JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive Older Members (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f260-trying-to-conceive-older-members/)
-   -   New to Boards and Clomid (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f260-trying-to-conceive-older-members/2712680-new-to-boards-and-clomid.html)

mrsdean1973 March 16th, 2014 12:11 PM

New to Boards and Clomid

Hi, my name is Jenn.

I'm 40 years old and my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about a year on and off. We had a miscarriage in January of 2013 at about 5 weeks, then I had an emergency appendectomy in March 2013, and then I had uterine fibroids removed in Sept. of 2013. So the trying really has been on and off since we had to stop for the two surgeries.

I have a 14 year old boy from a previous relationship but my husband, who is 7 years younger, doesn't have any children of his own.

My doctor is giving me a 3 month round of Clomid starting this month. This is pretty much our last chance because our medical insurance does not pay for any kind of fertility help. We are paying for the Clomid out of pocket, so we're thankful that it isn't expensive.

I just wanted to introduce myself on this board because I'm looking for some support from others who may have gone through or are going through the same things I am.

Does anyone have any advice about taking the Clomid? Or any other aspect of trying at my age? Alternative therapies or anything that might help?

Thank you very much.

Believingforonemore March 16th, 2014 01:01 PM

Re: New to Boards and Clomid

Welcome! I'm Rae, I'm 42, I've been ttc for 17 months now. I've had a couple of surgeries also. I have endo and uterine fibro's also. I've had two surgeries to remove them both and have lost one of my fallopian tubes. So here I am... My last surgery was in July 2013. I had a m/c back in October and nothing since. Alot of us ladies here have had m/c's so we understand your pain and suffering. I'm trying Femara for the first time. I've had no experience with Clomid but a few here have. So far all I've had is a bunch of spotting so I'm not feeling confident about this month. I hope you have a short stay here. Good luck and just jump in girl!

Renee360 March 16th, 2014 02:38 PM

I did Clomid and Femara for a few cycles. I would take it at night before bed in case of S/E which weren't all that bad. I experienced mini hot flashes and a couple of head aches. My CM didn't dry up but there wasn't a lot of it. You can take EPO to increase CM though.

Welcome to JM!

lelila March 16th, 2014 03:02 PM

Welcome Jenn! I'm Leia, 40, and DH and I tried for several years - taking breaks for surgery and illness over and over again. We had two losses that were both blamed on my age. It is a frustrating process and the sadness from loss can make many couples give up altogether. We are finally in the home stretch of a pregnancy with our rainbow.

I don't have personal experience with Clomid but have a close friend who used it and got pregnant on the first month with both her kids. Tracking your cycle, temps, CM and using OPKs might improve your chances if you are on a limited time frame. But it sounds like you probably already know / do all those things.This is a great forum and the ladies here are awesome. I hope you find complete success and have a great time while you are here.

Posgo001 March 16th, 2014 05:32 PM

Welcome, Jenn! I'm Paula, 42, and DH and I have been ttc since November. I had a tubal reversal surgery and got a BFP in December that resulted in a m/c at the end of the January. We took February off, and we are back at ttc again. I use OPKs, softcups, progesterone, and I temp, of course. I don't know much about clomid, although if I'm not pregnant by the end of the summer, that is where we are heading. Anyhow, welcome! This is a great board with a lot of ladies supporting each other on this journey. As Rae said "jump in, girl!"

mrsdean1973 March 17th, 2014 04:43 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome, Ladies.

I am trying very hard not to stress too much about the outcome in the next three months. I keep telling myself to be positive and trust that if a baby is in God's plan for us, it will happen.

ctymom March 17th, 2014 04:57 AM

Welcome Jenn! I'm 44 and DH is 38. We have other children but are trying to have one between us. This is our 4th cycle trying. Shame insurance wont pay for fertility help with you both. They see it as knowing they have to pay for a pregnancy later and heaven knows they only want the monthly money rather than paying out. I dont have advice regarding the clomid. I'm charting temps and just starting with OPK's this month.

Again welcome!

Renee360 March 17th, 2014 07:48 AM

We'll be here to keep you company. :)

I forgot to introduce myself..

I'm Renee TTC#3. My boys are almost 7 and 8 years. This is my 12 cycle TTC and I've had 3 CP. I try and not test too early, but I can't help myself.
Jump right in and hopefully your TTC is short and sweet.