JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   SHG (Sonohystrogram) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/320081-shg-sonohystrogram.html)

mrsracatoe September 26th, 2006 07:44 PM

This topic is for SHG (Sonohystrogram).

Nykoal October 4th, 2006 09:44 AM

An SHG is an u/s with saline procedure that looks at the shape of the uterus as well as looks at the tubes.I was told to take 2 Advil & 2 Extra Strength Tylenol about an hour before my appointment (HIGHLY recommend the meds!!!).

When the doctor started she cleaned my cervix and inserted the cathater, then the vag. u.s was also inserted. They looked around and gradually added saline and monitored where it went via a doppler. They also looked at the shape of my uterus and if my tubes were clear. Then they inserted a balloon that inflated and gave a better view of my uterus shape. It feels like an uncomfortable pap test and usually only last about 10 minutes. They can look and see where the saline goes and if it goes out of the tubes (as it should). If the tubes are blocked it can cause pain as can scar tissue when they inflat the balloon. I felt some pressure and AF like cramps when they inserted everything, but that was it.

After it's all done the saline will leak out and it's best to bring a pad with you because you will most likely spot for a few hours or the rest of the day. In addition to the doctor being present, there is also an U/S Tech and a Radiologist in the room to interprete the results and tell the tech where to look and scan.

toomuchtime75 January 21st, 2007 02:22 PM

:D Hello all! Just wanted to let you know that I had an SHG and it wasn't bad at all!! I was sooo nervous, and now I just wanted to ease some of your minds and let you know, it didn't hurt at all! There was a little pressure, but other than that, the only thing that was a bit painful, but still not bad, was the insertion of the speculum in general.. No different than an exam though. I didn't feel the saline, other than feeling like I needed to go pee.. So, hopefully this will help ease your minds a bit and not be nervous about this one!

LisaB January 23rd, 2007 01:36 PM

Hi there! I'm so glad your SHG went well! I'm just curious though, a sonyhystrogram (sp?) sounds like a hysterosalpingogram (HSG). Are they the same thing with different names? Or is this strictly ultrasound-only, no x-rays involved?

Nykoal January 24th, 2007 08:38 PM

Basically a SHG and a HSG are similar except the HSG involved a dye and xray, and the SHG is done with saline and an u/s and doppler radar. Pretty mch everything else is the same though.

Sneetch February 23rd, 2010 05:02 PM

Re: SHG (Sonohystrogram)

I've had both (HSG and SHG), and they are almost the same thing. An HSG is done in radiology and an SHG is done with ultrasound, but to your body they are basically the same thing.

BlueLight January 14th, 2011 06:45 PM

Having my second SHG done next week. I really don't see why I need it since I had a HSG done last year. It's not like my tubes are going to be miraculously unblocked and the shape of my uterus is going to change but I've really got no choice if I want to get y IVF done next month. :shrugs:

jessicat375 July 24th, 2011 12:05 PM

I have one Thursday and im scared to death!!

haeroine August 8th, 2012 02:29 PM

Hello, I thought I'd throw in my experiences with the HSG vs. hysterosonogram tests. The HSG (hysterosalpingogram) was incredibly painful. The balloon inflation alone hurt badly, so I just kept chatting with the girl holding my hand and taking deep breaths. The dye injection caused a shocking, strong contraction on the last push even though I had no blockages. I screamed, it was so strong. I had taken ibuprofen before hand which did not help. But, after the catheter was removed I had no pain at all and the whole thing was pretty quick. However, I will say that the contrast dye remained in my uterus, dumping out suddenly hours before my next period started. That was odd and I'm glad I didn't get pregnant that month.

I just had the hysterosonogram done. I was very nervous, given my HSG experience. This was for IVF prep, so it was preceded by the mock embryo transfer which felt like an IUI. The scrubbing of the cervix causes mild, but quick, pain, and that's the first step with any of these. The catheter for the hysterosonogram seemed larger than for the mock embryo transfer, and it caused a fairly strong cramp before the saline was even pushed in. So, I started panicking that it would get way worse with the saline. The doctor scurried around looking for some lidocaine to inject, but couldn't find any. However, that few-minute delay was enough for the cramping to subside. The saline was pushed very slowly an caused only some discomfort/pressure, no bad cramps. I would just recommend if the catheter triggers any pain to get them to wait a few minutes and take it slow. Unlike the HSG test, I have had cramps all day after the hysterosonogram, even after advil and naproxen sodium the doc gave me, and once again, the fluid has not come out at all.