JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Supplements and DHEA thoughts (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2692599-supplements-and-dhea-thoughts.html)

*Leah* November 15th, 2013 11:31 AM

Supplements and DHEA thoughts

So I was on Ubiquinol, myo-inositol, vitamin D3, cod liver oil, Vitamin D, cellfood and a whole food prenatal & baby aspirin, royal jelly, maca... for the last 3 months (although the myo-inositol only a couple weeks & I tried melatonin w/it, but it made my asthma flare up at night...) before my IVF.

I think Lindsey mentioned ALA, (how much are you taking?) what else did you take to give you so many good eggies this cycle?

I'm confused about DHEA. I know it helps some women and totally is a flop for others. My fsh was 12 in April, I've never had my amh tested, but guessing it's low, being I only had 5 eggs this cycle. I want to try it, but it says you should be monitored. Has anyone here been monitored? Thoughts/comments re DHEA? Have any of you had good/bad results with it?

Anything else I should/could be taking to improve quality and what dosage?

I used to take pine bark extract and will again, and I'll be getting Dh on that again too.

I had 11 eggs in April and 5 this time. I was on more supplements this time, as well as losing over 25lbs. Could the caloric restriction (1200-1300) daily have anything to do with AFC or is that ridiculous? I did up my calories once I started stimming.

I'm just looking for any bits of random info that could help my next cycle....so please share away!

Lash November 15th, 2013 11:35 AM

The thing I read on the FSH boards is to get your DHEA tested before you start taking it because it already naturally occurs in your body and converts to testosterone so you want to see what those levels are before adding more in

kellyowens November 15th, 2013 12:54 PM

Re: Supplements and DHEA thoughts

After this cycle I will be taking all of those things as well (already taking most of them). The only other things on my list are wheatgrass juice which I'm already doing and a product called Fertiligreens.

I'm switching my folic acid supplement out for a methylfolate one. I've also heard 1c of green tea/day can be beneficial but not sure I'll add that one yet or not :).

I don't think your caloric intake is an issue. As long as your bmi is in a healthy range, you're not dropping weight unrealistically fast, and the foods you're consuming are nutritionally dense (lol, as in not 1300 cals worth of pop, chips, and a burger :D) then it shouldn't impact your fertility. If you are concerned you could easily add a healthful 200 more calories by eating 6oz of wild-caught salmon (not from China), 2tbsp hummus on a rice cake, organic low-fat cheese with a few olives, or plain greek yogurt with organic honey :). It shouldn't break your diet and would add valuable amounts of protein needed for good egg growth.

I could talk nutrition all day, lol, sorry :D! I dropped out of college to get married but my major was dietetics...hoping to finish that degree someday :).

Thinking of you always ♥

KMH November 15th, 2013 01:52 PM

Agree with Kelly...your caloric intake shouldn't have affected anything unless you had starved yourself down to a ridiculously low BMI.

:sneak: Heading to kitchen for greek yogurt and honey...such a great combo. Sometimes I season chicken breast strips with curry and saute, then dip them in the yogurt/honey combo. Sooooooooo delicious :hungry:

Lash November 15th, 2013 02:02 PM

I've never seen anything relating to calories and AFC. I HAVE seen a high correlation to high protein diets and improved egg quality. So that's something to look into for sure!

JessicaW November 15th, 2013 02:05 PM

Redacted.

Lash November 15th, 2013 02:13 PM

Did you mean to add a video of Single Embryo Transfer? Where are you hearing that is specifically helpful for high FSH clients? That's true for anyone considering IVF. It's obvious that a genetically screened embryo is less likely to miscarry. PCOS gals are just as likely to have aneuploidy and low quality embryo's, so this is helpful for anyone that can afford it in IVF, not just FSH patients. It's also true for anyone that carries genetic mutations of any kind.

Of course screening for good embryo's will help lessen miscarriage, but 1 out of every 4 women has a miscarriage, whether or not they have infertility issues, so it's not just a PCOS or High FSH kind of issue

*JenJen* November 15th, 2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaW (Post 27801048)
This isn't supplements but it is recommended for high FSH gals...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G-3ErLu...%3DG-3ErLujHvs

Good for avoiding m/c but expensive...

How is this helpful to improve egg quality for one more IVF cycle? Did you read her post where she mentioned they already bought a package and have to save up for the meds money still? I've never seen eSET specifically recommended just for high FSH, I've seen it said for most people- especially those that are going forward with their first IVF, not their 4th or more.

KMH November 15th, 2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lash (Post 27801047)
I HAVE seen a high correlation to high protein diets and improved egg quality. So that's something to look into for sure!

Oooh, that reminds me! One of our other grads was told to eat lots of eggs while stimming...something about the specific protein in eggs is supposed to help with egg quality. Tell DH you need a souffle or omelet every morning...in bed...with fresh-squeezed juice and a massage :)

Lash November 15th, 2013 04:34 PM

Yes Choline is in good abundance in the yellow of an egg!

kellyowens November 15th, 2013 04:56 PM

Ha...glad to be part of this thread because I did not know that! We get organic eggs from friends of ours...going to have to make a point to eat them more often :)!!

plan4fate November 15th, 2013 05:44 PM

I noticed when shopping for my inositol that it was often paired with choline in a 500mg/500mg ... now I understand why the choline. Thanks Lash.

*Leah* November 15th, 2013 07:33 PM

Ooooooooooh good info :).. re eggs...I get grassfed eggies from my acupuncturist's office haahaa....she has a client who brings in her grassfed, free range eggs...haahaa. redneck..yes...2$ dozen..good...eat up!

Lucy S. November 15th, 2013 10:41 PM

I am by no means an expect at this but during that brief high FSH scare, I had started those you take and also Blue-Green Algae, Spirulina, DIM (Diindolylmethane) and Chlorella.

JessicaW November 16th, 2013 07:13 AM

Guys, very sorry about my video post. I was thinking more about the banking and screening aspects of it to avoid m/c than the single aspect, but I can see how the single part would be inappropriate. And now that I think about it, I think they spend the first part talking about single transfer and don't get to banking and screening until the second part. I took it down. Apologies again.

KMH November 16th, 2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillwaiting (Post 27801635)
she has a client who brings in her grassfed, free range eggs...2$ dozen

Good grief...crappy eggs at Walmart are more than that! What a steal!

kayakr November 18th, 2013 08:35 AM

Leah - I took DHEA for about 6 or 7 months while we were only TTC and not MA. I was hoping for better egg quality so we didn't need IVF but as you know that never occurred. My CD3 numbers have always been in Normal range too but being 43 I new my eggs were still old. I was never monitored during those months I was taking DHEA so I have no evidence of anything other then I never got a BFP but don't forget we have MFI issues too with Morphology.

I had zero side effects that I can recall from taking the DHEA either that I know of.

*Leah* November 18th, 2013 10:48 AM

Thanks Gretchen...I'm afraid to take it, on the chance it will mess my old eggs up even more! I'm going to ask my RE at our follow up.

kayakr November 18th, 2013 10:55 AM

How old are you Leah? 36?

*Leah* November 18th, 2013 11:02 AM