats just what my RE's have prescribed. Not that hard. I've never had to fight the needle coming out either, if done properly it's a very easy shot.

KMH November 7th, 2013 08:10 AM

I'm glad you survived! Hopefully this cycle will be a success so you don't have to do it again :fingerscrossed:

We have had other girls on the board whose docs have wanted the HCG done IM...usually for women that are more on the fluffy side.

And ditto Lash...you can do your own shots in the butt. It is tricky but doable.

infertilitywhyme November 7th, 2013 08:10 AM

Maybe there are different brands/types of the medication, but mine had to be done IM. I might look into that for next time, if there is a next time....but the thigh wasn't so bad.

KMH November 7th, 2013 08:13 AM

Good luck with your IUI :greencheer:

Lash November 7th, 2013 08:14 AM

Also all IM ones I always do heat and not ice. It relaxes the muscle

*Leah* November 7th, 2013 08:51 AM

I agree with Lash, heat is better in the muscle.

I agree with Melissa too! I do all my own PIO shots in the butt, so it's doable!

I actually have done the exact same trigger shot medication in my butt and the next time in my stomach, just a different size needle, so hopefully you don't have to do it again, but yes, you don't have to do it in the muscle. Although, some clinics prefer it that way, I guess.

I also have never had to fight the needle. Sorry you had such a rough time ((HUGS)). Praying it works so it will be allll worth it!