JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive With PCOS (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f149-trying-to-conceive-pcos/)
-   -   Pcos and miscarriage...worried :( (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f149-trying-to-conceive-pcos/1518971-pcos-and-miscarriage-worried.html)

irunpink April 13th, 2009 11:46 AM

Pcos and miscarriage...worried :(

HI Ladies,

I tend to be on the pessimistic side :(, especially re. me getting pregnant on this month's first cycle of Clomid. I think I am the most worried about a potential miscarriage. I've heard different things, not sure how much of it is true and/or why it's true, so if you all can help clear things up--that'd be great!

Here are my concerns/questions:
  • Why do women with pcos have an increased risk of having a miscarriage?
  • Do women with pcos tend to have 'damaged' eggs because they don't ovulate on a monthly basis (I only ovulate about 3 times a year, if I'm lucky)?
  • Why does Clomid increase ones risk for having a miscarriage?

THANK YOU!

*Mrs.J.2011* April 13th, 2009 11:57 AM

Re: Pcos and miscarriage...worried :(

Welcome! I'm Kaleigh (23) DB is Chris (24) we have been TTC #1 since July. I was dx'd when I was 15. I replied to another of your questions on a different board earlier, its nice to see you found us!

I wish I could answer these questions, unfortunately I've been wondering all the same! I dont *think* there has been enough research to answer those unfortunately, (at least with a lot of accuracy) but I hope someone can prove me wrong!!! Ladies?

I see you are from MA! Me too, what part? I'm originally from a small town out near Concord, but now I live in the Worcester area.

irunpink April 13th, 2009 12:08 PM

Hi Again,

Thanks for responding to my posts :D! I am actually in Cambridge for the next two years while my hubby finishes law school--it's my first year in the Boston area, we just moved from Texas about a year ago (and I'm originally from California) so I've been all over :)!

*Mrs.J.2011* April 13th, 2009 12:49 PM

Very nice! Boston is such a great place! I love living in MA! I grew up here so I'm bias, but still haha

MamaAnna April 13th, 2009 01:23 PM

From what I've read it isn't so much that PCOS causes a higher miscarriage risk, but that the problems associated with your particular case can cause problems. Extremely high testosterone levels or very poor progesterone levels are two of the problems that can cause PCOS related miscarriage. If they already know you have those problems though they can treat them accordingly. It seemed like a lot of the miscarriages I read about occurred before the actual diagnosis or occurred due to an incompetent doctor.

Hope this helps!

irunpink April 13th, 2009 05:13 PM

Kaleigh-there is so much to do here; it's nice that it's finally Spring, the flowers are so beautiful here, we don't get seasons in TX! :) I saw in another post you're getting an HSG soon? I get mine this Monday! A little nervous about it...
MamaAnna-thanks for the info; the strange thing with me is that I don't have hormonal imbalances, last time they checked, everything seemed right...so maybe that's a good thing? I know it's hard to say, I don't know what's causing my cysts...

MamaAnna April 13th, 2009 06:13 PM

No hormonal imbalances is a GREAT thing. For me the issue was low estrogen so I couldn't get pregnant. Once I did though there was nothing else to raise the risk of miscarriage. It still scared the daylights out of me for a long time though.

irunpink April 14th, 2009 06:55 AM

Thanks for the encouragement :). I'm not sure what causes my irregularity and cysts; I was just diagnosed with celiac disease...maybe that has something to do with it?

*Mrs.J.2011* April 14th, 2009 06:57 AM

Yup HSG is today! I'm so nervous!!

My fSIL has celiac, so does one of my BFF and my grandmother.. Its actually becoming a pretty common diagnosis! I'm sorry you were dx'd with it. Some of the food my fSIL makes is pretty darn good tho! lol

Yup HSG is today! I'm so nervous!!

My fSIL has celiac, so does one of my BFF and my grandmother.. Its actually becoming a pretty common diagnosis! I'm sorry you were dx'd with it. Some of the food my fSIL makes is pretty darn good tho! lol

irunpink April 15th, 2009 09:13 AM

I'm glad your HSG went well--I saw your tubes were all clear-that's great! My HSG is less than a week away, I am so nervous :P.