JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f242-trying-to-conceive-while-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Advice please! Chart or not chart? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f242-trying-to-conceive-while-breastfeeding/1544986-advice-please-chart-not-chart.html)

Mommy2Dakota May 2nd, 2009 09:58 AM

Advice please! Chart or not chart?

After the disapointment of being so sure last cycle was IT I am wondering - shall I chart up to ovulation this cycle so I can keep an eye on my luteal phase length or shall I not chart at all and see how that goes? I won't have a clue if we have done it at the right time (although I am hoping we get to bed every other day from CD10 onwards). I was thinking I could just mark something like CD40 on my chart (my cycle is between 24 and 30 days long) so maybe I can just forget about it and it will either come or not come and I might suddenly look at the calendar and go 'oh my, AF didn't come, better test' lol - like it'll be that easy! But you know - do I go for peace of mind in charting or the hope of not obsessing and not getting my hopes up by not charting?

JO xxx

frgsonmysox May 2nd, 2009 02:03 PM

Re: Advice please! Chart or not chart?

charting while breastfeeding can be very inaccurate. Read "Taking Charge of your Fertility" it explains it better.

Kisses-4-Baby May 3rd, 2009 12:19 AM

Might as well chart anyway I reckon. If it was me I would still be obsessing even if I had no chart to look at lol
IMO I would at least chart up to O (find out the O day) only because then you could keep an eye on your LP.
Let us know what you decide

Elise :smile:

Mommy2Dakota May 3rd, 2009 12:44 AM

Ok! I'm surprised...lol...but yeah, at least if your saying I should chart at least upto ovulation then I know thats a sound reason and not just me tricking myself into obsessing again! haha. And keeping an eye on my LP does help, even if I don't get a BFP cos at least I know things are as they should be.

THANKS

Jo xxx

frgsonmysox May 3rd, 2009 06:25 AM

Like I said though, when breastfeeding your chart can be inaccurate. Meaning, it could look like you ovulated when you didn't.

Kisses-4-Baby May 3rd, 2009 06:40 AM

I can see the point Beth makes. When Jayden was breastfeeding alot more, I thought I ovulated heaps of times because I would get that pattern but then my temps would just taper off, which was sooooo frustrating. I got crosshairs more than once anyway.

But, Jo, I would *think* that since Dakota is 33 months and only BF a few times, charting would be fairly accurate??

Mommy2Dakota May 3rd, 2009 08:50 AM

You remembered she is 33mths? I'm impressed! :D I need to get a ticker up! But yeah, I think charting is probably less accurate in the earlier months before PPAF arrives? Not sure about after that but I've been charting since Feb 2008. I did have one weird cycle but that was way back. I think I trust my temps enough as they have shown consitant ovulation patterns.

The trickiest part is getting an accurate morning temp as sometimes D's nursing causes me to wake too early and stops me going back into a deep sleep.

Ps - so...how do I get a ticker to stay put?

2Reasons2Smile May 4th, 2009 08:49 AM

I would temp and chart up to ovulation but not after I think lol just my thoughts

As for the ticker go to Lilypie.com or any other site that you can make tickers and then you'll need to go to the top of the screen and click on Quick Links, then go down the little list and click on Edit Signature, it will the take you to a new screen and you then in the box allotted add the BBC code from the ticker site once you have made a ticker just copy and paste the whole thing and then hit preview signature so you can make sure it is the there right and if its in there right so showing the ticker then hit save signature. and there you go you should have your permanent ticker in your signature! Send me a PM if you can't get it to work and I'll see if I can help better!

Mommy2Dakota May 4th, 2009 09:01 AM

Oh thanks! I been dying to get a ticker up so I don't have to keep saying 'my daughter is xxx mths!' :D

Jo xxx

Mommy2Dakota May 4th, 2009 09:36 AM

Just testing my ticker works!

2Reasons2Smile May 4th, 2009 09:44 AM

wahoo glad you got it too work and I see you also made it so you don't have to type your Jo xxx everytime either. Thats the great thing about tickers save you some time in you typing

Mommy2Dakota May 5th, 2009 11:41 AM

LOL, I know! Was always a pain having to remember to sign my posts!

THANKS!

Mommy2Dakota May 5th, 2009 11:41 AM

LOL, I know! Was always a pain having to remember to sign my posts!

THANKS!

bostoncreampie May 5th, 2009 01:04 PM

I wouldn't chart... We are TTC now but not charting. It seems like more hassle than anything. I feel like taking the more laid back approach of DTD every few days and more often around EWCM makes most sense.

bostoncreampie May 5th, 2009 01:04 PM

I wouldn't chart... We are TTC now but not charting. It seems like more hassle than anything. I feel like taking the more laid back approach of DTD every few days and more often around EWCM makes most sense.

Mommy2Dakota May 6th, 2009 01:17 AM

My cm hasn't been a reliable method at all so I am forgetting looking/charting that but charting my temps have always been helpful, esp when a drop tells me to expect AF. But it is getting a bit much - I couldn't sleep cos I was anxious to take my temp at the end of last cycle, which of course is completely bad for taking an accurate temp! And then after AF came I lost interest totally (how weird I went from obsessive temp taking to totally forgetting so quickly). Now I am starting to take it again, but only to know my ovulation. This will be my third cycle with 200mg B6 - which in turn hopefully means the third cycle with a healthy luteal phase. If it is similar enough to the last two cycles then maybe I will feel more confident to drop charting and 'trying' so hard at ttc, so long as I know my ovulation is between CD14 and Cd20 then we can bed more between CD10 and 20 to cover it.
So, this cycle I'll chart up to ovulation only then next cycle stop charting, right? Sounds like a plan! :)