JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f242-trying-to-conceive-while-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Low milk supply? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f242-trying-to-conceive-while-breastfeeding/1587052-low-milk-supply.html)

10x_A_Mommy June 4th, 2009 08:48 PM

Low milk supply?

I've breastfed all 6 of my children, never not once have I have had a dip in my supply. So I was quite shocked tonight when Gavin frantically switched back n forth from one breast to another, squeezing, pinching, pulling, getting mad. I tried to hand express some milk and got nothing - not even a drop. I've heard of supply issues during pregnancy - but it's not possible at only 6 dpo..........is it? I really don't see that being possible, but thought I'd ask anyway. I even breastfed through 6 months of my last pregnancy and never had any supply issues. All day my supply seemed fine, and he didn't nurse any more through the day than he normally does.

Confused :confused:

Mommy2Dakota June 5th, 2009 12:31 AM

Re: Low milk supply?

Are you taking anything? I know Elise (I think) had supply probs when trying Agnus Castus?

It would also be very unlikely to be directly due to implantation (although 6dpo is the earliest for implanting and a progesterone surge might have that effect on you)

10x_A_Mommy June 5th, 2009 05:38 AM

I'm not taking anything, eating drinking habits haven't changed, stress level isn't any different than normal, not sick, etc. If I conceived it's highly possible implantation was yesterday just based on past history of 8-9dpo bfp's in other pregnancies. But I definitely won't count it as a pg symptom. Just needed to hear someone else say that it was very unlikely to have a supply issue this early :)

Whatever the cause, I hope it fixes itself soon! I am so not ready to stop nursing.

Mommy2Dakota June 5th, 2009 07:54 AM

Well I'm stumped then! But then I've only nursed (am nursing) one child! :)

You could ask on this forum: Breastfeeding older babies and beyond
Mamapunkin is a mum who has nursed many children over many many years so may have some experience to give!

Kisses-4-Baby June 5th, 2009 08:10 AM

Very odd... is Gavin perhaps having a growth spurt?

10x_A_Mommy June 5th, 2009 08:14 AM

Thanks Jo, I'll see how today goes.

Elise - I don't think he's going through a growth spurt, he's 13 months old so has actually slowed down on growing - and he hasn't been nursing more often than usual.

I'm going to try to get him to nurse a bit more often today see if that helps bring up the supply some.

TheBoyMaker June 5th, 2009 08:55 AM

Have you had your thyroid checked? That can definately change milk supply.

10x_A_Mommy June 5th, 2009 08:59 AM

I do have hyperthyroidism - have had it for years though and it never changed my supply.

janets June 8th, 2009 11:12 AM

Have you ever tried taking fenugreek sprouts? They are supposed to increase your milk supply with no side effects

bostoncreampie June 8th, 2009 12:40 PM

Wow, that sucks. My supply has majorly decreased with having my period now. Now that it's finished, my supply is coming back up. So I would think that the same could happen the first week into a pregnancy. Hormones are strong things!

10x_A_Mommy June 8th, 2009 07:31 PM

Reason found lol - I'm Pregnant!

thrashej June 21st, 2009 11:24 AM

Congrats on the pregnancy!!!

Have you found your milk supply to continue dropping off? that is one of my main fears with a new pg...no more milk for Cory!:(

10x_A_Mommy June 21st, 2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrashej (Post 16300375)
Congrats on the pregnancy!!!

Have you found your milk supply to continue dropping off? that is one of my main fears with a new pg...no more milk for Cory!:(

One day it's fine, the next day it's very low. He nurses the same each day too so it's weird. With my last pregnancy I never had any supply issues at all. In fact, it almost seemed that I was making More milk. So dealing with the low supply is all very new and confusing to me. He seems to have plenty in the morning, but by bedtime he seems to be 'dry nursing' every night. I'll try and try to hand express and won't even get a drop of milk most nights. He eats table food too so I'm not worried about his nutrition, I just really don't want him to stop nursing yet. We've only tried giving him cow's milk once - well dh did when I was at the grocery store - and he got terribly constipated. That's never happened to any of my other kids, they all handled cow's milk just fine.

I've also noticed he doesn't seem to like the taste of the milk anymore. He still wants to nurse, but is very fidgety, latches on and off, gets mad, etc. Even when I know he's getting milk.