JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Thinking of having another Fertility Workup (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/593063-thinking-having-another-fertility-workup.html)

*CAMM* May 31st, 2007 04:21 PM

We go to see my RE on tuesday and I think im going to ask him to order another fertility work up for me. He has never actually done one, he went off of what my OB did and thought I had which he disagreed with what the OB thought. Im starting to think that maybe my OB was right about her findings.

Her findings were:
Anovulatory cycles
PCOS
Insulin Resistant
Low progesterone
Lining of the uterus didnt correspond to cycle days

My RE said that the fact that I have regular 28 day cycles would prove that none of that was true and that she did the test on the wrong days....but im starting to wonder.

Also after my failed Gift cycle and my eggs not making it to blast stage im starting to wonder about my egg quality. My mother started going through menopause at 35 and her mother started early too and had to have a hysterectomy at 28. I have wicked periods each month...heavy, severe cramping, pms at least 1 week if not 2 weeks before AF, bad back cramps as well. My mom has these types of periods as well but they only got this severe when she was in her late 20's..my periods have been this way since i came of birth control at age 20. What if im going through premature ovarian failure... i know this is not common in young women but it does happen. It might explain why my eggs did so crappy in the lab...and my blighted ovum.

I just think its odd that a 23yrd old woman would have so many problems with embryo development....

I think there has to be a reason for our failed IUI cycles and this gift cycle..and it cant be blamed on dh's sperm because that number has risen and in GIFT they put the little buggers right next to the eggs.

Sorry this was so long..ive been writing out questions for my RE so i thought id post a few to share with you guys :blush:

TheMommyProject June 1st, 2007 05:17 AM

I think requesting a new workup is a good idea. Especially given that your RE discounted all of your OB's findings. To me, it seems a bit odd that your OB would've been wrong about a list of things. One thing maybe, but 5 or 6?

I don't think I'd jump as far as saying it's premature ovarian failure yet, I'm sure that's not the case. What about endometriosis? Your symptom of having severe cramping (especially after coming off of BC) is one indication there. One of the REs at my clinic was doing a study on the affect of endo on egg quality. They seem to have statistics that point to the two being connected - still in research mode, but there may be something there.

Regardless, I would go through with the new workup. It's very possible that you just had a bad GIFT cycle and there is nothing further there to worry about. Or, maybe there is something else going on and it's better to know that before going into another GIFT or even an IUI cycle.

Good luck!

kticesk8s June 1st, 2007 09:12 AM

What she said! :-) I agree -- if your RE does not feel confident with your OB's diagnoses, I would definitely get his take as well.

*CAMM* June 1st, 2007 04:02 PM

I thought maybe i had a bit of endometriosis but my first lap came back negative and when he did my Gift cycle he checked again for endo and didnt find any.
I know that even if i do have what my OB thought i had that meds can help with all of them, and the fact that i got preg once on my own is a good sign but id still like to know for sure. Its just so hard not knowing what the problem is.