JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive While Breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f242-trying-to-conceive-while-breastfeeding/)
-   -   Any advice? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f242-trying-to-conceive-while-breastfeeding/2100253-any-advice.html)

Psalm139 September 10th, 2010 05:20 PM

Any advice?

Hi all, I've never posted here before but after posting this in my playroom someone directed me here. Here's the deal:

So, our little man turned 6 months on Tuesday. I feel like there is now no reason to hold back on our ttc journey. I'm 33 and dh and I would love to have 2 to 3 more kids. (We got married only 2 years ago so we are starting off a little late and I feel like that clock is ticking...).

I've been EBF so far and will continue to bf until our little man is at least one, I think. We started solids this week. Tried him on bits of whole sweet potato, but he doesn't seem very interested yet.

So anyhow, my question. I still haven't started AF. Is there anything I can be doing to get her back sooner (aside from weaning before 1)? I read somewhere that once they start sleeping more than 6 hours straight your chances go up. He was doing that, but lately he's been only averaging about 4 before waking up.

I'm wondering too, if I did purees instead of the baby led weaning thing, if it might help him get more full and therefore reduce the number of feedings somewhat and therefore increase my chances of starting to ovulate again. Dunno.

So just wondering if anyone has any advice. And also wanted to ask for praying mamas to begin praying that God would help us have another sooner rather than later. We'd both love a large family, but I worry about all the risks for babies that increase as I get closer to/over 35.

Thanks y'all!

*PurpleMidnight* September 11th, 2010 11:12 PM

Re: Any advice?

hi. For me after ds #2 it took 9 months after weaning to get AF back. So was 2 then, then I was very fertile and got pregnant after that forst AF. It can vary for person to person when they get AF back after baby and breastfeeding or not.

littlestinkers October 12th, 2010 07:15 PM

I agree it is soooo different for everyone on how bfing affects them. My sil is bfing her 7 month old and I am bfing my 14 month old she just got her 2nd af and I am still waiting on ppaf. I am ttc she is not.. so figure... :( With my 1st I got ppaf at 15 months pp and he self weaned at 15 months. My twins I weaned them at 13 months(in sept) and got pg with out a ppaf in Nov. I am hoping my ppaf well come like it did with my 1st so next month..

Ali15 October 14th, 2010 12:05 PM

Lurking -- and thought I would tell you my experience. My DS#2 was almost 8 months when I got my first PPAF. He was EBF from birth until I started him on solids (purees) at 6 months (and he is still nursing). Like the others have said...everyone is different!

Hoping you ovulate soon, so your family can grow!

bmarti07 October 20th, 2010 09:46 AM

Another lurker here. My dd is 11 months and still bf'ing but eating lots of solids. Still no AF. I thought I was going to get one at 8 mos. as I had a brief episode of spotting...but NADA.

Good luck! I have heard of people getting pregnant before they resume their periods...not sure if they just get pregnant on what would have been their first cycle?

ShawnaCAN October 20th, 2010 09:58 AM

Every woman's fertility is affected by breastfeeding differently. For some, fertility returns right away in spite of BFing. For others, it returns once baby starts sleeping longer at night or when solids are introduced. And for others, it doesn't return until after weaning.

There isn't really anything you can do encourage your fertility to come back without weaning. However, you can start tracking your CM because after 6 months PP - the chance of ovulating before your first period is higher. With charting you will be able to tell if you are still in a state of BFing infertility (if the CM remains the same day after day), or if your fertility is beginning to return and hopefully catch the first egg!